Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

The fact people are defending referees is crazy. This strike is also about their integrity being called into question according to many places. It only seems to be ex referees who are saying it is about the safety of their families and even if it was how the fuck could a strike change that? It is a matter for the police. It should be quite clear to referees why their integrity has been called into question, Celtic have been made a scapegoat when its their own colleague who has caused this.

Dougie McDonald wasn't protecting anyone, the rules state that the assistant should only flag if the referee doesn't have a good view of an incident, which he did, so the assistant wouldn't have been marked down. McDonald was protecting himself, don't fool yourself. He then told a lie to a manager about the situation, how can any manager be expected to believe him again. It's clear that Celtic aren't the reason for this strike, referees having the cheek to ask why their integrity has been called into question when one of them has openly lied to a manager are just being idiots.

Also, what is the fucking point of a strike when they have no demands? If they don't want criticised then what stops players, managers etc then going on strike. Everyone is open to criticism. If people in my work start criticising the way I'm doing my job if I'm constantly making wrong decisions

then I'm pretty sure my boss would be unhappy that I'm causing unrest rather than that I'm being criticised. Referees need to fucking man up.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a pedant. It's the same at Ibrox or Parkhead. Why would he mention Parkhead in that interview? :rolleyes:

Or wait, are you saying that because he doesn't mention Celtic that the he has a point, but it's only at Ibrox that stuff like that happens? And that leads me on to my next point...

Yes, it's fine for ANY manager to criticise a ref, as long as it's justified and it isn't done with an accusation of bias. The talk coming out of Celtic Park has been with a very obvious subtext, which has been picked up on by sections of Celtic fans, that bias against Celtic is there and bias against Celtic is bias towards Rangers.

Also, when other managers have done so they have been swiftly dealt with. The SFA are pretty much scared to come out and say 'Its because of Celtic'. It's all this 'Certain individuals have made comments but I don't want to personalise it'.

Go to the BBC Sport website - the main source of Scottish Football media coverage - they have a link to a video entitled 'Celtic v Refs Controversy'. It's because this entire thing is because of Celtic. It astounds me that you can argue that, but then I see you're clearly a Celtic fan and so it doesn't surprise me.

The World Is Against Us CSC.

What a pedant. It's the same at Ibrox or Parkhead. Why would he mention Parkhead in that interview? :rolleyes:

You said that Craig Levein said that you don't get decisions at Ibrox or Parkhead. He clearly didn't. He had no reason to mention Parkhead because his entire point was that Dundee United were never going to get any decisions in a game at Ibrox which could directly influence the outcome of the title race. He actually said that Mike McCurry would have been as well phoning him that morning and telling them not to bother turning up because Rangers were going to get the three points. Levein's words that day couldn't have been any clearer. How you manage to bring Celtic into that particular equation is beyond me.

Also, when other managers have done so they have been swiftly dealt with.

Neil Lennon is facing a potential four-match ban for comments made following the defeat at Tynecastle.

It's because this entire thing is because of Celtic. It astounds me that you can argue that, but then I see you're clearly a Celtic fan and so it doesn't surprise me.

My arguement hasn't been that this charade wasn't brought about by the fallout of the Dundee United-Celtic game. That clearly was the catalyst - and rightly so, because a referee has admitted to lying to Neil Lennon, the head of referees and in his match report and he is still officiating SPL games. Of course people are going to question the integrity of referees when self-confessed liars are officiating matches.

My point is to ask why this is all because of Celtic when every other SPL has been known to criticise officials - some more than once - and why the story is centering around that dastardly Celtic for demanding that referees be - shock horror! - honest?

As an aside, has anyone heard what head of referees Hugh Dallas thinks about all his referees taking strike action? Or is he still in hiding?

• Paid Members
My point is to ask why this is all because of Celtic when every other SPL has been known to criticise officials - some more than once - and why the story is centering around that dastardly Celtic for demanding that referees be - shock horror! - honest?

Because while other Clubs have criticised Referees performances, Celtic have consistantly implied that Referees DELIBERATELY give bad decisions against them in order to help Rangers. And, more importantly, their fans actually believe it.

You never hear of Referees receiving death threats from fans of any other Club do you? Even Rangers, who have more than their fair share of paranoid nutters in their support, don't try and intimidate Referees as much as Celtic do. Yes, McDonald was wrong to lie but if it turns out that he did so because he feared the reaction of Celtic supporters then it's hard not to feel a bit of sympathy for him. Can you honestly say that if he'd come out and said "I changed my mind" he would've suffered no backlash whatsoever?

Because while other Clubs have criticised Referees performances, Celtic have consistantly implied that Referees DELIBERATELY give bad decisions against them in order to help Rangers. And, more importantly, their fans actually believe it.

You never hear of Referees receiving death threats from fans of any other Club do you? Even Rangers, who have more than their fair share of paranoid nutters in their support, don't try and intimidate Referees as much as Celtic do. Yes, McDonald was wrong to lie but if it turns out that he did so because he feared the reaction of Celtic supporters then it's hard not to feel a bit of sympathy for him. Can you honestly say that if he'd come out and said "I changed my mind" he would've suffered no backlash whatsoever?

Sorry, where's the evidence that any referee has been threatened by a Celtic fan?

Given that threats were sent Collum's way after the Old Firm, I'd wager that it wasn't angry Rangers fans complaining about the penalty they got.

Just a hunch.

Given that Collum was said to be subjected to "sectarian abuse", and that we are always being told that Celtic are a largely Catholic club, I think it is debatable.

Given that threats were sent Collum's way after the Old Firm, I'd wager that it wasn't angry Rangers fans complaining about the penalty they got.

Just a hunch.

Given that Collum was said to be subjected to "sectarian abuse", and that we are always being told that Celtic are a largely Catholic club, I think it is debatable.

Are you saying that catholics can't be sectarian?

Just a hunch.

Are you saying that catholics can't be sectarian?

Not at all.

I'm asking why a Catholic would be sectarian towards another Catholic.

That still doesn't stop the fact that people may not have known, and I still have no idea why the threats would come from the Rangers dide here.

I'm not saying that they're coming from any side. I'm saying that it can't be said in a matter of fact fashion where the threats came from when there has been no evidence to show this.

Archived