Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Celtic chose to enter an agreement with Nike. They had no option but to wear a poppy on their shirts on Saturday and that was the basis of the Green Brigade banner. It wasn't a protest against people wearing poppies, as someone erroneously posted earlier, but a protest against the poppy appearing on the Celtic shirt.

Also, if Hugh Dallas was working for any other organisation in the world, he wouldn't be in a job this morning.

They never had a poppy on their shirts on Saturday.

I realise that and corrected myself when David pointed it out.

What's the point in a protest though? You either wear one or you don't. Why unfurl a spiteful, provocative banner about choosing not to wear one?

The banner wasn't about choosing not to wear a poppy. It was about the poppy being worn on the Celtic shirt, as it will be this coming weekend.

It would be hilarious if one of those charged with keeping such embarrassing issues out of the press was inadvertently responsible for the smelly stuff hitting the fan.

This is surely a reference to Daryll Broadfoot? Would absolutely love it if the lies that little cretin had his tabolid chums peddling in the last few weeks come back to bite him.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitter and twisted little men in a green brigade can fuck off as well...

As a club we should respect everyone in fact heres what the club have to say -

Celtic Football Club is for people who want to support a football club that strives for excellence in Scotland and in Europe, is proud of its history, supportive of its local community and seeks to support the following aims:

It's not about forcing people to wear a poppy. That's your choice. It's about protesting against wearing one.

Are they breaking the law? Was the banner illegal or something?

Peaceful protest is still a right we have in this country, is it not?

What's the point in a protest though? You either wear one or you don't. Why unfurl a spiteful, provocative banner about choosing not to wear one?

Sorry, I cannot abide by this bit in bold.

It is their right to protest. We live in a country of free speech. You may want to call it spiteful all you want, but I do not see what is provocative about it. It's possible to be both anti-poppy and against this banner. Relatives of mine fought and died in both World Wars - however, I am lucky enough to see the poppy for what it is and that is a recruitment drive to get working class kids to sign up for unjust wars.

I can never remember such a massive deal being made about the poppy and its 'cause' to such an extent that one is considered a second-class citizen if you aren't wearing one - it can't be paranoia to think that this nicely coincides with the fact that the public opinion of the British Army is at an all-time low because they are (once again) occupying countries they have no business in?

Be sure to tell them that the next time you're at Celtic Park.

I'm of the understanding that they populate the same part of the ground every week.

You're right and if the club carries through with these bannings that are rumoured, the ground will be like a funeral in a library.

As a share holder maybe i will just go to the next agm and voice my concern...

Bigots dont bother me see them everyday and laugh at them im not offended by name calling and always remember its a 90 minute game real life is still out there...

As for some crap its a recruitment drive behave yourself as it goes to helping the old and young guys that go out there and fight for this country i'd salute them any day of the week as there far braver than some of the donkeys on a terrace or the little bigots on the street...

As a share holder maybe i will just go to the next agm and voice my concern...

Bigots dont bother me see them everyday and laugh at them im not offended by name calling and always remember its a 90 minute game real life is still out there...

As for some crap its a recruitment drive behave yourself as it goes to helping the old and young guys that go out there and fight for this country i'd salute them any day of the week as there far braver than some of the donkeys on a terrace or the little bigots on the street...

Go onto the website explaining what poppys are for. It's not just to remember the world wars, its to salute the soldiers who fought in all wars for Britain. I appreciate what the army does but it is not bigoted to be against the poppy. Why should I salute soldiers in all these wars when I don't agree with half of them? If a poppy was just to remember world war 1 and 2 as it originally was, we wouldn't be having this debate.

As a club we should respect everyone in fact heres what the club have to say -

I'm not sure that these two statements compliment each other too well...

I don't think that the Green Brigade's banner on Saturday did themselves or the club any favours, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with peaceful protest. It is, after all, one of the liberties we enjoy thanks to those who died in the great wars.

EDIT to add: Just seen that a spokesman for Celtic claims that the club will ban those identified as having a part in the unfurling of the banner. Must admit that I find that statement more than a little surprising. The board is going to come in for a hell of a lot of stick if they go through with that. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the Green Brigade's opinion, such a move would be abhorrent.

Any time the 'IRA' or anything Irish-related comes from the Celtic support, we are always told (by the club, by the media and by everybody else) that politics has no place in football, which I agree with. Then the club goes and puts a poppy right there on the breast of the Celtic shirt - a highly political symbol - when they are fully aware that such a move would cause some consternation amongst the support. I don't see how Celtic can cry foul over this.

Okay here goes its not if you agree with the war if its you are willing to help the guys that got injured and there families for fighting for our country its not the guys fault we sent to war for us its the government!!!

If your issue is with government then take the fight to them but not to honour a guy who has put his life on the line and got killed or injured in the process is a disgrace...

Remember some of these guys are celtic supporters too...

The most disappointing thing about this situation is that the Green Brigade's banner has given the press exactly what they wanted and something to grab hold of so that the Dallas/SFA scandal will just fade into the background and never be talked of again.

Poorly timed, as we had a chance to really make a difference I believe.

Archived