Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Hmmm what odds on an Aberdeen/'Well final? :thumbsup: !

That would be grand! If it happens, i'll buy you a pint at Hampden! ;)

Do I get one too?

Not a chance!

In fairness I would prefer to beat Rangers in the final. I would settle for Motherwell though......not that I'm getting carried away or anything! :D

SHAMED referee Dougie McDonald has confessed to LYING over the Tannadice penalty U-turn.

But SFA top brass have let him off the hook and allowed him to stay on as a top-flight whistler.

McDonald has been "marked down" after a full-scale probe into the spot-kick row.

New SFA chief executive Stewart Regan has revealed the ref's initial version of events was "not true".

Regan says McDonald alone and NOT assistant Steven Craven overturned a penalty decision for Celtic two weeks ago. Craven quit in fury that his role in the flashpoint had not been truly reflected by the veteran ref.

Now Regan has admitted McDonald made up claims Craven played a prominent role in the spot-kick U-turn.

But he has NOT been demoted from coveted Grade One status and could still be handed Celts games - and even an Old Firm derby - in the future.

Regan said: "Dougie said things in the heat of the moment. They were not true. He said something he fully regretted, but there was no wilful intent in what he did.

"You can call it a lie if you wish. The view of the SFA Referee Committee was he acted on the spur of the moment. His head was spinning when he came off and he was gutted with himself for making the decision.

"Dougie has apologised to everybody - Steven, his family, the SFA and the Referees' Association.

"He is full of remorse. This is a guy with 29 years' experience and an unblemished record.

"He is one of Scotland's leading referees. He wants to prove he is still one of the leading referees."

Regan launched a probe after Celts demanded an explanation of the U-turn.

McDonald pointed to the spot after Gary Hooper clashed with Dundee United keeper Dusan Pernis. He immediately realised he'd made an error as Pernis had touched the ball.

He spoke to Craven before changing his mind and restarting the game with a drop ball.

It's understood McDonald told refs' observer Jim McBurney that he changed his mind after Craven shouted "Dougie, Dougie" in his earpiece.

SFA refs' chief Hugh Dallas publicly repeated that version of events 24 hours later amid a furious backlash from Celts fans.

Now McDonald has held up his hands - and he will be fourth official at Tynecastle tomorrow when Hearts face Kilmarnock.

The way this country's football association is run is a shambles.

• Paid Members

Regan said: "Dougie said things in the heat of the moment. They were not true. He said something he fully regretted, but there was no wilful intent in what he did.

"Dougie has apologised to everybody - Steven, his family, the SFA and the Referees' Association.

"He is full of remorse. This is a guy with 29 years' experience and an unblemished record.

"He is one of Scotland's leading referees. He wants to prove he is still one of the leading referees."

These are the most important parts though.

The man made a mistake and while he shouldn't have tried to pass the blame or hide his mistake the truth of the matter is that it WASN'T a penalty.

There is a small part of me that can't help but think that guys like Lennon expect to be given favourable treatment.

• Paid Members
...But I go to most of my teams games, unlike Martyn. :devil:

30sy9hv.gif

He must be hard at work today. He's seen my little post yet hasn't replied.

Busy Saturday today Martyn?

Nah, only joking.

Unfortunately I don't see us building on our two wins this week. I see us going down to a 1-0 loss today in Paisley. No doubt another injury aswell!

Would be delighted if we could get a win and for Vernon to bag a goal or two. However, if we are to get into Europe two wins in the weeks leading up to our trip to Ibrox are essential in my opinion.

• Paid Members
...But I go to most of my teams games, unlike Martyn. :devil:

30sy9hv.gif

He must be hard at work today. He's seen my little post yet hasn't replied.

Busy Saturday today Martyn?

Nah, only joking.

Unfortunately I don't see us building on our two wins this week. I see us going down to a 1-0 loss today in Paisley. No doubt another injury aswell!

Would be delighted if we could get a win and for Vernon to bag a goal or two. However, if we are to get into Europe two wins in the weeks leading up to our trip to Ibrox are essential in my opinion.

Yeah i am pretty busy. Thanks Pattencourt. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo....Aberdeen will do just fine today. St Mirrens hapless defence will no doubt allow Paul Hartley to add to his penalty tally today! :D

SHAMED referee Dougie McDonald has confessed to LYING over the Tannadice penalty U-turn.

But SFA top brass have let him off the hook and allowed him to stay on as a top-flight whistler.

McDonald has been "marked down" after a full-scale probe into the spot-kick row.

New SFA chief executive Stewart Regan has revealed the ref's initial version of events was "not true".

Regan says McDonald alone and NOT assistant Steven Craven overturned a penalty decision for Celtic two weeks ago. Craven quit in fury that his role in the flashpoint had not been truly reflected by the veteran ref.

Now Regan has admitted McDonald made up claims Craven played a prominent role in the spot-kick U-turn.

But he has NOT been demoted from coveted Grade One status and could still be handed Celts games - and even an Old Firm derby - in the future.

"You can call it a lie if you wish. The view of the SFA Referee Committee was he acted on the spur of the moment. His head was spinning when he came off and he was gutted with himself for making the decision.

Regan launched a probe after Celts demanded an explanation of the U-turn.

McDonald pointed to the spot after Gary Hooper clashed with Dundee United keeper Dusan Pernis. He immediately realised he'd made an error as Pernis had touched the ball.

He spoke to Craven before changing his mind and restarting the game with a drop ball.

It's understood McDonald told refs' observer Jim McBurney that he changed his mind after Craven shouted "Dougie, Dougie" in his earpiece.

SFA refs' chief Hugh Dallas publicly repeated that version of events 24 hours later amid a furious backlash from Celts fans.

Now McDonald has held up his hands - and he will be fourth official at Tynecastle tomorrow when Hearts face Kilmarnock.

The way this country's football association is run is a shambles.

I'm not too concerned about this whole saga, seeing as we won and it wasn't a real clear cut stonewaller. But one thing i can't get my head around is this idea of him giving it then suddenly deciding he had made a mistake. If you see something, you form an opinion, and if you haven't saw anything further to that, how can you possibly do an about turn and decide to go against your initial instincts. When anybody watches a game of football, they decide what they thought of an incident in real-time and the only thing that will change their views is seeing it again on replay.

Archived