CHIKARA: The Offical Thread

Boon Town Rat

Finally got the KOT shows today and spent all day watching them.

There was only one match I struggled with and that featured the Aussie dudes, Tama looked alright but didn't get much time and the other two just looked really awkward and out of place; Kabal was the weakest but Percy T didn't seem much better.

Other than that it was one of the best set of shows I've watched recently. There are so many great matches and highlights that I'm struggling to single any out. Obviously 123 Kid v E Generico was unbeleivable, the final was immense, Madison Eagles and Manami Toyota had a great match and Eddie Kingston had two brilliant bouts.

I could go on listing my fave bits but I may aswell just list the three cards if I did.

Well worth the money and even more justification for my epic love for all things Chikara...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone give me some background on someone in Chikara called Steve ' The Turtle' Lieber. Just that I was out my missus last weekend and was talking to a mate of hers who apparently knows him. Spent a little time talking about Chikara and Larry Sweeney as apparently Lieber knew him

It's actually Steve Weiner. As a wrestler, he's someone who's had to overcome alot of barriers and problems. If you get what I mean. He's not an in-ring talent for CHIKARA, but pops up backstage at most shows, and is very well liked backstage. He has a great love for wrestling, and is friends with many of the CHIKARA talent. Also does a bit of commentating from time to time.

I really liked the 123kid vs Generico, but the commentary kind of ruined it for me a little. I normally love Quack on commentary, but telling us that a lot of people on the roster weren't alive when 123 was in prominence was ridiculous, it was only 18 years ago that he got the name 123 kid. Only 19 since he debuted. Also claiming 123 kid moniker was the biggest success of his career was plain silly. Mixed in with tons of hyperbole about how great the match was, and it soured it for me a little.

Watching a second time and pretty much ignoring the commentary, I found the match to be much better. Waltman was great all weekend though, I just wish he could have grown his mullet back. He said he tried but it didn't come in in time. :(

• Paid Members
It's actually Steve Weiner. As a wrestler, he's someone who's had to overcome alot of barriers and problems. If you get what I mean. He's not an in-ring talent for CHIKARA

He occasionally competes as The Turtle does he not?

It's actually Steve Weiner. As a wrestler, he's someone who's had to overcome alot of barriers and problems. If you get what I mean. He's not an in-ring talent for CHIKARA

He occasionally competes as The Turtle does he not?

Apparently He does. My missus's mate showed me his Facebook which included Weiner...which included Sweeny. We talked about Larry quite a bit

• Paid Members

I like Weiner's commentary, he does a very good job in selling the match. There was one match in 2010 in particular - it must have been BDK vs Chikara - where he was so desperate for the Chikara guy to win. Really added to the match - especially after the last few years of Prazak's ROH commentary, where he sounds like he'd rather be washing his hair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Results from "Engulfed in a Fever of Spite", taken from Chikara Message Board

Building was jammed full with a couple hundred or so. About half CWF regulars and half Chikara fans. Kind of looks like the Union City venue. Lot of black tarps on the walls.

No Gavin so Jakob did all the ring announcing up until his match.

First up was The Throwbacks vs. Los Ice Creams. Comedy all around. Those wacky Ice Creams tried hiding in the crowd to no avail. Lasted around 12-15 minutes. Sugar and young Caleb from the crowd got the pin to get the Throwbacks one point.

Donst vs Kamikaze Kid was good. KK was the only guy to have his own video on the little tron above the entrance. KK was over with the crowd as he was a regular and was impressive. Donst won when KK passed out in a silly band-assisted Kokina Clutch.

Grizzly/Daizee was a sight to behold just because of how small they both were. Nothing special. Daizee dropped her body jewelry for the ref to pick up, poked Grizzly in the eyes and hit the German for the win.

Up next, Ophidian of the Osirian Portal takes on Will O the Whisp II in an extra match. Yes, this was one of Jeff Hardy's OMEGA gimmicks. Apparently Jeff gave his blessing to this guy to continue the lineage. Fun but not spectacular. WOTW2 lost his oversized wig early in the match. Egyptian Destroyer by Ophidian won the match.

Match 5 was Tursas versus UltraMantis Black. Tursas is getting to be a bit more agile and can move around the ring well. It's weird to see Tursas take bumps now after building up how he never left his feet for a year. Mantis wins with a roll up after a missed top-rope moonsault attempt by Tursas. It was a sight to behold. Not quite Essa Rios but better than Vader. Got good spring and made it halfway across the ring.

After intermission was Delirious versus Hallowicked. Wicked didn't want to fight and tried to snap Delirious out of the spell, mostly using the stem on his mask. Panic Attack followed by Shadows over Heck only get a one-count which messes with Delirious' already fragile mind which leads to the roll up victory for Hallowicked after a good 10 or so minutes. Mostly storyline but the wrestling was good. Delirious taken away by Tursas after the match but looked conflicted. UMB was doing commentary for the match.

Icarus & Johnny Gargano of FIST take on Frightmare & Mike Quackenbush was good as well. FIST heeled it up big time here. Quack was wearing his horrid green and gold gear. Besides that he's very good in the ring. Fans greeted him with "please come back" chants. Very crisp action. Super Manhattan Drop after a top-rope low blow gives Icarus the win over Mike Quackenbush.

Jakob Hammermeier versus Eddie Kingston was the semi-main. Jakob came out with a bandanna and did Eddie's entrance before announcing himself and doing his own entrance. Tursas came out with him and Donst was on commentary. Tursas met Eddie on the ramp and roughed him up. BFK chicanery through the match as Jakob couldn't keep the advantage. Donst ran down and provided a distraction for Tursas to do the running crossbody, but Eddie kicked out. After a dive took out the BDK, Eddie won with the backfist. Post-match he did the Flair strut and thanked the fans.

Main event time as Obariyon, Kodama & Kobald take on the Colony, Fire Ant, Soldier Ant & Green Ant. Bryce did ring intros and got the fans to help with the drumroll. Obariyon hit his jumping DDT on Fire Ant on the apron early in the match to get the numbers game. Very fun match that slowed down a bit after Soldier Ant busted his nose. Obariyon and Kodama did some very nice innovative double team moves. Fire Ant with the Ant Hill on Kodama to give the Colony the win somewhere close to 20 minutes. The bottom half of Soldier's mask and upper part of his ring gear was covered in blood from his broken nose. Not overly graphic but very noticeable.

Very fun show. Ran just under 3 hours. Building was a sweatbox but the crowd was in it all night. There was literally a "This is Awesome" chant every match. Good bit of "Please Come Back!" chants late in the show. Bryce announced the October 7th return at the end.

Also

Young Lions Cup 9 will be on August 27 and 28 in Easton. Yes, only two nights. I asked Leonard and he said there will be a new format this year.

• Paid Members

Results from Aniversario and his Amazing Friends, taken from Chikara Message Board

1) Brodie Lee vs. Hieracon

Brodie Lee over Hieracon via Tiger Bomb time of the fall 5:39

2) Archibald Peck vs Frightmare

Archibald Peck over Frightmare after a low blow & a face first suplex time of the fall 10:31

3) The Batiri (Kodama & Obariyon) vs. The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield & Sugar Dunkerton)

The Batiri over the Throwbacks Leaping DDT by Obariyon on Sugar time of the fall 6:38

4) Chuck Taylor vs. UltraMantis Black

The Battle between Mantis and Chuck Taylor just went outside.

UltraMantis Black hits the Praying Mantis Bomb on Chuck Taylor for the win. Time of the fall 9:30. This gives UltraMantis Black momentum as he begins his road in the 12 Large Summit tomorrow in Union City, NJ

Intermission

5)Sinn Bodhi vs. Eddie Kingston

Eddie Kingston over Sinn Bodhi via Guillotine Choke at 6:43

6)BDK (Ares, Pinkie Sanchez, Daziee Haze & Jakob Hammermeier) vs. Madison Eagles & the Colony

BDK over The Colony and Madison Eagles as Ares hits the Tiger Driver on Green Ant. Time of the fall 24:12

7) 12 large Summit action Hallowicked vs Mike Quackenbush

Hallowicked over Mike Quackenbush reverses a pendulum submission into a pin. Time of the fall 18:50. Hallowicked now has 2 points.

8) Main Event: 3.0 vs. Unstable losing team must split up.

3.0 over Unstable After STIGMA abandons Vin Gerard, Shane Matthews pins Gerard after a pile driver. Time of the fall 14:28

• Paid Members

Aniversario : The Legendary Superpowers Show results, nicked from Chikara Board :

1) Dasher Hatfield vs. Jakob Hammermeier

Jakob Hammermeier over Dasher Hatfield Pinkie Sanchez interference leads to Good night for the win. Time of the fall 6:12

Claudio Castagnoli & Ares out to congratulate Jakob on his victory, extolling BDK dominance

But wait, hot off their victory last night in Easton, Shane Matthews & Scott Parker 3.0 have something to say

Claudio & Ares attack 3.0 making a match of it!

2)BDK (Claudio Castagnoli & Ares) vs. 3.0 (Shane Matthews & Scott Parker)

BDK over 3.0 Reverse inside cradle from Ares pins Shane Matthews time of the fall 8:01. much to the delight of Pinkie Sanchez

3)Grizzly Redwood vs. Hieracon

Grizzly Redwood over Hieracon with a brainbuster time of the fall 6:40

4) The Dark Army (Sinn Bodhi, Obariyon & Kodama) vs. The Spectral Envoy (UltraMantis Black, Hallowicked, Frightmare)

The Dark Army over The Spectral Envoy. Kodama uses a flying neckbreaker to pin Frightmare. After the match UltraMantis goes wild, taking out all members of the Dark Army

Intermission

5) Archibald Peck vs. Sugar Dunkerton

Archibald Peck over Sugar Dunkerton Baton shot from Veronica followed by a diving headbutt. time of the fall13:01

6) Chuck Taylor vs. Eddie Kingston

Eddie Kingston over Chuck Taylor by Guillotine choke Taylor taps at 16:30

7) 12 large summit action Brodie Lee vs. Vin Gerard

Vin Gerard over Brodie Lee after an Eye Rake gets Brodie into an inside cradle. Time of the fall 7:15.

8) The Colony (Fire Ant, Soilder Ant, Green Ant) vs. The Amazing Red and the Maximos.

The Colony over Red and the Maximos. Fire Ant hits the Ant Hill on Wil Maximo. Time of the fall 11:46

• Paid Members

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but a couple of the Ice Ribbon girls will be wrestling on the Chikarasaurus Rex double-header

• Paid Members

Eye to Eye was next up, but I picked up the wrong disc to take on the train with me, so its...

Through Savage Progress Cuts The Jungle Line - 19/9/10

3.0 & Soldier Ant vs. F.I.S.T. - a cracking six man tag to kick things off. The newly reconstituted F.I.S.T. gets the win when Chuck Taylor hits the Awful Waffle on Soldier Ant.

Ultramantis Black vs. Hallowicked the subtext here is that UMB wants Hallowicked to be on the Chikara originals team at the Dark Cibernetico; but obviously theres a bit of history between these two. A decent brawl between these two sees Ultramantis pick up the victory with the Praying Mantis bomb. Afterwards Mantis reiterates his question; but Hallowicked leaves it unanswered.

The Osirian Portal vs. Daizee Haze & Delirious on paper this didnt promise much, but turned out to be a storming little tag outing. All four competitors didnt put a foot wrong; and once again, how is that Delirious that puts on stuff like this in Chikara is also the same Delirious that was a waste of time in ROH in 2010? The Portal crush Daizee Haze with the Osirian Sacrament to pick up their third point, and thus earn a shot at Ares and Claudio.

Da Soul Touchaz vs. Tim Donst, Tursas & Lince Dorado not as good as the ST/ BDK match at Michigans Brain but enjoyable trios action nonetheless. Da Bomb Willie Richardson sends Dorado flying with the pounce to hand the BDK their second defeat of the night.

Eddie Kingston vs. Ares my Dad was impressed with Kingstons promo, for the record. As with most Ares singles matches, this wasnt much to write home about. Kingston hits the spinning backfist; but interference from Claudio and Delirious sees Ares roll him up for the win.

Jigsaw, Helios & Equinox vs. Colin Delaney, STIGMA & Vin Gerard a fun trios bout that was more about the finish than anything else. Towards the end of the bout Delany suddenly turns on the UnStable, which leads to Gerard getting DQd for giving Equinox a low blow. After the match Equinox unmasks and the Olsen Twins re-unite! It will be interesting to see if the UnStable get some new members or if they end up breaking up.

Frightmare vs. Pinkie Sanchez those who like continuity will be a tad narked to see Sanchez no-selling the beating he took from Kingston last night. A decent singles scrap for the Young Lions cup, even if they looked a bit awkward at times. Frightmare gets the pin with Kneecolepsy at 11.36.

Claudio Castagnoli & Sara Del Rey vs. Manami Toyota & Mike Quackenbush a blinding tag team bout, as youd expect with the talent involved. A must-see match, as simple as that. Toyota makes Del Rey tap to the Chikara Special at 23.02.

Overall another tremendous outing from Chikara in 2010, including a main event that has to be up there on the MOTY lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived