Best (WWE) Match of the Decade

tiger_rick

Best Match of the Decade?  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I don't agree with Seven very often, but he's right when he says that people on here are bunch of knee-jerkers. Taker/HBK at 25 should NOT be winning this so easily. It's Michael Owen vs. the British Athletics team all over again. Bunch of short-memoried slags.

I don't agree with Seven very often, but he's right when he says that people on here are bunch of knee-jerkers. Taker/HBK at 25 should NOT be winning this so easily. It's Michael Owen vs. the British Athletics team all over again. Bunch of short-memoried slags.

:thumbsup:

I'm sad to see the WMXX main getting so little love, but at the same time I'm glad the goldfish are finally being outnumbered.

It's a tremendous match, but you have to accept that people are still off Benoit matches, and it's not really too difficult to understand. It certainly comes and goes with me whether or not I want to watch him, and I'm not some sort of over-sensitive super gay. Whilst I wouldn't say his work is ruined, even my favourites are watched with an unshakable thought of "And in .... years, he would be dead, after killing his wife and kid". Any Owen matches from late-98 onwards give me a similar feeling, only it's much sadder and there's less family murder. Especially ones with the Blue Blazer.

• Paid Members
I'm sad to see the WMXX main getting so little love, but at the same time I'm glad the goldfish are finally being outnumbered.

It's a tremendous match, but you have to accept that people are still off Benoit matches, and it's not really too difficult to understand. It certainly comes and goes with me whether or not I want to watch him, and I'm not some sort of over-sensitive super gay. Whilst I wouldn't say his work is ruined, even my favourites are watched with an unshakable thought of "And in .... years, he would be dead, after killing his wife and kid". Any Owen matches from late-98 onwards give me a similar feeling, only it's much sadder and there's less family murder. Especially ones with the Blue Blazer.

I'm not judging anyone for not voting for it, I can understand the thinking behind it; I'm just sad that (from my perspective) there aren't enough people who can separate a man's actions from his body of work.

I think what makes the Benoit thing so difficult to separate the man from the performer was that wrestling played a part in it be it the drugs, the deaths of his friends, to all those headbutts, etc. Even his marriage stemmed from a wrestling storyline. That and it was so public. I felt awkward watching Snuka after I first read up on his past but that wasn't constantly in your face in the way that it seemed Benoit was the only subject wrestling fans were discussing for a while afterwards (understandably so). For about three months it seemed there was another Benoit story/update out there somewhere every day. I had people who don't watch wrestling, wouldn't be able to name more than two wrestlers, have never watched wrestling and don't even understand wrestling asking me about it.

Most people watch wrestling for a bit of escapism and having all that stuff NEWM mentioned "having an unshakable thought of" in the in the back of their minds makes that harder to enjoy. It just reminds you what a fucked up business it can be. :(

All that said, I have watched some Benoit matches since he died but I can certainly understand why others wouldn't.

At least my personal favourite (HHH / Foley) is getting some votes. Although I think people should be kinder to Benoit's greatest moment, too. Certainly a much better match than HBK / Taker.

I'm shocked at that.*

*That = You watched some WWE in 2009.

It's worth pointing out that 24 people altogether have voted for matches involving Chris Benoit here, as well as the amount of people who've voted the Benoit/Eddie celebration as the greatest moment of the decade, so the stigma from the tragedy can't be having that much of an adverse effect.

Personally, having recently watched a load of stuff from 2000/2001, I have absolutely no problem with watching his work (although it might be different from the period close to his death), and he remains one of my favourites. But from this list, I would have voted for Austin/Rock and HHH/Foley ahead of it. Why? Simply because wrestling overall was better in 2000/2001 than it was in 2004, and I was more into it. Plus, I think I just prefer your classic one-on-one match to triple threats. People's reasoning for not voting for the Benoit match may be as simple as that.