[Nominations] Best MMA Fighter of 2009

tiger_rick

My initial reaction was to go with BJ Penn or GSP, but after thinking some more, I realised that neither of those fighters had really had an oustanding year .

Penn has lost to GSP, and beaten Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez, whilst GSP had beaten Penn and Thiago Alves.

I've decided to go with Gegard Mousasi.

He has managed to get three solid wins under his belt, with a possible fourth taking place on the last day of 2009.

Improvement in his game has been excellent, and he seems like a real star for the future.

My initial reaction was to go with BJ Penn or GSP, but after thinking some more, I realised that neither of those fighters had really had an oustanding year .

Penn has lost to GSP, and beaten Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez, whilst GSP had beaten Penn and Thiago Alves.

I've decided to go with Gegard Mousasi.

He has managed to get three solid wins under his belt, with a possible fourth taking place on the last day of 2009.

Improvement in his game has been excellent, and he seems like a real star for the future.

Pretty much my thinking when sorting out my nominations for this. There is no way I would consider Penn after losing to GSP, no matter how good he looked against Florian and Sanchez, hence why I went with Aldo. Four wins for the year, looked incredible throughout, won the WEC Featherweight title, and if WEC do plan on doing a PPV, the proposed main event if everything goes correctly is Aldo vs Faber.

Brock Lesnar - Huge draw. Massive build up and atmosphere when he fights. So fast for a big bloke. The fact he plays a heel makes me mark for him more. The blokes just an animal.

Anderson Silva - He's on another level striking wise. He should get it purely for the non chalont way he knocked out Griffin.

Georges St-Pierre - the bloke is a super athlete and nice fella to boot. Dominated Penn (which is incredible when you look at Penn's domination of Sanchez)

Ross Pearson - Fights with a brilliant aggression. One of the hardest working, tenacious fighters around. Great level of cardio and stand up is great too. He's evolving as a fighter in front of the world.