General politics discussion thread

David

Yeah Stuart Millard, back for a Legends Run. I was back when I called you on slandering the recently deceased the other day too. I'm waiting for evidence of my bro hanging around foot fetish websites.

Posts that old don't exist anymore. But I remember it happening also. Not foot fetish specifically.. but some kind of fetish website. Him getting caught out was funny, because of his general intolerance.

Okay. What exactly is supposed to have happened, if you can recall? I'm fuzzy on how one would be 'caught' in the performance of such an activity.

Edited by Bashar

• Moderators

Someone (and if it's who I remember it being, in light of his recent EVERYTHING IS CYBERBULLYING attitude, it's kinda funny) posted a thread that didn't stay up very long anyway, because a bunch of people - me included, it might surprise you to know - found the whole thing pretty mean-spirited, and the whole "internet detectives delve into real lifes" thing is shit, and frowned upon by mods anyway. This was roughly a billion years ago, and happened for about ten minutes, so I barely recall it.

Someone (and if it's who I remember it being, in light of his recent EVERYTHING IS CYBERBULLYING attitude, it's kinda funny) posted a thread that didn't stay up very long anyway, because a bunch of people - me included, it might surprise you to know - found the whole thing pretty mean-spirited, and the whole "internet detectives delve into real lifes" thing is shit, and frowned upon by mods anyway. This was roughly a billion years ago, and happened for about ten minutes, so I barely recall it.

Okay. Well that's interesting and illuminating, in a throws up as many questions as it answers sort of way. Ultimately there was a mod having a titter about it the other day.

Classical liberals were, and neoliberals are, at least somewhat suspicious of 'democracy'. Classical liberalism holds that individual rights are natural, inherent, or inalienable, and exist independently of government. This is the classic 'republican' position. They would balk at a system that taxes income at 52% above

Edited by Bashar

Alan Hill... I think we've got your number... I think we've got the alias... that you've been hiding under.

???

I've never pretended I'm not Alan Hill.

I don't run sock-puppet accounts. Mo thought I was joethelion, but it's not the case. Years ago, a bunch of people thought 'Alan Hill' was the creation of Dean Ayass.

Classical liberals did not give too shits about the poor. A better deal for the working classes came about for a few reasons - not least the realisation that most of them would not be fit to fight, if needed, in a war. Another was the Labour movement. The modern welfare state was created out of the unique opportunities presented by the aftermath of World War II.

The Germans had been building welfare programs in the 1840s (i.e. even before unification), partly out of paternalist ideology and partly to prevent immigration to America - but also partly to produce a nation capable of going to war.

America had the 'New Deal' in the 1930s, in response to the Great Depression (i.e. market failure). Neoliberals have been determined to prevent this happening again, with great success, so my inkling is that it will more or less take another world war to generate enough political will to rebuild social democracy - and I'm not even sure that it would be enough.

Edited by Bashar