General politics discussion thread

David

I haven't read your link, but I heard a clip of him talking about this on the radio this afternoon. I can't really see what's disagreeable about his comments. Why is commuting such a problem?

Would you want to spend 2-3 hours a day on a bus for a temporary

Edited by MinceMcMahon

What makes you think that these people aren't in a similar position?

Ever thought that heavy industry and incapacity benefit might be related? Is it a coincidence that the other town is in County Durham? Mining isn't exactly good for your health. :rolleyes:

Delicate blossoms? :laugh:

Merthyr has a population of what 55,000 roughly iirc.. 20 percent of the entire populous ( not sure what the working not eligable to work is what 11,000 people, most miners would be in their 40's or retired by now anyway So I dont think Mining is the problem re health as it happens

Check this report and it turns out Iam not a million miles out

Ive skim read it but basically mining isnt blamed for any health problems that I can see. Abstract poverty and inward looking mentality and various other factors are seemingly the main reasons, and as admitted by some of the interviewees a lack of motivation to help themselves because no one else will and if they did they would be ostracised for it. It seems from afar Merthyr believes its own press and doesnt really want to do anything about it

Jobs are no good here- very menial boring jobs. People prefer being on benefits than going on jobs

See also Leo's comments from the top Page 31

Back pain accounts for less than 20 percent of the health problems their according to graphs with the report, High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, And poor nutrition/Dental Hygene score higher and there are a wide range of issues re health noted though

The commute to Cardiff is a massive 24 miles. Foresters can end up do more than that commuting to Bristol, Glos, Cardiff and so on ( and there area is just as 'depressed')

Money is being spent or was at least promised to be spent re railways between 2007 and now according to this report

Checking Arriva's website a day return from Merthyr to Cardiff is

Let's look at the findings of that report then shall we...

Getting people back to work is very important, and will be crucial in the

regeneration of the area, as it can help lift the communities within Merthyr

Tydfil out of deprivation. The DWP Want2Work and Pathways to Work

initiatives have been successful in this area so far, but more needs to be

done. The reality for an individual with a life limiting health condition

compromised by other disadvantages being able to get work under present

conditions in Merthyr Tydfil is remote.

Many factors influence whether or not a health condition leads to incapacity

for work. Most certainly, a person

My tax money as well but I wont complain because I dont mind my tax money going towards helping people nor will I demonise those who are unemployed like the scum and the sell outs we have in Government or the subhuman dirt rags.

Haven't you seen the Daily Mail KoS? Those folks on the dole are living it up in mansions with two cars and holidays abroad three or four times a year.

You can't talk, you're doing the exact thing as them!!!! On the sick with a bad back, yeah right... stop wasting my tax payers money you lazy cunt! :laugh:

:rolleyes:

I'm so glad you have been paying attention, for some one so 'right on' you are a completely ignorant cunt. :sleeping: :sleeping:

To summarise my situation again, ( am sure people are well bored of it now)

I want to work, I would go and work if wasn't detrimental to my health, I miss it and hate sitting home doing fuck all because I cant do anything else, However the 'six permenantly fucked discs' are preventing a return to work at the moment. The plan was to get back to some sort of work by the end of this year intensive physio, hydro and psychologial stuff, however a number of set backs means im miles off the pace and a return is improbable if ever.

However, as Ive stated before in this thread and others if you had bothered to read them, is that my benefits are due for renewal in May 2011, Iam expecting both to be pulled and have no option but to literally destroy myself by going back to work.

Before you go on and on about it being cuts related, I was expecting it anyway as took us three times to get DLA in the first place. So I have got to miraculously in 6 months build enough stamina to work and find a pain regime that wont leave me crawling on the floor in agony,

But yeah, Iam blaming all and sundry about it and doing fuck all to try and get out of my situation? Idiot

have

multiple disadvantages, and face multiple barriers to work: age, work

history, low skills, local labour market, high unemployment rates and

attitudes of health professionals and employers. Even were a health

condition not totally incapacitating, it is profoundly confounded by these

other disadvantages.

I think you'll find that the picture is not clear cut is it?

Im sorry were you paying any attention to my other post? No, it would appear not.

Abstract poverty and inward looking mentality and various other factors are seemingly the main reasons, and as admitted by some of the interviewees a lack of motivation to help themselves because no one else will and if they did they would be ostracised for it.

Missed that bit then? I guess so

Back pain accounts for less than 20 percent of the health problems

17% of them do. Just like you, self-righteous scrounger.

Please, explain how Iam self righteous scrounging, cheers?

An hour and five minutes from town centre to city centre. Most jobs are on the outskirts, so you can at least double that.

However, as Ive stated before in this thread and others if you had bothered to read them, is that my benefits are due for renewal in May 2011, Iam expecting both to be pulled and have no option but to literally destroy myself by going back to work.

You think that "literally destroying yourself" is what you should be made to do?

Surely you must see that someone such as yourself should be at the top of the list to receive help from the state? And that the cuts are aimed at keeping people like yourself from getting the financial assistance you fucking deserve?

You think that "literally destroying yourself" is what you should be made to do?

Surely you must see that someone such as yourself should be at the top of the list to receive help from the state? And that the cuts are aimed at keeping people like yourself from getting the financial assistance you fucking deserve?

With no personal income at all I have no choice, the missus doesnt earn enough to support us both, we dont qualify for any other benefits. Before my successful appeal before it was either somehow go back to work ( best scenario was to get stoned before/during work and see how that worked, stupid desperate and unlikely to work long term , but little choice) or go homeless as unable to afford mortgage repayments, bills etc

This was before 'cuts' so its not like its a new situation, bit more prepared now and should have me overdraft paid off (again sigh) to see us through a month or two spent appealing if not successful its work or destitution. simples.

I dont 'deserve' anything, I'am way down the list of people who need 'help' in my own mind. I need enough to get by on, no more no less and Im greatful for whatever that is every single day that I get it.

Your current situation must have been a drastic shock to your worldview. Rather than developing empathy with your fellow humans in similar situations, you seem to have pushed against the evidence with all your psyche, to the point where you have become utterly deluded and sought any means to confirm your existing worldview, no matter how counter-intuitive. As a result, your views have become even more extreme, unpleasant and unsympathetic.

Even if you were pushed onto the streets or to a point of permanent disability by this drastic attack on the welfare state, you'd be railing against the "scroungers" in the same boat as you, daring to claim the benefits that they are fully entitled to thanks to our living in a civilised society.