The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I bet Ian Bell is happy watching at home though.

Odds on us all calling for a Ramps recall by the flight to Sydney?

Should have recalled him 4 years ago, really.

Our batting really is a shambles at the moment, and it seems our batsmen only produce when they are under the imminent danger of being axed. Not really good enough. I wouldn't be surprised if we bowled out Pakistan for about 50 in their second innings though, you know what they're like.

• Moderators

I think a major problem with our selection is that it's too incestuous. You score a big score on your debut, and get in with the lads and you're in for the foreseeable. There are some tremendous cricketers in first class who won't get a fair shake because of it.

Look at James Kirtley a few years back, once he sorted out his action and wasn't a chucker he should have got a proper second chance, but he never did, yet shite like Sajid Mahmood and England Cricket's fly around shit Steve Harmison were always about.

You summed it up best earlier in the thread Gladstone, all Harmy has to do is come back from and injury hit some of the poorer quality First Class Batsmen in the head and he walks back into the team.

Bowling isn't our problem, obviously, but it's just typical of the incestuous nature of English selection procedure.

• Paid Members
I think a major problem with our selection is that it's too incestuous. You score a big score on your debut, and get in with the lads and you're in for the foreseeable. There are some tremendous cricketers in first class who won't get a fair shake because of it.

Look at James Kirtley a few years back, once he sorted out his action and wasn't a chucker he should have got a proper second chance, but he never did, yet shite like Sajid Mahmood and England Cricket's fly around shit Steve Harmison were always about.

You summed it up best earlier in the thread Gladstone, all Harmy has to do is come back from and injury hit some of the poorer quality First Class Batsmen in the head and he walks back into the team.

Bowling isn't our problem, obviously, but it's just typical of the incestuous nature of English selection procedure.

Your point about Kirtley is a good one. He took 6 wickets against the Saffies in about his second or third test - and was barely heard of again. Mainly because we are obsessed with pace in this country, he got overtaken by the likes of Mahmood, Harmison and Plunkett, who has actually improved markedly and deserves another shot. Bowlers like Chris Woakes, Mark Davies and James Harris will always be jumped over in the queue by someone who can bowl fast, but Mohammad Asif has shown how much damage you can do just by bowling straight and hitting the seam. Kirtley was, and is, that type of bowler. So is Kabir Ali, why did he get kicked out after one good test match?

As for the batsmen, you are right too - once you get your feet under the table, you are set. Bell is probably this period's Ramprakash or Hick in so much he's the naturally talented one who plays some bad shots slightly too often and gets kicked out first.

We shouldn't be scared of blooding new players in this country - there is more young talent knocking around than there has ever been before.

Here's an 11 of players who haven't played test cricket yet that I reckon could give most teams a good game over here that I thought of:-

Lyth

Hales

Hildreth

James Taylor

Stokes

Steven Davies

Rashid

Woakes

James Harris

Mark Davies

Kirby

I can see both sides to be honest. We do seem to get the team into a too comfy position but having said that test match is very different animal to county games. This is proven with quite a few players down the years being just great county players but never being able to step it up that notch. Today's equivalent would probably be Bopara. Cocky SOB that scores left, right and center when he plays for Essex, scared mouse when he plays for England.

So I can see why they like to have mostly proven test players and then squeeze the odd newbie in every now and then, ala Morgan and Trott. Some on that list will get a shot in the near future I reckon, especially the Yorkshire pair and Hildreth, because I think sooner or later Cook will have time out the team, Colly wont be around in tests much longer and then someone like Morgan could still go either way. Then you have injuries etc

Edited by Baz Windham

• Moderators

I agree with Gladstone on James Harris, he's be a quality bowler who's very strong in the lower order, but I don't see him getting capped. Whcih is a fucking shame, because I see him in the Broad mould.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members

England have called Tim Bresnan to their squad for the final test. This might suggest that they may go in with 5 bowlers, which I think they may need at Lord's as it's usually flat there these days. Either that or they're going to replace either Broad or Finn to try and bolster their batting even more.

I think that Stuart Broad's place has to be in jeopardy, his bowling just isn't coming along for me. When he bowls in ODIs, he's really quick, threatening and takes lots of wickets. In tests he is considerably less effective, spending too much arseing around bowling bouncers. He really needs to be bowling better as Anderson and Swann are carrying him right now.

• Paid Members

OK guys, need a little help here, I need basically a cricket version of 'Football manager' for cricket for something at work. Just to get arbitrary stats such as timing, judgment, power, etc etc etc. I downloaded the demo of International Cricket Captain, but it doesnt seem to use those anymore, and just opts for real life stats such as strike rate, average, economy etc.

I bought myself the new International Cricket 2010 game from Codemasters for the 360, and while this has the stats I need for some countries, you cant seem to get into them for the licenced teams (England and Australia).

If anyone knows of an alternative I would much appreciate the help

• Paid Members

I had one on the C64 in the early nineties that was actually excellent - very basic, but the in-game happenings were pretty realistic. Can't remember the name of it though. It's not even listed on Lemon 64, it must have been obscure.

That's not helped you one sodding bit, has it?

I think that Stuart Broad's place has to be in jeopardy, his bowling just isn't coming along for me. When he bowls in ODIs, he's really quick, threatening and takes lots of wickets. In tests he is considerably less effective, spending too much arseing around bowling bouncers. He really needs to be bowling better as Anderson and Swann are carrying him right now.

Can't agree with much of that. Stuart Broad gives us something different and can seemingly get wickets from nowhere and he can make things happen with the old ball. I think its more the plans of attack he is set in test matches sometimes. Its all well bowling short and yes, a lot of the time he should just pitch it up, but his bowling also unsettles batsmen and the bowler at the other end reaps the benefits. We've invested a lot of time in Stuart Broad, he is improving all the time and is pretty handy with a bat aswell, he more than warrants his test place.

Disappointing combination of weather and light bollocks today, what an excellent piece of bowling from Asif to remove Strauss though.

• Paid Members

From what Aggers says in his latest column though, the bowlers in England's team pretty much set their own plan, so it is Broad that is deciding to bowl the way he is. I just wish that he would bowl like he does in ODIs, where is a genuine wicket taking threat. The pressure is just let up when he bowls in tests for the most part.

From what Aggers says in his latest column though, the bowlers in England's team pretty much set their own plan, so it is Broad that is deciding to bowl the way he is. I just wish that he would bowl like he does in ODIs, where is a genuine wicket taking threat. The pressure is just let up when he bowls in tests for the most part.

From all I hear its the bowlers, Strauss, Flower and previously Otis Gibson now David Saker that collectively plan out the way they'll bowl, I may be wrong though. I'd definately still stick with Broad though, it seems he's been around for a while but he's still very young and will learn. It's a massive Ashes series for him, a real test to see if he can perform out there on those Australian pitches with the Kookaburra ball which tends to die a bit after 20 or so overs. Like I said, he has a knack of doing things with an old ball so if he can get going with that he could be a key weapon down under. I think bowling is our strong point at the moment and Anderson/Broad/Finn/Swann is how I'd go for sure. Bresnan is a good option to have, he's a skiddy, hit the deck type bowler who will be useful to throw in if we feel the need to go with 5 bowlers, but I wouldn't have him instead of Broad. If our top and middle order can be more consistant, we've really got to fancy ourselves against Australia and I think we'll be going in full of confidence.

• Paid Members
According to Cricinfo, Onions expects to be back in September. If this is the case, do you think the selectors will gamble on taking him on the plane in November?

No. I think they'll learn from last time with players going in with little or no match practice and leave him behind. It's a shame because his test matches to date have been promising. I think we have enough bowling back-up to cope, but I do think he will play a big part again next summer.

According to Cricinfo, Onions expects to be back in September. If this is the case, do you think the selectors will gamble on taking him on the plane in November?

No. I think they'll learn from last time with players going in with little or no match practice and leave him behind. It's a shame because his test matches to date have been promising. I think we have enough bowling back-up to cope, but I do think he will play a big part again next summer.

Yeah I agree. Its a shame for Onions because he's done really well for us, but can you really throw him the ball in Brisbane in his first test back for many months? I don't think so.