Best Match of 2008

tiger_rick

Best Match of 2008?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think I'm going to watch some of those back this week before voting.

Looking at that list, I have a question for the guys/girls who've been around here since the 90s - Is this the first year that every match that made it to voting is from WWF/E?

I would think so.

Pretty sure the ROH Ladder War was in the 2007 voting, Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe was in the 2006 poll, and Joe vs Styles vs Daniels in 2005.

You would think TNA and/or ROH would have been in the other year's voting since their 2002 formation.

I can't even remember if we did Year End Awards in 2001 but that might well have been WWF-only with WCW & ECW going under so early in the year.

Edited by dopper

Money in the Bank (Wrestlemania 24)

Jesus give me a break, next your going to tell me one of TNA terror Dome matches nearly made the cut?

Not voted still mulling it over, Just realized i haven't watched Hardy/Bourne and HHH/Edge/Hardy

I would think so.

Pretty sure the ROH Ladder War was in the 2007 voting, Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe was in the 2006 poll, and Joe vs Styles vs Daniels in 2005.

You would think TNA and/or ROH would have been in the other year's voting since their 2002 formation.

I can't even remember if we did Year End Awards in 2001 but that might well have been WWF-only with WCW & ECW going under so early in the year.

Hmmmn interesting. I thought it might be. I know it is the first in the five or so years since I've been posting here but thought it was unlikely it would have happened before then especially when WCW and ECW were around. Interesting point about 2001 - what about Muto/Tenryu though (I wasn't on here back then, but just thinking of a well known match outside McMahonland)?

After a bit of searching find the relevant nominations topics, the following non-WWE matches seem to have made it to nomination stage in 2002-07:

2002: Jody Fliesch Vs Jonny Storm (CZW Best of the Best 2), Jonny Storm vs AJ Styles (British Uprising), Lo-Ki vs. Doug vs. Spanky vs. Chris Daniels (ROH 5),

Low Ki v American Dragon (ROH 2)

2003: Misawa/Kobashi (NOAH, March 3) and Hero/Punk (IWA, When Hero Met Punk) represented two of the five matches on the Poll (the other three were WWE matches)

2004: Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama (NOAH, July 10), Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk (RoH, World Title Classic II), AMW vs. Triple X (TNA, Turning Point), Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk (RoH, World Title Classic) where half the choices in the matches that made it to the poll (the other half were WWE matches)

2005: Kobashi vs Sasaki (NOAH Destiny), Kobashi & Shiozaki vs Williams & Akiyama (Universal Uproar), Styles vs Joe vs Daniels (TNA Unbreakable), Kobashi vs Joe (ROH Joe vs Kobashi), Punk vs Aries (ROH Death before Dishonor 2), Styles vs Daniels (TNA Against All Odds)

2006: Do Fixer v Blood Generation (ROH Supercard of Honor), Bryan Danielson v Nigel McGuiness (ROH Unified), Kurt Angle vs Samoa Joe II (TNA Turning Point)

2007: Kenta Kobashi & Yoshihiro Takayama vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Jun Akiyama (NOAH), The Briscoes vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico (ROH Man Up PPV)

So (unless 2001 was the year), then 2008 probably is the first year with a clean sweep for McMahon's boys. :p

Edited by TheBigBoot

The Michaels/Flair match really did nothing for me at all. It started off slow, and never really amounted to anything. In addition, there was never a doubt in my mind as to the result, and Flair didn't even portray himself as much of a threat on the night. It was all about Flair (and rightly so), but I'm used to Wrestlemania being all about Michaels - and this was one year when that wasn't to be the case.

Aside from the end where they were both tugging on the belt while on opposite sides of the ladder, I don't remember anything from the ladder match.

In the WrestleMania match I remember HBK's asai moonsault and the whole finish sequence, so that was my favourite of the two due to simple mathematics.

Anyway, I voted for Hardy/Umaga.

• Paid Members

Just as a suggestion, I think we need to split this award into two next year; one for WWE matches and another for the rest. None of the nominated matches would even crack my top twenty of the year and of others here and at other boards who've watched lots of stuff outside the WWE, they've probably got no more than two WWE matches in their top twenty, and nobody has a WWE match as their MOTY.

I know lots of UKFFers are all meh about wrestling but this poll really shows how bad the situation has become.

Just as a suggestion, I think we need to split this award into two next year; one for WWE matches and another for the rest. None of the nominated matches would even crack my top twenty of the year and of others here and at other boards who've watched lots of stuff outside the WWE, they've probably got no more than two WWE matches in their top twenty, and nobody has a WWE match as their MOTY.

Edge vs Undertaker at SummerSlam and Hardy vs Bourne at Cyber Sunday only got 5 nominations each.

So it's not like the followers of wrestling other than WWE and TNA have a massive mountain to climb in getting their favourites in the final top 10 choices.

Having two weeks to post nominations is more than enough time for all regular UKFF visiters to list their favourites but it seems some (including you Mo) didn't post any nominations.