Best Match of 2008

tiger_rick

Best Match of 2008?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Just as a suggestion, I think we need to split this award into two next year; one for WWE matches and another for the rest. None of the nominated matches would even crack my top twenty of the year and of others here and at other boards who've watched lots of stuff outside the WWE, they've probably got no more than two WWE matches in their top twenty, and nobody has a WWE match as their MOTY.

Edge vs Undertaker at SummerSlam and Hardy vs Bourne at Cyber Sunday only got 5 nominations each.

So it's not like the followers of wrestling other than WWE and TNA have a massive mountain to climb in getting their favourites in the final top 10 choices.

Having two weeks to post nominations is more than enough time for all regular UKFF visiters to list their favourites but it seems some (including you Mo) didn't post any nominations.

Yeah, but because this award is always so dominated by WWE matches, people like myself don't bother with this. I could've nominated a bunch of non-WWE matches but it wouldn't have made a jot of difference. Clearly, others who also watch matches from non-WWE promotions having the same attitude doesn't help, but even if great matches get enough nominations to reach this stage, they'll still receive far fewer votes than what are usually inferior WWE matches.

If we have a separate award for non-WWE matches, at least it would get me and others who watch non-WWE stuff incentive to nominate stuff from NOAH, ROH, PWG, New Japan, etc.

On a semi-related point, it's also clear that UKFFers seem to be less interested in watching the best stuff from these non-WWE promotions, compared to four or five years back. Maybe a thread on the main forum on hot matches would generate discussion about matches from these other promotions, and thereby encourage everyone to stop being so apathetic about the wider wrestling scene.

What if after splittng the poll into WWE/non-WWE categories we end up with a second poll that just has a bunch of TNA matches along with a couple of entries from ROH? Should we then create a third category for Non-US matches? And what if that one ends up being dominated by NOAH? Should we then split it again to make sure we get enough New Japan stuff in?

These poll's should be a reflection of what the members think, if most of the members don't give a fuck about anything outside of McMahon land then so be it. By all means start a thread to try and get people watching other stuff and then hopefully nominating it next year but creating new categories just seems daft - and if we do it for best match do we do it for all the others because if you asked me for my top 10 wrestlers in 2008 I very much doubt more than 1 or 2 of them would be from outside the WWE?

EDIT- Mo I think I spot a trend: You failed to get an MMA sub-forum off the ground so now you looking to create sub-category awards. I bet you love filing.

Edited by Joe_the_Lion