Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

2007 saw ROH take the plunge into pay-per-view land. The results were rave reviews and more awareness of the ROH product than ever before. Now ROH is getting ready for the last showing of its latest PPV and debut of the next one.

From the ROH website. Granted, the PPV's were damn good, but as Powerslam pointed out, the fact that ROH are refusing to release the buyrates suggests these PPV's didn't exactly set the world on fire.

ROH NIGHT OF THE CHAMPIONS

Dixie vs. Alex Arion vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Matt Stryker

The talent in this match isn't very bad at all. Apart from Dixie who was completely woeful in there. The problem with the other three was that while they weren't bad, they didn't excite like the other FCS matches have done. So, with that, and the Dixie factor, this match wasn't very good at all.

SAT and Quiet Storm vs. Special K

Mikey Whipwreck had aligned with Special K. Whoop-de-do. This match is short, and is actually quite horrible, which is surprising for a Scramble Match with so little time and so many people. I can't remember a single spot that was hit with any conviction at all. Everything was sloppy and all of the guys in the ring looked horrible, which surprised me from Storm because he can at least be relied on to hit his moves and do his bit well. Shame. This was crap.

Dunn and Marcos vs. The Backseat Boys

And the fun just keeps on leaving. Not that this match is bad or anything, but I don't care about it. BSB actually look great out there squashing the RCE.

FWA Title and #1 Contender's Trophy - Christopher Daniels vs. Doug Williams

A simple match. Both guys work body parts and one of 'em gets a payoff in the end. All of the body work was gold and made this match terrific viewing. The final exchange of counters into the Cobra Clutch was amazing. After that point, I didn't buy Daniels as a winner to the match for a second. Which makes sense because by that point, his neck was absolutely fucked. A tremendous match from these guys which makes up for their lackluster effort at Glory By Honor.

Samoa Joe, CW Anderson and Jack Victory vs. Homicide and Da Hit Squad

This match was a whole lot of nothing brawling. There isn't much else I can say.

The Carnage Crew vs. Mace and Hotstuff Hernandez

Hernandez once again comes across looking like a mentalist, as well as a hell of a big guy to step into the ring with. Mace comes across looking like crap, as always, and that's because he IS crap. The Carnage Crew come across looking like nasty buggers who can't be bothered with Mace's crap. There is all sorts of mental stuff from three of the guys in the match. Guess which three that is ? Mace does his usual comedy gay stuff that was stale long before this show.

ROH Tag Team Titles - The Amazing Red and AJ Styles vs. The Briscoes

This match has all sorts of crazy stuff from bell to bell, and is so much like recent Briscoes that I think I'm back in 2007. I guess they've always been like that, and with the right opponents, get to show it more. Some of the tag team stuff was incredibly innovative. The finishing sequence is most likely the most innovative thing in the match and easily the best looking thing in the match. It's also fun to watch the Briscoes suplex the hell out of people for the fun of it. They really don't do that enough anymore. Anyways, this is a brilliant match.

Jody Fleisch vs. Low Ki

I've not seen many good Fleisch matches, but this is definately one of 'em. They basically went for the same sort of thing as Red and Ki did back at Road to the Title, but this time, Fleisch did more crazy stuff than what Red did, and Ki killed Fleisch more than what he did to Red. Fleisch's SSP to the floor still looks like utter shit though. Who told him that he can do that move ? Everytime I watch him do it, I'm scared that he's going to break his legs or something. Anyways, that aside, this is a fairly nutty match.

CM Punk and Ace Steel vs. Raven and Colt Cabana

A weak brawl here. Nobody seemed to be bringing anything major to this match, and it just plodded along. We do get more good interaction from Punk and Raven though, and I guess that was the whole point. Maybe the other guys didn't want to take anything away from their interactions. Anyways, Cabana aligns with Punk post-match.

ROH Title - Xavier vs. Samoa Joe

Short, action packed and with an outcome which is amazingly satisfying. The problem though, is that Xavier seems to show blatant signs of improvement in this match. He wrestled at a pretty brisk pace and didn't blow a single thing. Granted it wasn't a 20 minute match or anything, but he certainly looked better than he did in other title defences. However, this match wasn't about him, and as much as Xavier had control, Joe would come back and kill him and eventually start one of the best title reigns I can remember.

OVERALL

I don't know where this show gets it's reputation. The amount of nothingness on this show is almost unbearable at times and if I never knew what was coming later in the show, it would have been unbearable. However, there is definately some stuff on this show worth checking out. The Daniels/Williams and tag title matches in particular are absolutely amazing viewing.

• Paid Members

A tremendous match from these guys which makes up for their lackluster effort at Glory By Honor.

Exactly what I thought at the time. That GBH match was shocking - a ten minute main event?!?!? As for the main event - a lacklustre start to an amazing title reign. You'd never have predicted he'd go on to hold the belt for 21 months after that match. I thought the Raven/ Cabana vs Punk/ Steel match was quite a decent effort - I burnt it the other month on a Colt Cabana compilation.

• Paid Members

All Star Extravaganza 3 review- 30/3/2007

One likes to think of ROH as the antithesis of WWE, but the one fly in the ointment for this argument is the presence of brain dead bimbo “Rebecca” Bayless. She might be more annoying than Adam Pearce and B.J. Whitmer put together - I can

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

Good memories for me there, as I was at that show. The main event definitely made it an evening to remember. Interesting fun fact: Dean Ayass also attended this show, and fell asleep during Strong vs Evans.

• Paid Members

Dean Ayass also attended this show, and fell asleep during Strong vs Evans.

And who can blame him? I'm interested to see their FIP match now, to see if it was any better.

Good memories for me there, as I was at that show. The main event definitely made it an evening to remember. Interesting fun fact: Dean Ayass also attended this show, and fell asleep during Strong vs Evans.

To be fair, I saw Ayass at Heathrow Airport at 6am GMT that morning. So seeing Roderick Strong working heel 21-22 hours later would be enough to send most people to sleep.

• Paid Members

Well, I just watched the Ladder Match between Briscoes & Generico/ Steen. Incredible - in this instance, believe the hype. I don't want to hear any bullshit about "too much trifle" from anyone. Those four smashed the shit out of each other. Buy. borrow or steal a copy ASAP.

Well, I just watched the Ladder Match between Briscoes & Generico/ Steen. Incredible - in this instance, believe the hype. I don't want to hear any bullshit about "too much trifle" from anyone. Those four smashed the shit out of each other. Buy. borrow or steal a copy ASAP.

It is a truly insane match, and I genuinely liked it more than almost every single match I've seen this decade. Well, bar a couple of matches anyways.

• Paid Members

Just unbelieveable some of the shit they do. That beale onto the ladder into the corner...breathtakingEDIT: Just gleaned this from the ROH board :

According to the legendary Mike Johnson at PWI, KENTA's work visa was not renewed, so he will not be able to appear for ROH in 2008. (Though Morishima, Marufuji, and Go will be a big part of ROH in the new year).

Eeek!! Still, Go Shiozaki should be cool. I read somewhere hes due to start at the 6th anni show?One other comment on something I read on the ROH Forum. There's a thread speculating which territory ROH should run next, and Canada seems to be the obvious choice. A show in Canada would make them more money than they did from that stupid bloody Japan tour. I dont care what anyone says, they had to lose money on that one. All because they're Japan marks. Tsk Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

Interesting column up at WO.com ...

Dear Dave,

I attended both of the NYC ROH shows this past weekend, and was a little disgusted with the events surrounding Nigel McGuinness's injury. I don't know if you're interested, but I wrote this note to whomever may take notice. I already posted it at the ROH forum, but it seems to be going over people's heads there. If you print it, please withhold my name. Thanks.

Yesterday, for the second time in as many months, I attended a Ring of Honor show at the Manhattan Center in which ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness could not defend his title in a previously scheduled match. Before I go any further, I wish to make one thing perfectly clear: I wholeheartedly applaud the decision to pull Nigel McGuinness from the 12/30 show after his concussion suffered on 12/29 (at a show which I also attended). However, the circumstances surrounding the injury have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

McGuinness

Yeah, it's a good point, well made. After the Benoit deaths, Metzler made a big deal out of Gabe saying ROH wrestlers were protecting themselves in matches more. Except when they get 'caught up in the moment'. Probably about time ROH took these things a little more seriously.

• Paid Members

I just watched the PPV disc of the Man Up DVD (and the Age of the Fall blood edit on the bonus disc, to see it in better quality than the version ROH put online). Quick summary: I enjoyed the Four Corner Survival opener, though Claudio seemed a little below the other participants in his singles exchanges (with Nigel especially), which saddens me as I've loved his stuff in the Race to the Top tourney, vs Morishima and then vs Hero at Manhattan Mayhem II. He pulled it together for the closing stages, thankfully. Nigel got a great reaction when he scored the pin. The series between the NRC and the Resilience was fun. Romero kept things refreshingly simple and didn't fuck up the story of him striking vs Cross' gymnastics by going for the Diablo Armbar. Aries vs Richards went on for a little long, but the concluding parts were hot hot hot. Roderick Strong vs Erick Stevens was great - I'm really into Stevens, he plays his role perfectly and he has great chemistry with Roderick that I've followed from FIP. Danielson's promo was great, but the way he spoke about his mum made him sound about almost as geeky as me. In a bigger promotion, a star of his level would have referenced his wife taking him to the hospital due to his bad eye, not his mum. I really like what I've seen of the formative stages of the Hangmen Three, and the recap here did it's job very well. Danielson vs Morishima II was a very, very good grudge rematch, full of fire, passion, hate and viciousness. As a World title match, I definitely prefer the Manhattan Mayhem II match, but really, the matches are trying to do completely different things. I can't wait to see the Glory By Honor VI match. The Ladder War was everything you might have read about. As an insane stunt show, once they got into the ring and got ladders into play, it was one of the best ever. The thinking behind some of the spots was crazy. I didn't like the cheap look of the ladders they used before they got the huge maintenance ladder out, which took me out of the action a little, but in turn made me think "holy crap" when they did move to the big ladder. I also didn't like the brawling part of the match early on, they could have gone to that after starting in the ring, and it didn't feel as hateful as the Streetfight at Death Before Dishonor V night 1, which as an overall experience I might even prefer. Overall, this was an excellent PPV show, but as a DVD package I'm inclined to think I might prefer Driven overall. I'll report conclusively once I've seen the bonus matches.

• Awards Moderator

Nigel responds

OK Dave,Gabe gave me the all clear, so I am staying up at 2:30 in the morning, when I have to be up at 8am tomorrow to pack and leave for my next NOAH tour, to write this because I feel so vehemently mistreated and unjustly referenced by this ignorant article. I have copied the article into this email and will refer specifically to the points in question:I attended both of the NYC ROH shows this past weekend, and was a little disgusted with the events surrounding Nigel McGuinness's injury. I don't know if you're interested, but I wrote this note to whomever may take notice. I already posted it at the ROH forum, but it seems to be going over people's heads there. If you print it, please withhold my name. Thanks.Yesterday, for the second time in as many months, I attended a Ring of Honor show at the Manhattan Center in which ROH Champion Nigel McGuinness could not defend his title in a previously scheduled match. Before I go any further, I wish to make one thing perfectly clear: I wholeheartedly applaud the decision to pull Nigel McGuinness from the 12/30 show after his concussion suffered on 12/29 (at a show which I also attended)--You open by applauding the decision that I and ROH made to protect me from further physical harm by pulling me from the show, and then close by stating you won't buy any more tickets for ROH events where you know you may not see the scheduled main event. How is this applauding the decision?However, the circumstances surrounding the injury have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.McGuinness