Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

What would you guys say were the best ROH shows of 2007 , I'm gonna get some for Xmas , ideally best all-round cards but if theres ok shows with 1 or 2 amazing matches I'll get them too . Any recommendations welcome , I've got a few from ROH133-146 so events after that ( from May onwards ) I'd be especially interested in .

Edited by wrestleme

• Paid Members

Possibly that Chicago one reviewed on the last page. The Liverpool shows. After the Fifth Year Festival, there's good stuff on the Detroit shows from Wrestlemania weekend (All Star Extravaganza 3/Supercard of Honor 2). Good Times, Great Memories. Driven (PPV #2) has two top class Danielson matches on the DVD release and plenty more good stuff. Night 2 of the Race to the Top tournament. Death Before Dishonor V Night 1. Manhattan Mayhem II. Not seen Caged Rage or anything after MMII.

EDIT: check this out. Products__2497_14.jpg

Edited by gadgetboy

I'd highly recommend Super Card of Honor 2 and All Star Extravaganza 3. About to watch Death Before Dishonor 5 so I'll be able to share my thoughts on that shortly. Good Times, Great Memories is also pretty good.I love the Sweet N Sour Inc shirt design, just not sure about the powder blue colour, I don't think I could pull that off.

Edited by Pete Scott

Death Before Dishonor 5 so I'll be able to share my thoughts on that shortly.

There's a couple of mental street fights. Not a big fan of the Night Two one, but the Briscoes and Steen/Generico is great to watch, as is the usual with those two teams. Also, there's two VERY good ROH Title matches.ROH GLORY BY HONOR*******************I feel dirty going back to 2002 after watching some of the newer stuff. The SAT vs. Divine Storm vs. Special K vs. HomicideThis is one of the most spotty matches I've watched from the early days. Homicide is on his own which means he's going to win obviously. Sorry for that spoiler, so I might as well go and ruin some more. If you see someone on their own in a Scramble Match, they've good as won it. This match has an unbelievable pace, but it's the first time that we see how truly woeful SAT are in ROH. Homicide looks good though, which I can only assume was the point. Anyways, not bad as an opener, but the SAT killed any flow the match was getting.The Backseat Boys vs. Homicide and Steve CorinoThis is pretty bland. I don't expect anything less from three of the four guys in the match. Christopher Street Connection and Allison Danger vs. York, Matthews and Alexis LareeI'm now having this as an official rating for a match. Ready for it ?Okay.Fuck off. Next ?Tony Mamaluke vs. James MaritatoAh, finally we get some really good action. Not much happening in the way of big moves, which means that this is a little different from everything else on the card. The whole thing just flies by, so I'm happy with it.Ikuto Hidaka vs. The Amazing RedTerrific battle between these two guys. Hidaka, once again, is pretty formulaic, but Amazing Red was incredible entertainment in the early days of ROH and this is no exception. Shame that Red basically squashed the face of Hidaka at the finish.Fast Eddie vs. Don JuanSloppy and bad. Next ?Steve Corino vs. Rudy Boy Gonzalez ( Texas Street Fight )I'm not sure what this match was supposed to do for either guy. Corino was made to look poor against the older opponent, while Rudy was going to be gone soon anyways. Nothing worth anything here.Low Ki vs. Samoa Joe ( Fight Without Honor )The great thing about this match is the brutal nature of it. No need for weapons here, as both guys went out and hammered each other. Why did they need a stipulation when they didn't use it ? Some of the hits that both guys were taking were amazingly high.Prince Nana vs. ElaxFuck off. Next ?ROH Title - Xavier vs. Jay BriscoeThis must be one of the woeful title defences that people were talking about. Seriously, this match just absolutely tanked. Da Hit Squad vs. The Carnage Crew ( Street Fight )A decent brawl with an ultra-sick ending. The only problem is that we've now seen this sort of match too much recently.Spanky vs. Paul London vs. Michael ShaneDisappointing considering the competitors. All three guys have had better singles matches with each other. Don't get me wrong. It isn't bad or anything, but they could have done better.Christopher Daniels vs. Doug WilliamsWhy was this match so short ? Infact, why was this the main event ? So many questions. Anyways, for the time that they got, they put on a good, if a bit uninteresting, match. They seemed to be going through the motions a bit.OVERALL********ROH have had loooooooong shows. They should cut out the really short and useless matches. They do nothing for me. This show does have some good stuff, and is probably worth getting for Red/Hidaka and Joe/Ki.

• Paid Members

The next time Daniels and Williams would wrestle on an ROH show, the match was soooo good it had Christopher Daniels in and it wasn't awful. That's how good it was.

Indeed, they more than made up for their rather odd match at GBH with that great effort from ... was it Night of Champions? Since the first match Daniels had won the FWA title, but wouldn't go back to England to drop it, so Doug had to go over to ROH so he could beat him for the belt!

Anyone else think that Davey Richards is really under used? Since joining the No Remorse Corps he seems to have been beaten an awful lot. To me they promote Romero and Strong far better than Richards when in my opinion Davey is the strongest of the group, I certainly enjoy his work more than the other two (I think Strong's the weakest in the group to be his honest, his charisma is no where near as high as that of Richards or Romero).

I've seen the Night of Champions match with Williams and Daniels when it was on the TWC. Terrific match.

ROH ALL STAR EXTRAVAGANZA

Special K vs. SAT vs. Devine Storm vs. Da Hit Squad

The usual fun sprint from the usual suspects in the Scramble stuff. Not as spotty and fast as the GBH match, but definately as good, as there is still a bunch of incredible stuff to see. Plus, we get to see a cool series of German Suplexes from the SAT.

#1 Contender Trophy Gauntlet

You will find Michael Shane, CM Punk, Paul London, The Amazing Red and American Dragon in this match. There's a couple of really good matches in here. The London/Dragon exchange is really good, as is the Shane/Punk section.

The Prophecy vs. Low Ki, Homicide and Doug Williams

A mental six man tag from these men. The pace hardly let up at all and all six guys looked great as a result. There's some awkward spots here though. Daniels doing a move from the top rope looks really suspect in particular. That aside, this is good stuff.

Allison Danger vs. Alexis Laree

Fuck off. Next ?

Dunn and Marcos vs. The Carnage Crew

Fuck off. Next ?

ROH Title - Xavier vs. Jay Briscoe

And the crap just keeps on coming. Although to be fair, the final few minutes are good. But the opening half of this match is just unbelievably bad. The fans clearly don't care about the champ anymore, and they can't even bring themselves to boo him at this point. Even the basic stuff at the start of the match seems to be too much for the champ. Horrible.

#1 Contender's Trophy - American Dragon vs. AJ Styles

After that last match, I really needed this match. A match which, on repeated viewing, gets better. AJ Styles was very restricted when it came to the high flying stuff, and still managed to look absolutely great in there, so kudos for that. American Dragon was on a great run in ROH. Much better than the Low Ki series which got so much praise.

Steve Corino and Low Ki vs. Masato Tanaka and Shinjiro Ohtani

This was one of them matches where the big stars come in and do their spots. They're good spots though, and there was some effort in there, so can't fault them for that. However, Low Ki's trunks in this match look ridiculous. He went from looking vicious to looking ridiculous in such a short time.

OVERALL

This is MUCH better. There was still the usual problems, like the usual squashes involving the usual guys. If these squashes were actually going somewhere I could see the point, but they weren't. However, the good stuff was VERY good, and this makes it a better show than most of the shows from ROH in 2002.

• Paid Members

Fifth Year Festival - Liverpool Review - 3/3/07

We kick off with the second half of the abysmal Roderick Strong promo from the Chicago show. He

There was a great moment in this match where a couple of kids started that “this is awesome” rubbish, and the crowd responded with a resounding “past your bedtime.”

No, fuck this, and everyone involved. If you think there is some hierarchy of fans who decide when it is the right time to start the 'This is Awesome' chant then I hope you get an infection and die.
Double post. Sorry Edited by didcotfc

• Paid Members

There was a great moment in this match where a couple of kids started that “this is awesome” rubbish, and the crowd responded with a resounding “past your bedtime.”

No, fuck this, and everyone involved. If you think there is some hierarchy of fans who decide when it is the right time to start the 'This is Awesome' chant then I hope you get an infection and die.
The hypocritical thing about it all is that while the child fans were annoying to hear on DVD, the adult ROH fans in attendance were just as annoying with their forced "This is awesome" and "Let's Go whoever" chants. The fucking pathetic sheep that attend ROH shows is one of the main reasons I find it so hard to like the promotion.
I hate the "this is awesome chant", whoever starts it. At that point no-one had started the chant, however it reared its ugly head several times. I agree with La Goosh's point above.EDIT: I'm particularly loathe to accept criticism from the man who gave this thread the awful sbtitle, "it's a bit shit, but its better than PWG." We might perhaps start the official Leicester Lantern thread - "he's a bit shit, but better than Tiger Rick"As for all this rubbsih about "you hate kids", "get an infection and die etc" - boys, it's wrestling, meant to be a bit of entertainment. As Alan Partridge said, "why not get yourself a girlfriend?" Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter