Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The man is all talk and no action. He never had any intention of fighting Vitali. Hopefully Valuev shuts him up for good.

Stupid thing to say - the way the Klitschko contracts were made left David with a horribly poor deal, with far too many rematch clauses and hardly any money - especially with the fall of Setanta. At least this way against Valuev he'll get a better deal - and let's be honest, a better shot at the world title, which will ultimately lead to a bigger fight with one of the Klitschkos down the line.

I'm not sure it is necessarily a 'better shot'. I'd say it ranks inbetween the two Klitschko brothers in terms of difficulty. Valuev seems to have decent chin so you have to figure it has a good chance of going the distance and a 23stone man puching downwards at a chin that wilted against Carl Thompson for twleve rounds doesn't make anything a certainty.

I respect that, and I don't think that Valuev is as bad as people make, but he's a far easier prospect than either Klitschko - see the Holyfield fight for proof of that, Evander did him for 12 rounds and missed out on the decision for some farcical reason. Haye being about twenty years younger and twice as powerful as Holy is now should feel comfortable in knocking him out. If Chagaev can beat Valuev, then I'm sure Haye has a chance.

When I made my post I had completely forgotten about the Holyfield fight - how scary is it that so-called world heavyweight title fights live in he memory for so little time these days? Based on that fightyou're right, Haye should win as long as he doesn't do anything daft and it's almost certainly an easier nights work than either of the Kilitchko's would be.

The man is all talk and no action. He never had any intention of fighting Vitali. Hopefully Valuev shuts him up for good.

Stupid thing to say - the way the Klitschko contracts were made left David with a horribly poor deal, with far too many rematch clauses and hardly any money - especially with the fall of Setanta. At least this way against Valuev he'll get a better deal - and let's be honest, a better shot at the world title, which will ultimately lead to a bigger fight with one of the Klitschkos down the line.

I'm not sure it is necessarily a 'better shot'. I'd say it ranks inbetween the two Klitschko brothers in terms of difficulty. Valuev seems to have decent chin so you have to figure it has a good chance of going the distance and a 23stone man puching downwards at a chin that wilted against Carl Thompson for twleve rounds doesn't make anything a certainty.

I respect that, and I don't think that Valuev is as bad as people make, but he's a far easier prospect than either Klitschko - see the Holyfield fight for proof of that, Evander did him for 12 rounds and missed out on the decision for some farcical reason. Haye being about twenty years younger and twice as powerful as Holy is now should feel comfortable in knocking him out. If Chagaev can beat Valuev, then I'm sure Haye has a chance.

LOL @ 'all talk and no action'. He has won all his fights bar one, destroyed Macranelli when he was actually decent and beat a top 10 ranked heavyweight (Bonin) as a kind of warm up before winning the Cruiserweight title against Mormeck who is legit world quality. I have followed his career from the BBC coverage back in the day through to now and see much MUCH more from him then in the other british hypes such as Tyson Fury & James DeGale. He is one of the number of fighters we have who look to have a bright future along with (but not exclusive to) Nathan Cleverley, Darren Sutherland, Rendall Munroe & Kell Brook.

As for the fight in question, I think Haye will do a 'Chagaev' on him and win possibly setting up a Klitschko fight for early next year.

^agreed with all of that, although I really like Tyson Fury. I actually 'run' (I say that loosely as all I did was create the page) the David Haye fan page on Facebook so I'm a bit of a fan boy.

^agreed with all of that, although I really like Tyson Fury.

Did you see his fight last weekend? He looked like an american journeyman and that worries me (even with his back injury). He is our equivalent to Valuev at the moment but with more speed however he looks very one dimensional. I would like to see him put in the ring in a few fights time with someeone like Sprott or Williams or, god forbid, even Harrison to try and show if he has got what it takes to be considered a legit prospect.

Edited by rubbafish

^agreed with all of that, although I really like Tyson Fury.

Did you see his fight last weekend? He looked like an american journeyman and that worries me (even with his back injury). He is our equivalent to Valuev at the moment but with more speed however he looks very one dimensional. I would like to see him put in the ring in a few fights time with someeone like Sprott or Williams or, god forbid, even Harrison to try and show if he has got what it takes to be considered a legit prospect.

The fight was a disgrace, but at least he had the decency to admit it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACU8LQq-Vg...feature=channel

I really like him though, he's honest, and he's a pretty good boxer. The McDermott fight in September will be a good test, if he blows him away in a couple of rounds I think we can get a bit excited about him.

Thompson beat him in five rounds with a rope-a-dope. Haye's side of it was that he had a hard cut coming in and they knew he couldn't last the full 12. So he went out, blasted Thompson early but Thompson stayed patient and waited until Haye wilted. When Haye faded, Thompson took him apart at the end of the fifth. It was five years ago. Mormeck is a better fighter than Thompson and Haye beat him in 7. Haye maintains that many of his problems with his chin and fitness at cruiserweight were mainly due to him being unable to take the weight cut. Maybe he's bullshitting, maybe not.

link to interview with Bernd Bonte

Klitschko's manager Bernd Bonte gives his side of why David Haye pulled out of a fight with Vitali. Apparently Haye's money would come from UK tv only (same as his planned fight with Wladimir) and after seeing Amir Khan get a low amount of ppv buys figured he'd end up with very little so pulled out of negotiations.

This may not be entirely true I don't know, but if it is I'm very disapointed in David Haye. I can understand a man wanting as big a purse as possible but fact is he isn't a draw and the Klitchkos' are, so the first fight will be on their terms. After that if he actually thinks he can win and isn't just out for the pay day, then he'd be in a much better negotiating positon. No risk no reward and all that.

• Paid Members

Carl Froch comes across as a super nice guy who really does want to do what's best for boxing instead of just for himself (as most fighters are). He's a blueprint for what most young boxers should aspire to be.

He's talked smack in the past but its always to get fights or to sell fights.

Props of Froch.

Sultan Ibragimov, one half of the worst fight I have ever seen (Vs. Wladimir Klitschko in February 2008), has finally retired. Yeah he was WBO champion and wasn't a bad south paw, he was a very good amateur, but didn't exactly have great names on his pro record.

Shame no one is picking up the Witter fight this weekend. I really rate him and genuinely think Hatton did everything he could to avoid fighting him despite being in his 'prime'. I wonder if Amir Kahn's people will thnk he is too dangerous and not worth risking their boy against if Witter picks up the win this weekend?

Edited by rubbafish