Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

few thoughts on last nights bouts:

Pacquiao/De La Hoya - holy hell, this was a one sided beatdown. To think De La Hoya was the favorite made mugs of the bookies. This was a destruction, Pac-Man's left hand was a thing of beauty. De La Hoya loves these big pay day fights, but he's gotta realise he's done at the top level. Pacquiao is an absolute beast, id love to see him fight Hatton.

Froch/Pascal - fight of the year candidate right here, an absolute 12 round war. Do yourselves a favour and try and check this out, the commentary compared it to the old Benn/Eubank fights, that's how good it was. To think this was shown free on ITV whilst Sky were having a home based PPV of mismatches is just silly. Froch made a star of himself, i'd love to see him fight Calzaghe, it won't happen but it would be awesome.

Harrison/Rogan - oh well, Harrison is done. He failed to deliver yet again. This was a pretty entertaining heavyweight battle, you have to admire Rogan, completely limited in skill but he just keeps bringing it, he'll make it a tough's night work for anyone who doesn't take control of the fight. Harrison i believe could have won this, and as always he showd glimpses of what he's capable of, but why he holds of so long periods of time, is just baffling and frustrating. He still managed to get his 'Harrison will be back 2009' speech in though, oddball.

Khan/Fagan - as expected, this was a warm up for Khan, just getting him back in the groove. Fagan actually came in smart and tried to throw looping bombs, fair play he went for it. Khan showed devastating speed once again though, it didn't really prove anything we didn't already know, until Khan get's levelled on the chin and survives he's always gonna have the ?? factor.

Macarinelli/Ellis - fair play to Warren for getting Mac an opponent, but this was a mismatch. Macarinelli has been putting bums like Ellis away for years, the fact that A-Force KO'd Ellis in 2 made me realise this wasn't going long.

Watching the fight, it's a schooling on par with Mayweather/Gatti and De La Hoya is miles better than Gatti, even now. The seventh round was as sad as it was thrilling. The best thing is, Pacquiao did it going forward. At one point I was thinking he should take a page out of his business partner's playbook at just try to work into a clinch but it was over. De La Hoya was broken.

Was it that De La Hoya was miles worse than he has been in the past or was it that Pacquiao completely messed him up by being elusive and aggressive? In the former column, you could argue that a decline has been on the cards. Steve Forbes is a blown-up featherweight and he gave De La Hoya more trouble than he should have.

I think the second Mosley fight was the beginning of the slide. He gave Mosley a good whuppin' but the judges gave Mosley the win. I think the wrong doing from that fight sort of had an up-and-down effect on him.

After that Mosley fight he moves up Middleweight and gets a decision over Felix Sturm by a cunthair, then ironically looks great against Hopkins before he gets knocked out by a picture perfect liver punch.

Has a 20 month break and looks the second coming against Ricardo Mayorga, but then again, that's Ricardo Mayorga. He was clearly winning the Mayweather fight and looked awesome in the first half of the fight before gassing, and being in there with a genius didn't help things. Looks shakey against Forbes and then this. A sad end for an all time great. Boxing is going to miss him.

Mayweather V Pacquiao awaits!

Did anyone see the Tyson Fury fight? I initially thought it was a joke but he looked half decent. Okay, his opponent was hardly any class at all but he showed the right skills. Moves fast for a big guy too. Wonder what he'll be like after a proper training camp.