DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Room 6

A really bad movie here. I liked the sound of it, but really, this is a pretty big crock of shit. Slightly cool bits with deformed faces come in every so often, but that's pretty much all that I can find when it comes to positive things to say about the movie.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regeneration

This film is very stunning in what it is actually saying, and the thought provoking messages of the film are very powerful. It's a shame then that it doesn't live up to the character depth achieved in the novel, or the direct link the audience should have with Dr. Rivers. Howeve, it makes up for it's downfalls by bringing to life the trench warfare in a vivid manner, and by bridging the gap between what really happened and your sofa at home, ever so well. A film that everyone should watch, to gain a greater understanding of the sacrifices these men made.

8/10

• Paid Members

somone actually liked Cursed :duh: i watched it and i can comfortably say its abysmal, the film was dogged with problems all through production i think it was origionally gonna be a pretty hardcore horror movie but ended up being a hammy little teen-horror, shit film...probably the worst thing Wes Craven has put his name too.

Broken Flowers

I wasn't expecting much (I didn't like Lost in Translation, this seemed to be along the same lines), found it to be a pretty decent film. Bill Murray is absolutely amazing in this as he plays a laid-back character who couldn't give a shit, but in the last few scenes you see the facade drop and he appears so utterly pathetic and desperate.

His journey throughout America, really should drag and I thought it would, but I was so intrigued as to what he'd find on each visit (the Lolita reference I enjoyed, as am a big fan of that film)

I have come to the conclusion that, although i've always loved his comedy films, Bill Murray is a fucking good actor.

Edited by Gossy

• Paid Members

Broken FlowersI wasn't expecting much (I didn't like Lost in Translation, this seemed to be along the same lines), found it to be a pretty decent film. Bill Murray is absolutely amazing in this as he plays a laid-back character who couldn't give a shit, but in the last few scenes you see the facade drop and he appears so utterly pathetic and desperate.His journey throughout America, really should drag and I thought it would, but I was so intrigued as to what he'd find on each visit (the Lolita reference I enjoyed, as am a big fan of that film)I have come to the conclusion that, although i've always loved his comedy films, Bill Murray is a fucking good actor.****

the bit where the young chick walks out of the room naked is absolutely oustanding!

• Paid Members

The Omen (2006) - went to the cinema to see it yesterday (armed with me new unlimited cinema car :thumbsup: ), anyways...

*SPOILERS BELOW*

This is the first time ive watched a horror re-make and been kinda pissed off...the movie was shot for shot a copy of the origional, even most of the dialogue was the same. The only things they added were a psychologist scene involving Roberts (which was cut from the origional) and them fucking ridiculous dreamy moments Julia Stiles' character was getting when in the bath and stuff (i hate that generic scarey image shit).

Props goto the death scenes though, they changed them a little...the priest dying was cheap looking but the decapitation was fucking fantastic, didnt have the 'out of nowhere' reaction of the first but it looked amazing. death was more sinister than the first too.

The one thing they did change again kinda was that they made the breakdown of Katherine more the reaction of Damien's actions which they didnt really do in the first, i didnt really like it...in the first they kinda left Damien out of it left the audience as the only ones that knew what was going on.

Having said that...i recommend this, definatly. If your new to the horror genre and have never seen the origional you should definatly see it. Also the average cinema goer should enjoy this over the origional (the pacing and older look of the origional will put the majority off cause they suck).

Having said that if you're a fan of the first film this film might piss you off abit, cause its pretty much the same film.

Edited by Ebb

• Moderators

Surely the old-timey feel is part of what makes the original so scary?Just a question though - how is the score for the new version? The sparse and eeire, and sometimes downright harsh on the ears soundtrack is really a huge part of the original...

should enjoy this over the origional (the pacing and older look of the origional will put the majority off cause they suck)

You’re the only person I have ever heard complain about the pacing in Omen. What a strange comment.

• Paid Members

Surely the old-timey feel is part of what makes the original so scary?

yeh, but that kinda thing is lost on people these days...it's the same thing with the new Amityville movie, you make the average teen watch that and they'll fucking hate it, make em watch the new one and they'll probably enjoy it. People expect the flashy cgi horror movies these days, it's just the way it is...take for example Wolf Creek, that was a proper throw back to the old days and most people i know fucking hate it. Some people judge horror movies on how many people die and how inventive the ways they die are, so they like the flashy movies. The old eerie horrors are lost on em.

should enjoy this over the origional (the pacing and older look of the origional will put the majority off cause they suck)

You

Drop Dead Fred (1991)

I decided to watch this film for two reasons. Firstly, it's one that quite a few people seem to remember from their childhood, but I've never seen it. Secondly, it stars Rik Mayall. I realize that Drop Dead Fred is a kid's film, but, in my opinion, movies of that genre can still be very enjoyable, such as Ice Age.

Rik Mayall plays Drop Dead Fred, the imaginary friend of Elizabeth Cronin (Phoebe Cates). She saw him as a young girl, but he returns 21 years later, as Elizabeth struggles with her womanizing husband and controlling mother. Ultimately, it's a story about finding yourself.

I found Drop Dead Fred to be a very quirky film; akin to something that Tim Buron would make when he's not fucking it up like Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. The majority of the humour is extremely immature, but totally effective, and there are a few instances of slapstick comedy. Drop Dead Freds's somewhat extreme dialogue is the funniest element of humour, though. For example, in one scene, he asks Elizabeth for an axe, so that he can murder her mum.

Another interesting and surprising aspect of Drop Dead Fred is the incorporation of some adult humour. As only Elizabeth can see him, Drop Dead Fred likes to look up women's skirts. Additionally, there are several instances of fairly explicit language, such as 'bitch,' 'shit,' and, 'piss off.'

I've seen Rik Mayall in a couple of other family films and I thought his performances were relatively good. I think he's brilliant in Drop Dead Fred, though. His over-the-top actions and exaggerated mannerisms are perfectly suited to this film.

In short, I think this is a great and rather unorthadox juvenile comedy. In some parts, it's strangely moving, too. Although I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me, I think the harsh reviews for Drop Dead Fred are unfair, as is the 4.5 IMDB rating.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Watched two more movies last night.

16 Blocks

First off, I never want to see or hear Mos Def in a movie ever again. His voice was the most irritating voice I have come across in a movie. Outside of that, this was actually a pretty enjoyable movie. Bruce Willis is decent as the alcoholic cop, but there seemed to be more dimensions than usual added onto this one. Mos Def's performance was fine, but as I say, that voice is annoying. The performance that REALLY stood out for me though was David Morse as the crooked cop. That guy deserves a lot more exposure than he seems to get.

When a Stranger Calls

Hits a lot of the usual horror movie cliches. This movie pulled them off well though, and there was a pretty eerie atmosphere throughout the movie. The fact that you couldn't see ANYTHING that wasn't happening around the main character added a little bit to it. The phonecalls get a bit tedious after a while though.