DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Heat really that good?I have it on DVD and still haven't watched it!!!

Yes!I was hesitant with it at first, since it didn't appear that appealing at first glance, but when you watch it you realise its a masterpiece. Superb performances, and brillantly directed by Michael Mann.Fucking watch it!

HalloweenGot this free with the Sun a couple of weeks ago. Only ever seen bits of it from when its on tv every halloween, so i was looking forward to seeing it all the way through.The first half is very slow-paced, but builds up the characters well which makes you actually give a shit about them when they get bumped off. Michael Myers is a very creepy villian, with him stalking his victims for what seems like hours before striking. I loved the way Jamie Lee Curtis saw him numerous times out of the window, only to look again and see nothing. I can see why its considered a horror/slasher genre classic. I'd give it a 7.5/10

The Man Who Knew Too Much [1934]

If you've ever seen 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' this probably isn't the version you've seen. Yes, it is directed by Hitchcock, but he remade it in the US many years later and the latter film is the more popular version these days.

This film, set in London, sees a husband and wife try to stop the assassination of a government official and rescue their daughter from the murderers responsible.

It's by no means he greatest achievement ever, and would struggle to keep a modern audience interested (apart from Hitchcock fans). Sure Peter Lorre is great as the mastermind villain, and the plot is intriguing and fast paced, but due to the lack of Hitchcock's famous fast cut, tense inducing directing it doesn't standout.

Still not a bad film but by a long-shot, just not one of Hitch's greatest.

The Terminator

This was James Cameron's breakout film, and its no surprise why.

Its a great film, action done as it should be. Its enough tongue in cheek to overlook any plot holes or silliness, but still acquires the dark 80s violent feel to it, probably due to its plodding soundtrack and dank lighting.

Linda Hamilton is great as the central women, and is the movie strongest piece, even if the support cast's acting leaves something to be desired. Infact the only lead who I thought was absolutely terrible was good guy from the future Michael Biehn.

A very good action film, rightfully over-shadowed by its superior sequel.

• Paid Members

2001 Maniacs.

A group of people wind up in the Southern town of Pleasant Valley, greeted by Mayor Buckman (Robert Englund) and the fellow residents, who are just about to celebrate their annual 'Guts & Glory' festival. Initially treated as guests for the event, it becomes apparent that the residents have alternate, death-related motives for the guests.

I'm usually skeptical about horror films with Robert Englund playing someone other than Freddy, but this didn't disappoint. Some inventive deaths, barely any filler and a few laugh out loud moments too. I'd recommend it. :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

I watched Slither today. Imagine getting Night Of The Living Dead, The Thing and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and throwing them in a blender. The result is Slither. It's hardly the most original of movies but it's great fucking fun. A real blast to watch as it doesn't take itself too seriously, there's both laughs and scares and it has Nathan Fillion in it and he is probably the most likeable actor around today.

2001 Maniacs.A group of people wind up in the Southern town of Pleasant Valley, greeted by Mayor Buckman (Robert Englund) and the fellow residents, who are just about to celebrate their annual 'Guts & Glory' festival. Initially treated as guests for the event, it becomes apparent that the residents have alternate, death-related motives for the guests.I'm usually skeptical about horror films with Robert Englund playing someone other than Freddy, but this didn't disappoint. Some inventive deaths, barely any filler and a few laugh out loud moments too. I'd recommend it. :thumbsup:

i second this 2001 maniacs is a class flims saw it a while again and brings back the old days of horror. love the bit when the black guy gets killed (i willn't spoil it)

White Noise

This film includes Michael Keaton as John Rivers looking through hours and hours of static video tape hoping for something. And as a viewer of the film, you'll probably feel the same way throughout the film.

Despite its creepy set up with the idea of EVP (which has been relatively looked over by Hollywood), and at first Michael Keaton appears to be holding the film together. However, a terrible supporting cast (who looked as if they have been to the Over-Acting School Of Acting), and a stinky script which has the pace of a snail sadly write this film off as pretty crappy. Not the Sixth Sense it so badly wants to be.