DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulp Fiction

One of the best films of the 90s. Just brillant. 'Nuff said.

Confetti

A mockumentary that follows three couples as they battle it out to win the coveted title of 'Most Original Wedding of the Year'.

This is British comedy hitting the big screen, released last year it stars, Jimmy Carr, Robert Webb, Felicity Montagu, and Martin Freeman to name just a few. The style is very much 'Spinal Tap' in that all the character know they are being filmed, yet that doesn't stop their inane and bizare characterstic shining through.

The whole feel of the piece is good and very entertaining a times, often allowing the viewer glimpse of comedic genuis from shows such as Peep Show or The Office. However, the script writing on the whole isn't as sharp, and overall effect of this is that the film feels like a number of cameos of our favourite character saying daft stuff.

However, it has many funny moments (such as Ron Cook trying to dance in the style of 1950 US musicals and the first shot of Webb, naked on a bike), and the end is heart-warming without being over sentemental. This film is probably worth a watch, but not if a great British sitcom is on the box.

• Paid Members

I.DWasn't a bad hooligan film. Felt a bit dated in parts but was very intense to see the characters metamorphsis. Can someone explain exactly what he does at the end?

Its been a while since I seen it, but doesn't he turn into something that he hated? a thug?

• Paid Members

Windtalkers - this movie was a big flop, checking on imdb its pretty f'n hated...i dunno where that's coming from (maybe the slightly racist vibe it puts out on americans), i enjoyed this. It definatly lacks the gritty realism of say Saving Private Ryan, but this works great as a straight up war/action film. The emotional scenes fall alittle flat and are times pretty laughable but it's all about the action here for me. Slapped it on with the surround sound and it was a fun bit of viewing. I might trade in my dvd and get my hands on the directors cut (which apparently improves the movie).

I.DWasn't a bad hooligan film. Felt a bit dated in parts but was very intense to see the characters metamorphsis. Can someone explain exactly what he does at the end?

Its been a while since I seen it, but doesn't he turn into something that he hated? a thug?
See I was wondering if:SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
He Turned into a BNP facist, or was her really on a job like he said he was?

• Paid Members

Alien Vs Predator - 2nd viewing of this for me, this is a decent attempt to lump in with both series of movies but it aint without it's problems. One problem is the characters, their all so pointless and stupid that they all get bumped off in record time and you forget who was who and where the fuck they went...my main problem is the way the guy with the guide (i cant even remember names) figures out the whole Alien story in like 10minutes and reels it off like he read it in a book, fucking ridiculous!

Effects wise this is pretty impressive stuff, the CGI does at times look ridiculous and it lets it down abit, but i can live with that. The references made between this and the other movies are pretty cool, my favourite being the Bishop character appearing here as an ancestor/creator (its undetermined) of the Bishop droid in the Alien movies. It's not on a par with the origional Alien or Predator movies but i think it's a nice little addition to the series.

An Inconvenient Truth

Pretty captivating and engrossing documentary here. Al Gore very obviously feels strongly about the things he talks about here. He manages to inject some humour into what seems like a very very serious situation, and not once did I find this film to be the slightest bit boring, and it was actually pretty disturbing to watch at times. In particular, the speed in which the ice caps in the Antartica were melting. All in all, this was very good viewing.

Dog Day Afternoon

Holy fuck, what a film. Al Pacino's in the lead role as Sonny, a man who robs a bank alongside his friend, Sal. Soon, the whole thing turns into a media circus.

I can't really fault Dog Day Afternoon at all. It's excellently directed, tells an intriguing story and the acting is tremendous. I honestly can't speak highly enough of Pacino's performance, in particular; it's easily one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best. How Dog Day Afternoon isn't known alongside other classics from the 70s, like Rocky and The Godfather, is beyond me.

Edited by Van_Dammer

• Paid Members

Alien vs. Predator is genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Although it was unintentionally hilarious at times (like when the Predator almost pulls the hot female lead) I still hated it.

yeh man, i hear you. I can see why this film is hated by many, but for me it's just a dump action film with some wicked tie-ins to the classic origionals. I dunno why, but i got a kick out of it.

Alien vs. Predator is genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. Although it was unintentionally hilarious at times (like when the Predator almost pulls the hot female lead) I still hated it.

Totally agree. Was it just me or was there a scene where it looked they were about to kiss?