DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I didn't have them on funny, I just didn't think anything really popped out bar a handful of scenes.

Thats a good thing though. The 3d in general was very good and gave the film an extra something. Especially with the visuals being so good anyway. I prefered this to the usual 3d films where characters constantly find excuses to throw things towards the camera or poke broom handles out toward us.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Due to my friend talking about how watching Bolt had him feel as though a pair of hands came out to either side of his head, I was expecting something similar. However, It definitely boosted the already-superb animation and I'd certainly go to see another 3D film. :thumbsup:

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT ( 2009 REMAKE ) - 7.5/10

Well this turned out much better than I'd expected to be honest as normally remakes are a bit shite, overall I couldnt fault it 1 bit apart from the bit right at the end I didnt know if the dad really did that or not.

It would of been better if I hadnt already seen the original but I saw it that long ago ( about 12 years ) that I'd forgot bits and pieces but remembered the main parts like who dies etc.

Still well worth a watch though I reckon.

I agree it's well worth a watch.

The rape scene was incredibly hard to watch.

Also agree about that bit you mentioned, not sure if he did or not.

A Clockwork Orange: I remembered seeing a bit of this years ago and just thinking it was weird, but I've been enjoying weird films recently so I bought a copy. Great film, still very very weird but in a British way. I love the odd have russian half slang that the main characters use. I really want to get a copy of Brazil now, but they didn't have it in HMV.

Good film... I might give it a watch again soon.

I watched Finding Nemo at the weekend as well as Night at the Museum through the week seeing as theres now a sequel. Agree with the gentle comedy aspect, though I did get distracted with so many faces from so many places.

I've not got Spaced series one to rewatch, the last Indiana Jones film to see if it's really as bad as people say (I never paid for it, so it's all good either way), the Wrestler on DVD to rewatch and Stargate's Ark of Truth which I got from LoveFilm a week ago and haven't had time to see yet.

I shall have an entertaining few days.

Nemo - Great

Spaced - Great

Indie - Good

The Wrestler - Great

Stargate - I hate Stargate

Should be a fun few days for you.

Ark of truth is dissapointing if your a Gatey :(

LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT ( 2009 REMAKE ) - 7.5/10

Well this turned out much better than I'd expected to be honest as normally remakes are a bit shite, overall I couldnt fault it 1 bit apart from the bit right at the end I didnt know if the dad really did that or not.

It would of been better if I hadnt already seen the original but I saw it that long ago ( about 12 years ) that I'd forgot bits and pieces but remembered the main parts like who dies etc.

Still well worth a watch though I reckon.

I agree it's well worth a watch.

The rape scene was incredibly hard to watch.

Also agree about that bit you mentioned, not sure if he did or not.

If it wasn't for the fact the trailer basically gave away these parts, they could be classified as spoilers.

I've not got Spaced series one to rewatch,

Nor have I. :confused:

Sun + Sleep deprivation = typo :(

Ended up putting it on last night. I'm determined to show it to a recent new fan of Simon Pegg's to convert her to my taste.

Ark of truth is dissapointing if your a Gatey :(

I watched way back when it was on Sky 1 and quite liked it then, thought of it as the superior of the two when I watched Continuum, but as it's the plans for season 11 packed into a single DVD you can see where they could have packed more in/stretched it out. For a new fan it's also very inaccessible. If someone wanted to check out Stargate and see what the fuss was about, maybe start small instead of a season, they'd be fucked if this is what they picked up.

And like with most latter SG1 stuff - needs more Vala.

watched Tokyo Gore Police as someone mentioned it was a good gore film.

I must disagree, what a load of todswhallop!

interesting concept but the special effects weren`t that good and the `flying police officer` was `WAY!!!!` (cant emphesise that way enough there!) too much

• Paid Members
Drag Me To Hell - Whilst undoubtedly very good, it's outrageously silly at times. That's clearly the intention but it sort of spoiled the film a little bit. Slightly surprised at the fact it's getting called the best horror film in years. It may be great but the large of amounts of humour really detract from the horror elements and ensure that all but the tensest moments are devoid of any real scare. Edited by elegia

Back to the Future 1 & 2. Both ones I've unintentionally avoided all my life, and now finally seen. 1 was okay, 2 was just bearable but I'm absolutely dreading 3, and I know it's on the horizon soon, its a BttF cleansing of sorts by my bird. It's not a fair swap, I've introduced her to the American Office, and she's loved it. I've got to put up with lame self-referential jokes for 1.5 hrs at a time and find some good.

I'll give a film respect if I believe it's due though, Biff is a massive twat of a baddie, I'll give them that.

• Paid Members
Back to the Future 1 & 2. Both ones I've unintentionally avoided all my life, and now finally seen. 1 was okay, 2 was just bearable but I'm absolutely dreading 3

Why don't you make like a tree and get outta here!

• Paid Members
Drag Me To Hell - Whilst undoubtedly very good, it's outrageously silly at times. That's clearly the intention but it sort of spoiled the film a little bit. Slightly surprised at the fact it's getting called the best horror film in years. It may be great but the large of amounts of humour really detract from the horror elements and ensure that all but the tensest moments are devoid of any real scare.

I'm the only one seemingly not getting the love for this movie. While I thought some scenes were pretty nifty, overall it was just pretty silly really. I'm down with the whole supernatural elements, because it would be pretty silly to have that as a gripe in a film of this sort, but the way it which its all executed is disappointing. The scares are the same old, same old type of "everything goes still and silent, the BANG goes a loud noise and something pops up" thing, thats really just jumpy bits rather than an actual scare or do anything in the way of creating tension.

Got around to Indy 4.

Ok... so a lot of people were on about the aliens angle making it pish when it was released. The way it was presented, it wasn't much different from the previous film which is probably still my favourite of the bunch despite having a religious basis which I have much less faith in than the possibility of Aliens.

It was nice to see the idea of them passing the torch (despite there likely never being a 5th), a few callbacks, pointing out that he's much older now and more James Bondish nods. Oh, and a Janitor in the FBI. The fridge thing was the only part that really made me cringe, though considering that was one of the initial concepts for BTTF it was a little bit amusing.

I was hoping for more fleshed out villians, but it was alright. Not as bad as I was expecting given the shite reviews.

Edited by Evolution

Drag Me To Hell - Whilst undoubtedly very good, it's outrageously silly at times. That's clearly the intention but it sort of spoiled the film a little bit. Slightly surprised at the fact it's getting called the best horror film in years. It may be great but the large of amounts of humour really detract from the horror elements and ensure that all but the tensest moments are devoid of any real scare.

I'm the only one seemingly not getting the love for this movie. While I thought some scenes were pretty nifty, overall it was just pretty silly really. I'm down with the whole supernatural elements, because it would be pretty silly to have that as a gripe in a film of this sort, but the way it which its all executed is disappointing. The scares are the same old, same old type of "everything goes still and silent, the BANG goes a loud noise and something pops up" thing, thats really just jumpy bits rather than an actual scare or do anything in the way of creating tension.

That's the charm of some of the 80s horror titles that it was based on though. Evil Dead is the perfect example (same director too, obviously) of this.

• Paid Members

Saw Night At The Museum 2 last night. Pretty predictable fair, with Ben Stiller doing his Ben Stiller routine, and Ricky Gervais doing his bumbling, awkward phrasing routine. The plot's an absolute no-brainer, with much of the film in a warehouse filled with whatever the writers felt like. Special Effects are so-so, with some of the simpler effects being more effective.

The star of the show is definately Hank Azaria, and his love of Monty Python is not exactly disguised ("Shall I welease Woderwick?"). He's also clearly been hitting the gym as he's sporting some rather impressive arms.

The second star of the show is Amy Adams' lower half in gloriously tight trousers.

Owen Wilson is somewhat bland in it, Steve Googhan gets a few decent lines, Christopher Guest is great but underused, and Robin Williams isn't overbearing. Which is nice.

All in all, enjoyable fluff, which I enjoyed more than the first. This is probably due to the efforts of Azaria, Guest and the tight trousers.