DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Korean martial arts film The City of Violence starring my faverate Korean actor whos name i can never remember but i know his work from many movies and is a very good martial arts star from Korea.It tells a story of a policeman from another city coming back to his old hometown to visit his friends and to the funeral of one of his long time friends who was murdered by a gang of thugs.A lot of wild scenes in this with great fight sequances, some good acting and some really odd moments involving a bunch of break dancers surrounding the main character after attacking him then as he battles them, a bunch of school girls swinging chains, school boys, a baseball squad and some other thugs swarm the joint chasing him through the streets which was REALLY cool. Great film but a tad short.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Guide To Recoqnising Your Saints

A really excellent film that covers a young New Yorker from the worst part of the city growing up and leaving it, then returning in his adult years to the past haunts and friends/ family he has erased from his life.

This is the first film by Dito Montiel, the film is autobiographical to his life and uses him as a teen as the lead (with Shi LaBeouf taking the role, heb is fucking excellent, so watchable and def one of the best new actors I have seen), with a great Robert Downey jnr acting as the adult Dito.

The film captures the mood of the time so well, a lot like This Is England, by painting the back-drop full of pop soundtrack numbers and fads (see the brutal attack whilst the gang member is playing Asteriods). Unlike This Is England, the film is very emotionally well observed and although both films are full of well-observed feelings and emotions, this flick deals with them really inteligently.

A stand-out film. I can't recomend it enough.

I really enjoyed This Is England, but I felt A Guide To Recoqnising Your Saints was more sophisticated. This Is England uses very obvious feelings of anger at his dads death to drive him to racism and with the film's ultimate blame being on the british society of the 1980s. However, A Guide... uses the contextual back-drop to fuel Ditto's unhappiness, but it is a more complex mixture of his relationship with his dad, Antonio, and his future. AND, it uses the older Ditto to further comment on these feelings as he returns to NY to face what he has run away from.

• Paid Members

War

Watched this earlier today.. it was OK. Jet Li is always a badass.. Statham has had better films. I actually enjoyed it a bit less than I thought I would though (being a huge Jet Li fan)

One thing that was surprising... (spoilers just incase it ruins it for anyone)

The twist at the end.. it was one of those films that you really didnt expect a twist to be put it. Normally its just a 'bad guy gets personal with good guy.. good guy kills bad guy'... but this one took a totally different turn.. and I think it was pretty well done.

Ratatouille...I normally really like Pixar films (Nemo & Monsters Inc being my 2 favourites) but this one didn't really grab me, it had some really good chase sequences but I'm not really understanding how it's ranked as the 85th best film ever made according to IMDB rankings..

I have no interest in Ratatouille. Not only does it seem like the latest cash-cow from Disney/Pixar, rather than a film, I just don't get the appeal of the rat. Ooh he's blue! How cute! No. He's a rat. Show him covered in vermin, chewing through cables setting your family on fire in the middle of the night before eating your eyes open, then maybe I'd be interested.

Series 7 : The Contenders

Anyone else watch this ? Basically a movie about a reality TV show where the winner is the last one alive. Lots of fun mainly for the crazy old woman. She's hilarious. Gob's in it too, and it's hard not to love Gob. I enjoyed the hell out of it, even if it was ridiculous at points.

Guest Josh Jenkins

I have no interest in Ratatouille. Not only does it seem like the latest cash-cow from Disney/Pixar, rather than a film, I just don't get the appeal of the rat. Ooh he's blue! How cute! No. He's a rat. Show him covered in vermin, chewing through cables setting your family on fire in the middle of the night before eating your eyes open, then maybe I'd be interested.

What makes it "the latest cash-cow from Disney/Pixar" rather than a film?

The other night I got round to watching Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room.It continues to amaze me the stuff that corporations and individuals get away with, especially in the United States. Very good documentary for those with an interest in economics and or politics I'd say (and perhaps even the Michael Moore mob).