DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

The Matador

This is the newest movie by Pierce Brosnan since his last bond movie, I didnt expect much from it, but it was a damn good movie. Its about Julian Noble (Pierce Brosnan) who gets friends Danny Wright (Greg Kinnear) in a bar in Mexico, Julian is a tired hitman who wants out of these jobs cause he gets more and more weak each time he needs to kill someone, he fails and cant do them. its a great movie and everyone should go see it. Hidden great movie :)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Eternal Sunshine is a wierd fucking film. The memory eraser scenes are positively mental. Enjoyed it though.

Yeah.. definitely very wierd.. One of those films that leaves you feeling a little funny for a bit after you finish watching it... For me anyway; I found the same thing with A Beautiful Mind...

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

An insane general starts a process to nuclear holocaust that a war room of politicians and generals frantically try to stop.

Dr. Strangelove, Stanley Kubrick's 1964 film, is very topical as it satires Cold War paranoia. It's actually quite unique in the sense that it's somewhat more intricate than your average comedy and doesn't play out in the same way as older ones, like Young Frankenstein and Airplane. Instead of a non-stop laughs, Dr. Strangelove provides jokes that are nicely built-up through its plot and is considerably darker, too.From what I've heard about it, I was expecting a great amount of slapstick from this film. That wasn't the case, however. Fundamentally, everything is played rather straight, with a combination of sometimes silly dialogue, absurd situations and irony, which works well. The scene in which President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers) is on the phone to a drunken Kissoff exemplifies this and is one of the funniest parts of the film.Peter Sellers is nothing short of great throughout, though. He plays three different characters and does so flawlessly. Each of them are funny in their own way and he always appears to have exceptional chemistry with his co-stars. Unfortunately, Dr. Strangelove is very dated now. It's not only because of the subject matter; the pacing seems far to slow at times, especially during the beginning. I'm assuming that audiences were a lot easier to entertain in the 1960s.Nevertheless, this is a good comedy that is certainly worthwhile. Edited by Van_Dammer

• Paid Members

Bad Company - 70's westerm starring Jeff Bridges...pretty unfamiliar territory for me, but this was a fucking brilliant film. About a group of young travellers robbing their way across the country. Basically a road-trip kinda film...it's all light hearted and fun kinda like Stand By Me in western form. The film is pretty unsettling at times though (there's a horrible but brilliant scene involving a dead rabbit) and some pretty heartbreaking moments in the film. I Highly recommend this, i dunno how good it is in western terms cause i haven't seen many but from what ive read this movie is seen as one of the lost gem's of the 70's.

An insane general starts a process to nuclear holocaust that a war room of politicians and generals frantically try to stop.

Dr. Strangelove, Stanley Kubrick's 1964 film, is very topical as it satires Cold War paranoia. It's actually quite unique in the sense that it's somewhat more intricate than your average comedy and doesn't play out in the same way as older ones, like Young Frankenstein and Airplane. Instead of a non-stop laughs, Dr. Strangelove provides jokes that are nicely built-up through its plot and is considerably darker, too.From what I've heard about it, I was expecting a great amount of slapstick from this film. That wasn't the case, however. Fundamentally, everything is played rather straight, with a combination of sometimes silly dialogue, absurd situations and irony, which works well. The scene in which President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers) is on the phone to a drunken Kissoff exemplifies this and is, in my opinion, one of the funniest parts of the film.Peter Sellers is nothing short of great throughout, though. He plays three different characters and does so flawlessly. Each of them are funny in their own way and he always appears to have exceptional chemistry with his co-stars. Unfortunately, Dr. Strangelove is very dated now. It's not only because of the subject matter; the pacing seems far to slow at times, especially during the beginning. I'm assuming that audiences were a lot easier to entertain in the 1960s.Nevertheless, this is a good comedy that is definitely worthwile.
Strange movie.Not actually very good. The critical acclaim came from somwhere, but I'm not sure WHERE it came from. Not a bad movie, but nothing special.

Strange movie.Not actually very good. The critical acclaim came from somwhere, but I'm not sure WHERE it came from. Not a bad movie, but nothing special.
I liked it, but I'll agree that it's overrated. Dr. Strangelove is currently ranked as the number one comedy on the IMDB, which it shouldn't be. Edited by Van_Dammer

Beverly Hills Cop

A freewheeling Detroit cop, Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy), pursues a murder investigation and finds himself dealing with the very different culture of Beverly Hills.

Beverly Hills Cop has a really simple plot and is loaded with cliches. The dialogue, action and, to some degree, characters are conventional, but still done rather well. Essentially, the action elements of it are secondary, though, as this is plays out like an original comedy more so than a cop movie. For instance, Beverly Hills Cop seems to provide a succession of situations for Eddie Murphy to simply be funny.I'm biased when it comes to old comedies starring Eddie Murphy. During his prime, he was fast, edgey and extremely funny. In films, he obviously couldn't be as explicit and raw as he could during his stand-ups, but his performances were always great. In Beverly Hills Cop, I think Murphy is perfect in his role. Alex F is sharp, cunning, two steps ahead of everyone else, but also very humourous.In overview, Beverly Hills Cop is an entertaining film that showcases Eddie Murphy on top form. Edited by Van_Dammer

Hey V_D did you catch that on the TV the other day ?. I was meant to watch it again but forgot :/ . I'am right in thinking it was the one where he could see the alien's threw the specs he found ?

Yes, you would be right, G, that's the one.They Live was on The Sci-Fi Channel recently, wasn't it? I actually missed it when it was on, so I downloaded it...

Yeah must of been Sci-Fi, I'll catch it again. Or if not I'am sure I'll get my hands on it ;)

V For Vendetta - got the Deluxe HMV edition this week, brilliant movie and if you havent seen it, you have to beg, steal or borrow it. Story of a man truly destroyed by Britian, which in the future is a Totalitatrian State. You truly want him to succeed in blowing parliament up. A truly fantastic movie and i watched every second of the extras, which i never do. I want more dammit!.Also Castle Of Cagliostro - pre Ghibli Anime shown on Film 4 - nice film about a Theif (Lupin) saving a princess from the count of cagliostro who runs the biggest counterfit operation in the world. He teams up with an Inspector to claim the girl and get the bad guys put away. Its over 25 years old, but stands up to (and in many cases looks better) than the anime of today.

The Godfather Trillogy, I cant believe it took me this long, but after seeing Goodfellas and Scarface, I decided to give it a shotAbsoultely amazing, 1 and 2, its hard to decide which I preferAlso watched Carlito's Way, another awesome film

Absoultely amazing, 1 and 2, its hard to decide which I prefer

Its got to be 2 all the way. :thumbsup:Rebecca Another Hitchcock classic I recently got round to watch, and for fans of Hitchcock fans this is something you will defenitley like, even if it is a different story to what he is famous for directing. The story follows the romance of a young lady who is romanced by the wealthy Maxi Dewinter. They marry quickly, and move to his big mansion in the country, where the young Mrs. Dewinter is haunted by the new social class and the presence of the former Mrs. Dewinter, Rebecca.This film is a romantic thriller, with the second half of the film dealing out twist and turns like its an episode of Lost, thus ensuring the viewers attention is controlled from the opening sequence to the revealing conclusion. Laurence Oliver is amazing, and is only shadowed by the beautiful and brillant Joan Fontane who steal the main leading roles. Everything from the use of shadows to the beautiful scenery is manipulated by Hitchcock throughout, to create a thrilling and chilling film.The film's strong undertones of class inequality and themes of loyalty are perfectly balanced by the endurance of the characters and the plot.This is easily one of his strongest films and possibly his most accepted by lovers of all genres of films. Even your nan who watches Coronation Street and enjoys rubbish Channel 5 afternoon films will like this (although she probably saw it at the cinema!).