DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Cruel Intentions

Spoiled upperclass step-siblings Kathryn (Sarah Michelle Gellar) and Sebastian (Ryan Phillippe) agree upon a wager of sexual conquest. If Sebastian can't bed Annette (Reese Witherspoon), an innocent virgin, Katherin gets his classic car. If he succeeds, Sebastian gets Kathryn.

Cruel Intentions definitely exceeded my expectations. This tale of seduction and revenge is far superior to most movies that it's associated with. With a compelling story, good characters, elements of humour and a darker, edgier tone, it's enjoyable and somewhat different.

The acting is also surprisingly good. Sarah Michelle Gellar, in particular, plays her role to absolute perfection. She's great as a devilish vixen, who hides her true personality when required, so she can capitalize on every opportunity. Plus, Gellar looks incredible as a brunnette.

Cruel Intentions is competently directed and, technically, well-suited to the dark nature of the film. However, I disliked that it occasionally deviated from this. It's a shame that there are several instances of predictable dialogue and a few cliched and cheesy scenes. Thankfully, they don't totally ruin the movie, though.

So, whilst Cruel Intentions may not be a landmark film, it's much better than people often give it credit for.

Edited by Van_Dammer

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars

A mildly enjoyable film, which is slow starting but improves a little in the second-hour. The positives first - Cars is about as great looking as you would expect from a Pixar movie with some nice car designs, the film has a good voice-cast with some good cameos, and there is a good soundtrack as well.

On the negative side

• Paid Members

Batman Forever - aint watched any of the old Batman films for awhile, banged this one on and really enjoyed it...the comic book feel to it is way different to the serious movie from last year but it makes for a fun watch. The best thing about this film though is the bad guys, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones fucking own it as The Riddler and Two Face, very funny turns from the both of em. Great fun!

Batman Forever - aint watched any of the old Batman films for awhile, banged this one on and really enjoyed it...the comic book feel to it is way different to the serious movie from last year but it makes for a fun watch. The best thing about this film though is the bad guys, Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones fucking own it as The Riddler and Two Face, very funny turns from the both of em. Great fun!

I really enjoy Batman Forever, I think it gets a lot of unfair criticism. It's certainly nowhere near the level of shite that was Batman & Robin. Carrey is tremendous as Riddler, especially I think in the scenes where he's just Edward Nygma. "Does anybody else feel like a fried egg?"I don't think Tommy Lee Jones was very good as Two-Face, however. In fact, I think his performance overdid it completely and came off as a poor imitation of The Joker. The complete over the-top maniacal laughing and crazyness should have been left to Carrey. Over than that, it's good. It's not as great as the first two films, but still fun.

Lucky Number Slevin

This is one of the best movies I seen this year so far I think, maybe it was because I didnt expect much from it. But the plots and the twists was so excellent done. The cast is an great one too Josh Hartnett, Bruces Willis, Lucy Liu (which im beginning to like more and more), Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman. Go see this movie now. 4 out of 5 stars

Find Me Guilty

This is one of the newest Vin Diesel movies around. Its based on a mobster in the US who defended himself in the longest mafia trial in US history. This was one of the most weak Vin Diesel movies I ever seen, I really didnt like it too much as most of the movie was all about the trial, which got boring after a while. They should have cut 30 mins off the movie. 2 hours was too much. 2 out of 5 stars

• Paid Members

The World's Fastest Indian biopic of Burt Munro, the man who broke the land speed record back in the day. I remember reading a review likening this to David Lynch's The Straight Story, which is a movie i love so i had to check this. The comparisons were justified, as alot of this film is similar (especially the journey part of the film). This film was absolute quality, Anthony Hopkins is brilliant as the slightly deaf, slightly crazy Munro...managing to genuinley maintain the character wit and charm despite all the setbacks he gets in the film, with a lesser actor the film probably wouldnt have worked but Hopkins rules it, theres even talk of him getting an oscar nod for his performance. Anyway's this is brilliant, if you liked The Straight Story this is a must-see. One of the most uplifting movies your ever likely to see.

I Watched Seed of Chucky Last Night and can't only say don't watch it. has to be the shitty moive i ve watched this year even killer clowns from outer space was better then this crap. I enjoyed Childs play and Chucky 2 but the series went down hill then(have to say bride of chucky was watchalbe and i did enjoy it a bit) only good think about seed of chucky was that that bitch from s club 7 got set on fire(I ve always wish i could do that)apprently wolf creek is on Flim 4 tonight. I ve always wanted to see this moive but for some reason never got it on dvd or went to see it. I am Hopeing going out tonight so i gotta try and fix my video record so i can't watch it tomorrow.can someone tell me is it anygood. it sounds a bit like wrong turn (kids getting lost in the woods with a killer after them)

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia SWAT team members, a traffic reporter, and his television-executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.

During the first fifteen minutes or so, Dawn Of The Dead really failed to maintain my interest. From that point onward, though, I enjoyed it as it begins to build nicely and creates a great atmosphere. It becomes increasingly significant that time is running out for the four protagonists and that fending for their survival is going to become nearly impossible. Every element of the film comes together perfectly towards the end and results in a fantastic, gory climax.In overview, Dawn Of The Dead isn't as consistently gory as I had hoped. However, there is a degree of focus on character development and films subtext instead, which are definitely important. Nonetheless, the ending alone is violent and visceral enough to keep any horror fan happy.It's very rarely that I say this about a film, but I actually think the remake is better. Neither can touch Night Of The Living Dead (1968), though.The Hot Chick

Jessica (Rachel McAdams), an attractive and popular teenager, who is mean spirited toward others, finds herself in the body of an older man (Rob Schneider), and must find a way to get back to her original body.

Firstly; Yes, Rob Schneider is shit, but he's strangley bareable and sometimes funny in this film. Perhaps it's because The Hot Chick relies on its slapstick comedy, dialogue, gross-out moments and most of the major cast as opposed to mainly his performance.Anna Faris, who plays Jessica's best friend, is perfect as a gormless character. She plays it somewhat differently to her role as Cindy in the Scary Movie films, but her mannerisms and reactions, although more subtle at times, fundamentally remain the same. Either way, Faris is absolutely beautiful in The Hot Chick. There's some nice eye candy with the likes of her and Rachel McAdams in this film, alongside minor appearances from Ashlee Simpson and Tia and Tamera Mowry.Overall, The Hot Chick isn't as bad you'd assume. It has a pretty simple premise and is essentially an average teen flick, but it's enjoyable and provides a few very funny scenes. It's guilty pleasure material. Edited by Van_Dammer