WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me: I've just realised a lifelong ambitionDave: what's that then?me: rightwellI installed TVersitywhich is a UPnP media server that will transcode anything, given the right codecsDave: rightme: so it streams stuff to the PS3works very very well, a pain to set up, but it's worth itDave: will give it a lookme: then I put the PS3 in remote play modeDave: yeahme: and connected to it with the PSP and streamed the video to thatso the long and the short of it isI can now watch TV on the toilet :)

I have the media server running on PS3, but never knew you could do all that! I have been wanting a PSP for a while now, still holding out incase the new model is announced at E3.

Is this similar to Orb? With that you can stream videos, pics, music etc from your PC to any device that supports flash. I use it for playing back files that are on my PC to my TV, via the Wii. You can even access them remotely assuming you've got a reasonable connection.

I've never come across Orb before, but from what I can tell from the website, the results are similar but the technology is very different.Techy explanation for those interested:UPnP (universal plug-and-play) media streaming needs server software on your PC. This reads your local media, transcodes it to a format that whatever client you've got (e.g. my PS3) can handle, and sends it over HTTP. Windows Vista and Windows Media Centre Edition can act as UPnP servers. On XP, Windows Media Player 11 and the old Windows Media Connect can do some of it - they can stream any audio and only WMV video, but most media clients can't render WMV. (The Xbox 360 can, but it will only connect to Vista or MCE for video. Grr.)TVersity is a free UPnP media server that runs on XP and has no such annoying restrictions, but the installation isn't as simple as it should be (it's only compatible with particular codec implementations and you have to sort them out manually). It will stream practically anything off the PC and will stream podcasts, vodcasts and incoming live media streams as well (but I haven't got that to work with the PS3 yet - not sure why).UPnP clients are network-media-player-type things. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have these capabilities to varying degrees.Getting the media to the PSP is done with the Remote Play feature that the PS3 and PSP have. It's a bit like a cross between Terminal Services and UPnP streaming. Given a Wi-Fi access point, I can connect the PSP to my PS3 and drive it remotely, and then launch whatever media is on it. This includes media that's streamed to it from the PC. It doesn't just work locally, either - yesterday I started the UFC Countdown show downloading before I left for work and then watched it on the PSP in the office at lunchtime.It's one of those limited-practical-use things that still makes my geek-sense really, really tingle. :)

I'm almost on the verge of selling my PSP, all it does is collect dust nowadays, the novelty has worn off for me.

Must admit that there's been nothing new to tempt me in a while, but I'm still playing lots and lots of Tekken DR while the telly's on.

• Paid Members

Im in need for some good Playstation 2 games. Havent played any amazing ones since Resident Evil 4.. which is probably joint top in the best game I've ever played (along with Metal Gear 2)Are there any good ones out right now. or games that have been released in the last few months?Also... has anyone played Metal Gear 3 Subsistence?.. Ive played Metal Gear 3-Snake Eater.. so would there be any point for me getting Subsistence? (I wont be playing online)

• Moderators

Is this similar to Orb? With that you can stream videos, pics, music etc from your PC to any device that supports flash. I use it for playing back files that are on my PC to my TV, via the Wii. You can even access them remotely assuming you've got a reasonable connection.

:confused: I have a Wii, and I think I am very interested in what you've said there... Any chance of an idiot's guide kinda explanation??

It now enables you to stream live TV if you have a capture card.

So you can stream Neighbours from your WinTV card, over the Internet, into your Wii, and finally onto your television screen?Progress~!
If your Wii's in a room that doesn't have a TV feed it's a cable free solution. Also, it's not just for the Wii though. You can stream it from a PC to any device in the world that has a flash capable browser and a decent internet connection.
I have a 360 but I am dumb.Does it have flash? i'm asking because I hate windows media centre and wouldn't mind trying this out.

That Orb program is awesome with the PS3 as well, had only really be using it to stream music but going to look over these flash channels. Definitely going to get a PSP now, just waiting for the new model in September.

• Awards Moderator

Im in need for some good Playstation 2 games. Havent played any amazing ones since Resident Evil 4.. which is probably joint top in the best game I've ever played (along with Metal Gear 2)Are there any good ones out right now. or games that have been released in the last few months?

I've recently picked up both Okami and God Hand - total other ends of the spectrum. God Hand is a run-around-walloping-people in the most ridiculous tongue in cheek way. Mega combos, a demon-possessed arm, lots of kicks to the balls and the most hilariously cheesy script ever. Oh and rock hard to boot. Ridiculous fun though. Spatular, this is right up your boulevard.Okami is a serene adventure very much in the vein of Zelda (it's the got the dog and brush gimmick). There isn't a game in the world like it. Haven't given it much time yet but I'm sure it's great.Oh and I've downloaded the full Guitar Hero 80s tracklisting from iTunes in readiness. This is an obssession :(

Also... has anyone played Metal Gear 3 Subsistence?.. Ive played Metal Gear 3-Snake Eater.. so would there be any point for me getting Subsistence? (I wont be playing online)

I haven't played Subsistence but the massive overhaul is the online thing. There's been a camera change as well, but otherwise I doubt it's worthwhile.

Just polished off Crackdown on the Xbox 360!Very cool game which still has a little bit of life left in it for me because of the achievements, but will now move on to my second game on the Xbox!To Play I have:Just CauseGhost Recon 2Munch's OddeseySonic The Hedgehogwith a healthy dose of Smackdown and Fifa to occupy me when I'm just looking for a bit of fun!

Currently playing through Final Fantasy XII on the PS2.Playing World Of Warcraft on a daily basis for 2 years now and thinking of installing Starcraft to touch up on the story with Starcraft 2 Being developed and announced. Occasional Warcraft 3 and Battlefield 2.