The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

can some one list all the WWE DESIRE videos?any websites which have all of them (i only got like 4 of the videos)

Edited by amgpower

• Paid Members

I'm slowly working my way through Chokehold which is a great read showing the depths at which the NWA went to in order to keep things 'proper' in relation to outlaw promotions and blacklisting of wrestlers. From this, I was wondering what was attempted to try and quash Vince's nationalisation of the WWF? Surely they didn't just let him expand into territories which weren't his own, or did they? My knowledge of this subject is very poor so I'm not sure even if the question is a valid one, but can anyone provide a rough summary of what went down? :)

The first few places he 'expanded' to, such as Northern California, had been abandoned by their NWA promoters, so there weren't any real problems at first. Once he started running direct opposition, a lot of promoters wrongly guessed he'd overspend and go bust, so they didn't react as quickly as they should.The first real 'fightback' was Pro Wrestling USA, which was a loose coalition between Jim Crockett (Carolinas and later Georgia), Verne Gagne (AWA) and Carlos Colon (Puerto Rico), which tried running shows in the greater New York area. These did OK at first but they couldn't draw regularly, and couldn't work together.In most of the towns were WWF ran 'opposition', they only did well in 84/85 where the local territory was already struggling or had folded. In places with strong local groups, WWF didn't draw well at first. For example, the closed-circuit broadcast of the first WrestleMania was cancelled in Memphis after they only sold seven tickets in advance! And a lot of Vince's early tactics (buying out TV slots, getting mainstream attention through MTV and New York, getting on NBC) didn't necessarily involve direct competition, so it made it a lot harder to fight back with cartel tactics.The main tool the NWA had to fight back - the TBS slots owned by Georgia - wound up with Vince for a while (after he bought out Georgia from underneath Ole Anderson) and when a messy legal situation was resolved, it wound up with Jim Crockett controlling his own group, plus Georgia, and having all the TBS airtime. He soon stopped any serious attempts to support his fellow NWA promoters, particularly by withholding the NWA champion Ric Flair from most bookings outside his area, and started buying out other areas such as St Louis, Florida and Mid-South (UWF). (Both UWF and World Class had attempted to go national during what the media saw as a wrestling boom, but both failed.)All that was then left of any note outside of McMahon and Crockett was AWA, Memphis and World Class (Dallas). These three groups tried working together, to different degrees of formality, but everyone was out to scam everyone else, and they all started dropping off. AWA was still technically going until the start of 1991, but for the last few years it didn't really have any life outside taping TV for ESPN. Jerry Jarrett of Memphis bought out Dallas, and Memphis survived (like a cockroach) until 1997, but only on a very low-budget scale.By the end of 1988, when Turner bought out Crockett, it was pretty much a two horse race nationally.So to answer the original question, it was a case of:* promoters being slow off the mark to respond;* promoters not trusting each other or working together well (without the single leadership that WWF had);* Jim Crockett seeing where the land lay and making sure he got as big as possible, regardless of his 'NWA principles'; and* some of the stronger NWA groups thinking they could compete nationally and burning out.EDIT - I forgot to mention that NWA President Sam Muchnick had stepped down a couple of years before Vince started expansion. He'd been the real powerhouse/unifying influence on the alliance, so without him the individual promoters were far more likely to pursue their own interests. Edited by JNLister

What's the address of that shop in Camden that sells Lucha mask?

It's called House of Guadeloupe - I can't find the address, there was a website but I can't find it anymore.If you wanna go check if he's still there these are my sketchy directions...Okay - there's that little bit with the random town crier and little stand with techno music pumping out and a huge crazy doughnut cart (man I love Camden). Stand facing the doughnut cart (techno and crying behind you) and there's a doorway going in to a building with loads of shops in on your left - he's just inside there on the left, the masks are in a wicker basket on the floor priced

Thanks a lot for that, fascinating stuff. It's amazing how much of an influence Muchnick had in keeping the NWA as a cohesive unit. I wonder if things would have been different if he was still in power when Vince went for it. Were there any examples of the NWA trying to prevent Vince from using arenas which was so prevelent in their dealings with outlaw promotions? As an example, in Chokehold, Wilson talks about his trouble in booking the Omni Arena. I know Vince was an actual member of the NWA so was he exempt from stuff like that?

It all started with the general Superstars video, which was done to Creed's "My Sacrifice". They also made an Austin video, to Creed's "Weathered", which lasted a few weeks before Austin walked out (so you can probably date that to some time in early 2002).

Are you sure? I know you're the Music Maestro and all, but I could have sworn that Austin's was also done to 'My Sacriice'.Great idea btw, Rick.
No, I'm pretty sure they used "Weathered" for Austin's video. I remember hearing that song on a video, but it didn't last long (which would coincide with Austin walking out of WWE...)

Last night I watched a match I picked up from PW -Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuhara MisawaCan someone give me a pick of background on the match and is this the sort of thing to expect from NOAH?I loved the match by the way..Oh and something I've been wondering, are there any Best Wrestling Matches ever DVD's around - from traders and the like there must be right?

What was that match on NOAH the other morning that was about 40 mins with cuts??? Had one guy in white trunks and another in black. They did a couple spots of the apron and turnbuckles to the outside. The guy in black does a mulitple chop fest???