The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Will anyone have a go at explaining the mess that went on with the wcw world/international titles? I know when WCW dropped out of the NWA they remamed the Big Gold Belt which can still be seen today the international title, and had alredy created their own WCW world title. But after a point the Big Gold belt was the World title used until the end of WCW, and the belt that had been used as WCW's title disapeared. What happened there? Were they unified? Why did the lesser title get kept?

• Paid Members

Main thing to remember is that physical belts are completely different to the 'championship' (which is merely a concept).* WCW started calling their main championship the WCW World title sometime during Sting's 1990-1991 reign. At this point, by definition, it was a company only title.* The NWA recognised Sting and his successor Flair as NWA champions. However, when Flair quit WCW, they continued to recognise him until it was clear he was going to WWF full-time and couldn't defend the NWA title.* The WCW title went to Luger, Sting, then Vader by mid-1992. The company had to use a new title belt as Flair had kept his old one (having not had his deposit returned.)* At this point the NWA decided to crown a new champion, working with WCW (which was still a member) and New Japan. Masahiro Chono won the tournament, and the belt went to Muta, Windham and Flair.* The WCW title went to Simmons, Vader, Sting and Vader.* In September 1993, WCW left the NWA. A court case ruled that WCW had no rights over the NWA title and could not use the name. They did, however, own the physical belt. WCW then renamed Flair as WCW International Champion. This title went to Rude, Hase, Rude and Sting. Meanwhile the NWA declared their title vacant as Flair was not defending it.* In June 1994 WCW unified their two titles with Flair (now WCW World Champion) beating Sting. They kept the WCW World title but used the former NWA belt as it was more prestigious/historic.* Two months later the NWA crowned a new champion in Shane Douglas (then crowned Chris Candido after Douglas ditched the belt), using the 1970s style NWA belt.

Edited by JNLister

* Two months later the NWA crowned a new champion in Shane Douglas (then crowned Chris Candido after Douglas ditched the belt), using the 1970s style NWA belt.

ECW turning extreme. Can someone explain if this was a 'shoot' or not on the NWA? It seems weird ECW would decide to leave the NWA on that night, after being a member before and hosting the tournament? What did the NWA think about this? This is something which through all that's been written about it, has never been explained...

* Two months later the NWA crowned a new champion in Shane Douglas (then crowned Chris Candido after Douglas ditched the belt), using the 1970s style NWA belt.

ECW turning extreme. Can someone explain if this was a 'shoot' or not on the NWA? It seems weird ECW would decide to leave the NWA on that night, after being a member before and hosting the tournament? What did the NWA think about this? This is something which through all that's been written about it, has never been explained...
Read Turning The Tables. It contains the closest thing you'll get to an explanation of what was a very weird, very convoluted situation. The gist of it is that no-one - perhaps not even those who were actually involved - may ever know exactly how much was real and how much was part of an angle.

Can anyone tell me what the deal with this is?!El Santo unmasks on live TV

It's a chatshow from about 2 or 3 weeks before he died. It was unplanned, unannounced and so on. He just did it. My suspicion is that he knew he was about to die and didn't want to go out with his face never seen by his adoring public.

Guest Josh Jenkins

I've always wondered how Meltzer and co. manage to get inside information on WWE, TNA etc. Surely Vince would stop them from going backstage?Anybody care to shed some light on it?

• Paid Members

I've always wondered how Meltzer and co. manage to get inside information on WWE, TNA etc. Surely Vince would stop them from going backstage?Anybody care to shed some light on it?

Info is usually leaked from office workers and even wrestlers themselves. No sheetwriters would ever be welcome backstage, even though many of the wrestlers read the newsletters they write for and are sometimes friends with them.When Benoit died Brian Alvarez from F4Weekly wrote about Benoit being a subscriber and that they would chat every few months, which amazed me. I always thought Benoit would be an old school guy that would kill a sheetwriter if he saw one in the street.You never know.

There was a great issue of the F4W a couple of years ago where Alvarez went backstage at WWE events when Buddy Wayne was doing jobs for them.When someone (Harvey Wippleman?) asked who he was, Buddy said he was his little brother Barry.