The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Can anyone answer me a question about ring generalship please?I've had this discussion with Freaky quite a few times over the years but in the end we come down to opinion and speculation more than hard fact.How is it "decided" (if it is decided at all) who is the ring general? I've heard that a more senior or technical wrestler will be ring general but also heard that it's usually the heel.So if say Taker was to fight a heel HHH who would be ring general? (ie WM X7)Or say a heel Kurt Angle who was new in 2000 vs a senior but non-technical wrestler, say Big Show? (ie Backlash 2000)Would this rule be changed for say an Iron man match where a lot of different spots/mini stories have to go into a match? Will the duties ever be shared?

Very good question. I remember reading somewhere that Triple H led The Rock through their Iron Man imatch at Judgment Day in 2000. Wasn't this also the crux of the issue between The Hurricane and Rodney Mack in 2003 (I think...which resulted in fisticuffs) where Mack was expecting to call the match due to being a heel but Helms citing more experience stated he was in charge?? It might work on individual basis to basis like 'Taker at Mania 17 and Angle at Backlash 2000 rather than any definitive answer.

On IVPVideos, there is a section named "Toryumon/Dragon Gate", but inside every show is under the Toryumon heading. Does anyone know if any of these are DG shows from the last few years, or are they all Toryumon shows? If they are, I assume the heading's just been named incorrectly.

Thanks.

Edited by GIB

That's not what being a "ring general" means, but I get your point.Under normal circumstances it's the heel that calls the match, on the grounds that he's in control most of the time and only has to feed the babyface his comebacks. If the heel in question is rubbish, or very green, or is maybe not in good shape for one reason or another, the babyface might well take control. In certain cases - say if you were Steve Austin - you wouldn't let anyone else call your match, because you'd be so concerned about protecting your own image. At other times, you might ask a babyface who maybe doesn't have the same stroke you do to call the match, purely out of respect - I suspect the Flair/HHH match would be an example.It's not a totally hard and fast rule, but yeah, 99% of the time it'll be the heel calling the match.

On IVPVideos, there is a section named "Toryumon/Dragon Gate", but inside every show is under the Toryumon heading. Does anyone know if any of these are DG shows from the last few years, or are they all Toryumon shows? If they are, I assume the heading's just been named incorrectly.Thanks.

They're Dragon Gate.

I was watching a match on YouTube yesterday (Val Venis vs Tiger Ali Singh, and it did indeed suck) and after the match the Acolytes came down and proceeded to beat down Tiger and the hapless Babu. They were managed by someone i didnt quite recognise - it may have been Don Callis but i'm not sure. However, i have no recollection of them teaming before the Ministry of Darkness. So, was it Don Callis that was managing them, and, if so, how did they end up leaving him and joining the Ministry?

I was watching a match on YouTube yesterday (Val Venis vs Tiger Ali Singh, and it did indeed suck) and after the match the Acolytes came down and proceeded to beat down Tiger and the hapless Babu. They were managed by someone i didnt quite recognise - it may have been Don Callis but i'm not sure. However, i have no recollection of them teaming before the Ministry of Darkness. So, was it Don Callis that was managing them, and, if so, how did they end up leaving him and joining the Ministry?

They were originally The Jackyl's Acolytes. He was a great manager and they were baddass, it always annoyed me that Callis just got dropped. I can't remember whether he was dropped from their act when they joined the Ministry or before..

Can anyone answer me a question about ring generalship please?I've had this discussion with Freaky quite a few times over the years but in the end we come down to opinion and speculation more than hard fact.How is it "decided" (if it is decided at all) who is the ring general? I've heard that a more senior or technical wrestler will be ring general but also heard that it's usually the heel.So if say Taker was to fight a heel HHH who would be ring general? (ie WM X7)Or say a heel Kurt Angle who was new in 2000 vs a senior but non-technical wrestler, say Big Show? (ie Backlash 2000)Would this rule be changed for say an Iron man match where a lot of different spots/mini stories have to go into a match? Will the duties ever be shared?

There was a funny story on the $&M show about this lately...might have been the Ricky Knight one. It basically amounted to Davey Richards tells Zebra Kid that he'd be running the show during their match at the KOE tournament because he was the four-year veteran. Zebra just kinda laughed at him, as you'd imagine from a Knight family member (who can probably take flat-back bumps in the womb :) )...

They were originally The Jackyl's Acolytes. He was a great manager and they were baddass, it always annoyed me that Callis just got dropped. I can't remember whether he was dropped from their act when they joined the Ministry or before..
Wasn't Callis teamed with the Acolytes as a rib as Layfield and Simmons absolutely despised him??

That's not what being a "ring general" means, but I get your point.Under normal circumstances it's the heel that calls the match, on the grounds that he's in control most of the time and only has to feed the babyface his comebacks. If the heel in question is rubbish, or very green, or is maybe not in good shape for one reason or another, the babyface might well take control. In certain cases - say if you were Steve Austin - you wouldn't let anyone else call your match, because you'd be so concerned about protecting your own image. At other times, you might ask a babyface who maybe doesn't have the same stroke you do to call the match, purely out of respect - I suspect the Flair/HHH match would be an example.It's not a totally hard and fast rule, but yeah, 99% of the time it'll be the heel calling the match.

Without sounding disrespectful (thanks for your response by the way) how do you know this?Most people who have replied to this on other forums are speculating. Are you a worker?Sorry if that sounds rude.

Wasn't Callis teamed with the Acolytes as a rib as Layfield and Simmons absolutely despised him??
I had not heard that, but knowing how much heat Callis had backstage (no-one really ever says why though??) I would not be surprised!!

Without sounding disrespectful (thanks for your response by the way) how do you know this?Most people who have replied to this on other forums are speculating. Are you a worker?Sorry if that sounds rude.
No problem - I'm an arrogant prick. :thumbsup: Um, basically I just pay a lot of attention when people talk. I've worked around the business a little bit and I like to take an interest in the actual construction of matches. I dunno...I may be wrong about it all though, and some real wrestler is gonna come on here and verbally bitchslap me for my ignorance.

No problem - I'm an arrogant prick. :thumbsup: Um, basically I just pay a lot of attention when people talk. I've worked around the business a little bit and I like to take an interest in the actual construction of matches. I dunno...I may be wrong about it all though, and some real wrestler is gonna come on here and verbally bitchslap me for my ignorance.
Cool - cheers.