The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Thank Christ this topic is no longer locked. <thumbs up>What was the tag team "Public Enemy"'s gimmick?Did they ever win the WCW tag-team titles?Thank you brahs.

They were supposed to be street thugs from the mean streets of Philly or something. They started out as tremendous brawlers in ECW's Eastern (as opposed to Extreme) days, and were in demand from both WWF and WCW within a year. As was evidence by their eventual passage to WCW, their success really was down to a lot of smoke and mirrors, because the exciting ECW team looked like a parody of themselves in WCW (and their WWF days were a disaster).IIRC, they had a one-week reign as WCW tag team champions, trading the belts with Harlem Heat in 95/96 on successive editions of Nitro...

Public Enemys gimmick was actually supposed to be a big tongue in cheek. They were announced as being from South Central, Los Angeles, and wore clotes that were supposed to be street clothes, Rocco Rock did some break dancing, their finisher was called the Drive by. Obviously they weren't black guys from the streets of LA, Rocco Rock was in his 40's. But the fans liked it and they became very popular.

"Smoke and mirrors" is a harsh way to describe TPE's success. They were pushed hard based on the fact that they had a unique gimmick, a ton of charisma, great promos and could have great matches in their chosen style. Like, y'know, every successful wrestler ever.

Normal time is a year or so, I believe. Benoit talks about his time at the New Japan dojo on his DVD, and says that for the first six months pretty much all he did was the intense calisthenics work that was a big part of the New Japan way. I believe after that they do hard drills pretty much constantly. Dynamite refers to the instructors hitting guys over the head with a kendo stick every time they made a mistake, thus making sure guys learned to do things right first time pretty quickly. There's also a tough "dues-paying" process - cleaning the dojo, running errands for senior wrestlers, lacing and tying their boots, carrying their bags and so on, as well as standing at ringside watching and learning, as well as getting involved in the odd match, as you'll no doubt have seen on any number of Japanese tapes.

Normal time is a year or so, I believe. Benoit talks about his time at the New Japan dojo on his DVD, and says that for the first six months pretty much all he did was the intense calisthenics work that was a big part of the New Japan way. I believe after that they do hard drills pretty much constantly. Dynamite refers to the instructors hitting guys over the head with a kendo stick every time they made a mistake, thus making sure guys learned to do things right first time pretty quickly. There's also a tough "dues-paying" process - cleaning the dojo, running errands for senior wrestlers, lacing and tying their boots, carrying their bags and so on, as well as standing at ringside watching and learning, as well as getting involved in the odd match, as you'll no doubt have seen on any number of Japanese tapes.

Also, the rookies live at the dojo too, sharing rooms with each other. Their board is free, their food is free - and apart from their chores, all they have to do is train. It's a pretty spartan life, I guess to separate out the weak minded and the people who don't *really* want to make it.I'd love to hear Fergal Devitt talk about it, because he's the first Westerner to be inducted into the full NJPW dojo system since Benoit - and it'd be really interesting to hear how and if things have changed since Benoit's time.

Also, the rookies live at the dojo too, sharing rooms with each other. Their board is free, their food is free - and apart from their chores, all they have to do is train. It's a pretty spartan life, I guess to separate out the weak minded and the people who don't *really* want to make it.I'd love to hear Fergal Devitt talk about it, because he's the first Westerner to be inducted into the full NJPW dojo system since Benoit - and it'd be really interesting to hear how and if things have changed since Benoit's time.
Thanks for the insight Kenny and Stew. I too would like to hear from Fergal Devitt. I'll hunt him down on myspace. EDIT: Fergal on myspace it's quickly become apparent that Fergal is friends with Scott Norton and Matt "Gian Bernard/A Train" Bloom (which can't be a bad thing can it?) Edited by Million$Body

He'd kinda have to be friends with them. What other Westerners are there for him to talk to in NJ dressing rooms right now?

I honestly don't know who's in NJPW right now as I only really follow Noah. I believe that kind Fergal could well be interested in talking to the UKFF via interview form.