The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

Why Cheese Souffle?

No-one
Apparently, they put Cheese Souffle in the title to get pastcopyright laws etc.
i know that, i was wondering why those words were chosen

QUOTEThey called the Rock Bottom a urinage, but can someone confirm whether that is the actual move a urinage is? Isnt the urinage meant to be the spinning version of the Rock Botton. Takeshi Morishima has added the move to his repitoire in the last year, and his version has the spin. Hiroshi Hase also made it famous, did he not? And his version (the original?) had the spinning element, too.I do beleive the urinage does have a about half turn involved in it. Rock and Booker changed it slightly, Rock just did it falling forward, and Booker does it falling to his knees. I remember someone doing a sit out version of it to. I don't know who invented it by I've seen it done like that in older matches and in the 64 wrestling games.

doesn't Matt Hardy to a sit out version?

QUOTEThey called the Rock Bottom a urinage, but can someone confirm whether that is the actual move a urinage is? Isnt the urinage meant to be the spinning version of the Rock Botton. Takeshi Morishima has added the move to his repitoire in the last year, and his version has the spin. Hiroshi Hase also made it famous, did he not? And his version (the original?) had the spinning element, too.I do beleive the urinage does have a about half turn involved in it. Rock and Booker changed it slightly, Rock just did it falling forward, and Booker does it falling to his knees. I remember someone doing a sit out version of it to. I don't know who invented it by I've seen it done like that in older matches and in the 64 wrestling games.

doesn't Matt Hardy to a sit out version?
First wrestlers that came to my mind were Tony Devito and D'Lo Brown. They both do it regularly.

Are there any wrestlers left in WWE who call a match in the ring, as a recent magazine article I read claims that almost all WWE matches are choreographed move-for-move nowadays? Any specifics would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's probably true for TV matches, as things are so heavily scripted and have to be very precisely timed. On the road, guys are being encouraged to call matches on the fly more and more as it teaches them how to adapt, how to listen to the crowd, and how to cope with the unexpected. I remember Randy Orton and someone (Shelton Benjamin?) getting high praise for a completely unscripted match a while back which, for two guys with very little experience, is pretty awesome.
Funnily enough, I'm 90% certain it was Randy Orton and Maven that did the unscripted match. They let Maven go soon after :/
I thought they just though of it themselves backstage, rather than have a road agent tell them. or maybe i read the report wron,g or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong match
From what Ive heard, the road agents put the match together alongside the wrestlers involved (Im guessing the more experience they have, the more they're allowed to suggest & plan themselves), but things often go wrong in the ring. An important spot can mess up, and the wrestlers will have to improvise something new on the fly (or some make the misake of going back to the botched spot), or certain things might get forgotten about in the heat of the match (I honestly dont think I could plan & remember what would basicaly be a tight 15 minutes spot). That said, Im guessing some section of the match are just generaly planned, like say 3-4 minutes of matwork (although I have heard of people who plan down to the wristlocks and hammerlock reversals) and the more experienced wrestlers probably just have the rough structure & story of the match planned, and the rest just comes naturaly.
If I remember correctly, Ricky Steamboat said in his shoot interview that Savage demanded they plan their Wrestlemania match down to the last move, and made a numerical list that they both memorised, starting with 1. Lock up......

Guest gcpainter

has anyone thought of the circus tavern in purfleet as a venue? it holds nearly 3000 people if not it might be worth a butchers?

If I remember correctly, Ricky Steamboat said in his shoot interview that Savage demanded they plan their Wrestlemania match down to the last move, and made a numerical list that they both memorised, starting with 1. Lock up......

Savage did this alot. Supposedly he sat down with the Warrior and basically told the Warrior move-for-move what was going to happen. I wouldn't bet against Wrestlemania 5 being the same way. Also it's been noted Hogan/Warrior was move for move. I've heard Triple H/Batista at WM was planned heavily.I've heard on house shows and suchlike they just arrange the finish. It may need to be a little more planned out for TV shows with the less experienced wrestlers, although I don't think Triple H V Flair on Raw, go out there for 12 minutes needs that much planning.I remember reading an interview with Lance Storm. Was a show in Canada, someone was injuried so he was pushed up the card and was gonna wrestle Eddie. He'd never wrestled with him before, barely knew him, so Eddie just said "I'll go the heel tonight, we'll finish with <whatever>, enjoy it tonight". And with that they went out there.

Ok I've got a bit of free time at the moment, so fancy picking up a new DVD. Does anyone have any feedback on either the Jake Roberts DVD or the Superstars of the 80s packs for me? Any thumbs up/thumbs down comments would be much appreciated.

I've only seen the Roberts one. As you may expect, he tells stories very well and the stories themselves are very interesting. The documentary part seems longer than most. Alot of it reveals stories about his family, and how he battled with his problems. By far and away the best WWE documentary I've seen.As for the matches you'll know what to expect. Massive thumbs up for the documentary, mild thumbs down for the matches. Don't let that put you off tho - something like Jake's DVD should really be based on his history and storytelling. I would have liked to have seen his time in Mexico in '94 documentated, but there's no stories/matches about it.

I've only seen the Roberts one. As you may expect, he tells stories very well and the stories themselves are very interesting. The documentary part seems longer than most. Alot of it reveals stories about his family, and how he battled with his problems. By far and away the best WWE documentary I've seen.As for the matches you'll know what to expect. Massive thumbs up for the documentary, mild thumbs down for the matches. Don't let that put you off tho - something like Jake's DVD should really be based on his history and storytelling. I would have liked to have seen his time in Mexico in '94 documentated, but there's no stories/matches about it.

Cheers for that. As I am getting older I seem to be more interested in these documentary style features, rather than the matches themselves, so this sounds ideal. I will try and pick it up tomorrow. Thanks again.

• Paid Members

Cheers for that. As I am getting older I seem to be more interested in these documentary style features, rather than the matches themselves, so this sounds ideal. I will try and pick it up tomorrow. Thanks again.
I know what you mean, I was very disappointed when I saw that the new Undertaker DVD was just a bunch of matches.

• Paid Members

The Superstars of the 80s one is pretty decent. It's about a 10-15 minute profile of each of the 15 wrestlers. You then get one match and one promo/angle/skit for each one, plus a few Easter Eggs.Of the matches:NWA United Staes Championship Dog Collar MatchStarrcade - 24/11/83Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper - Dog Collar Match, Starrcade 1983 Very bloody and famous match, well worth seeing.Madison Square Garden - 21/05/84Sgt. Slaugter vs. Iron SheikThe set-up to a more famous Boot Camp match, but very good - this is the first time it's been widely available on DVD.WWE Intercontinental Championship Lumberjack MatchMadison Square Garden - 17/03/85Greg Valentine vs. Tito SantanaNothing special.Wrestling Classic - 07/11/85Junk Yard Dog vs. Randy SavagePretty poor match.Weasel Suit MatchMadison Square Garden - 25/06/88Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby HeenanPretty funny stuff, purely for Heenan.NWA World Heavyweight Championship 1 Million Dollar Challenge MatchStarrcade - 22/11/84Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric FlairWorth having for collecting purposes.NWA National Tag Team Championship MatchStarrcade - 28/11/85Ole & Arn Anderson vs. Wahoo McDaniel & Billy Jack HaynesOdd choice and nothing special - the Rock 'n' Rolls match from a year later is much better but is on the cage match set.Championship Unification MatchAWA SuperClash III - 13/12/88Jerry "The King" Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich Not great as a match, but a very good example of a carryjob. Von Erich is so out of it, he has actually bladed his arm by mistake before the match, which Lawler works into the bout.NWA World Heavyweight Championship MatchChi-Town Rumble - 20/02/89Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric FlairMust-have. Completes the 1989 trilogy if you have this and the Flair set. This match was a bonus on a HHH DVD, but is otherwise unavailable.Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling - 03/02/82Ric Flair vs. Jay YoungbloodNice rarity, but nothing spectacular.WWE Championship Steel Cage MatchMadison Square Garden - 19/05/80Jimmy Snuka vs. Bob BacklundFamous as the match where Snuka misses the dive. Not that great.WWE Championship MatchMadison Square Garden - 26/12/83Iron Sheik vs. Bob BacklundDecent enough, and historic.Madison Square Garden - 23/01/84Paul Orndorff vs. Salvatore BellamoBizarre. Extremely long squash and no real explanation why it is here.WWE Championship MatchMadison Square Garden - 23/01/84Iron Sheik vs. Hulk HoganIt's been shown a thousand times, though this is currently the only DVD version still available on general sale.Madison Square Garden - 18/02/85Bob Orton v Jimmy SnukaOK stuff - nice historical one as it sets off the injury that gave Orton the cast.The War to Settle the ScoreMadison Square Garden - 18/02/85Roddy Piper vs. Hulk HoganShort, unspectacular bout. Good historical bout, though the full MTV show is available on the bootleg scene and gives it a better context.Overall, it's a nice one to dip in and out of over a few months, but there are only really a couple of matches (Flair-Steamboat, Valentine-Piper) which would be must-owns on DVD.

As far as anyone can tell, Jericho has no plans to return to wrestling. He's working on a book, trying to get film parts (he's had at least one so far), and has been doing improvisational comedy in theatres. That's as well as being in a moderately successful rock band and hosting a weekly (daily?) national radio show.