New Japan & ZERO-One 4.1 discussion thread

Terje Rindal

From SSS, obviously:NJPW "WRESTLING WORLD 2004", 1/4/04 (WPW/NJ+IWTV Internet)Tokyo Dome1. Hirooki Goto beat Naofumi Yamamoto (6:21) with a crab hold.2. Katsushi Takemura beat El Samurai (6:53) with a moonsault press.3. Makai #1, Mitsuya Nagai, Ryushi Yanagisawa & Ryota Chikuzen beat Enson Inoue, Hiro Saito, Tatsutoshi Goto & Michiyoshi Ohara (11:55) when Nagai used the Hyper Knee Tiger on Goto.4. Shinya Makabe & Toru Yano beat Blue Wolf & Wataru Inoue (10:18) when Makabe used a German suplex hold on Inoue.5. Masayuki Naruse beat Tadao Yasuda (2:09) by DQ.5a. Masayuki Naruse beat Tadao Yasuda (0:30) by referee stop.6. Ryusuke Taguchi beat Akiya Anzawa (4:53) with a dropkick.7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Jado & Gedo © beat Heat & Tiger Mask (17:15) when Gedo used a Superfly splash on Heat (1st defense).8. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Jushin Thunder Liger beat Takashi Sugiura © (17:52) with an avalanche-style brainbuster to become the 8th champion.9. U-30 Openweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © beat Yutaka Yoshie (17:06) with a Dragon suplex hold (6th defense).10. Josh Barnett & Takashi Iizuka beat Kazunari Murakami & Katsuyori Shibata (16:04) when Barnett used a Captured buster on Murakami.Never looked like that great a card on paper, but Liger winning the GHC belt is awesome stuff. Junior matches at the Dome tends to be way below par, but it's definitely a must-see match. Gedo & Jado retaining has to be considered somewhat of a surprise as well. Never a fan of Yoshie or Tanahashi, but Yoshie looked tremendous in his G1 matches with Nagata and Takayama, and Tanahashi had his best match yet with Akiyama, so I kinda want to see t his one as well.Remaining matches:11. Osamu Nishimura vs. Minoru Suzuki 12. Manabu Nakanishi vs. Genichiro Tenryu13. Yuji Nagata vs. Kensuke Sasaki14. Masahiro Chono Return Match: Masahiro Chono & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Keiji Muto & Bob Sapp 15. Unification Match - IWGP Heavyweight Title & NWF Heavyweight Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Yoshihiro Takayama ©Matches 11, 13 & 15 should be very good. The Tenryu & Muto matches will probably be very heated, but I don't think they'll be any good wrestling wise. Tenryu-Nakanishi might surprise though. No results from Hustle-1 yet, but here's the card:DSE/ZERO-ONE "HUSTLE-1", 1/4/04Saitama Super Arena1. Four Way Dance: Low Ki beat MIKAMI , Jun Kasai & King Adamo2. Zebra Man vs. Ikuto Hidaka3. Satoshi Kojima & Kaz Hayashi vs. El Solar & Dos Caras Jr.4. Shinjiro Otani & Masato Tanaka vs. The Predator & Kevin Randleman5. Giant Silva vs. X6. Shinya Hashimoto vs. Vader7. Mil Mascaras, Dos Caras & Sicodelico Jr. vs. Tom Howard, Steve Corino & Dusty Rhodes8. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mark Coleman9. Naoya Ogawa vs. Bill Goldberg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11. Osamu Nishimura beat Minoru Suzuki (9:39) with a backslide.A bit too short for a Nishimura match, but I'm looking forward to this.1. Four Way Dance: Low Ki beat MIKAMI , Jun Kasai & King Adamo (7:03) with the Ki Crusher on Kasai.2. Zebra Man beat Ikuto Hidaka (??:??) with the Z bomb.3. Satoshi Kojima & Kaz Hayashi beat El Solar & Dos Caras Jr. (??:??) when Kojima used a lariat on Solar.

12. Manabu Nakanishi beat Genichiro Tenryu (10:20) with a Fisherman suplex hold.Meh. Nagata is next~4. The Predator & Kevin Randleman beat Shinjiro Otani & Masato Tanaka (??:??) when Predator pinned Tanaka.5. Handicap Match: Giant Silva vs. Kohei Sato & Katsuhisa FujiiSo Otani & Tanaka loses, and X turned out to be two guys. Nice one :bored:

Everything is going great so far except for the Gedo and Jado retain, looks like there staying now. HUGE surprise for Nakanishi beating Tenryu in 10 minutes, he'ssporting new Chono style tights and it looks as if the Wild Beast is back. Can't wait to see.I got Sasaki, Mutoh/Sapp and can't decide the final one. But I'll go Nakamura.What's your predications Terje?

5. Handicap Match: Giant Silva beat Kohei Sato & Katsuhisa Fujii (??:??) with a one foot pinfall on Sato.

I got Sasaki, Mutoh/Sapp and can't decide the final one. But I'll go Nakamura.What's your predications Terje?

Well, Sasaki definitely. I just can't see him losing his return bout.The tag is very open, practically impossible to predict.And Nakamura to retain :)

6. Shinya Hashimoto beat Vader (??:??) by countout.7. Mil Mascaras, Dos Caras & Sicodelico Jr. beat Tom Howard, Steve Corino & Dusty Rhodes (??:??) when Mascaras pinned Corino.Hashimoto-Vader was fairly short I heared. Should be interesting though. Bet Corino is happy doing the job here :laugh:

15. Unification Match - IWGP Heavyweight Title & NWF Heavyweight Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © beat Yoshihiro Takayama © (13:55) with a chickenwing armlock (1st defense) to become the 18th NWF Heavyweight Champion.Thank god! Nakamura is the new ace!

8. Toshiaki Kawada beat Mark Coleman (??:??) with a heel hold.Thank God Kawada won this. I still haven't seen most his singles matches from last year, but he was involved in some awesome tags. Still one of the best. And Nakamura won! That guy has some real potential in him. Only Goldberg-Ogawa left~

Guest Nigel Law

Going into both shows I had a greater interest in Hustle-1 than I did in 'Wrestling World', but after reading both sets of results I would probably have to say that NJPW seem to have come out strongest. The show was really smartly booked from top-to-bottom and they appear to have a clear direction of where they want to go this year. This is something that is highlighted with Nakamura going over relatively quickly, as hopefully now they will focus around him as the lynchpin of the promotion.Liger going over should lead to some mouthwatering title defences both in NJPW and NOAH, so again this was the right move to make, as it creates a whole plethora of potential future inter-promotional clashes. From what I hear Nagata/Sasaki was an absolute bloodbath and the result surprised me a little, although my thinking is that they wanted Nagata to go over strong to try and erase any lasting 12/31 memories. Not that his lost to Fedor really hurts him, because the damage was done by Cro Cop and he isn't a draw, but will always be remembered as a consistent, dependable worker.Sapp pinning Tenzan was predictable stuff, particularly after yesterday's press conference where Tenz. challenged Tyson to a fight should he pin Sapp. I guess this was done to try and boost heat on the match but the result was never really in doubt. The outcome takes us one step closer to Sapp vs Tyson. For better or for worse.Thoughts?

• Paid Members

Well, Hustle-1 always looked like a piece of shite, and it looks like it delivered in that respect. No real interest in that show.I will get the New Japan show, though. If only because Tenryu is on it.

When you say "looked like a piece of shite", do you actually mean "offered something different to the staid, dull fayre that modern puro has become, with little room for anything fun or different"I thought so.Fucking puro purists.