New Japan & ZERO-One 4.1 discussion thread

Terje Rindal

Kensuke Sasaki. The show was absolutely dead in my opinion until he showed up. Man got booed out of the building. Why?When Tenzan was on offense, everytime he threw a punch the crowd shushed him. Why? He would hit and they would go SHHHHHHHHHHH

"Some Guy" evidently knows nothing about NJPW.These two points, for example...Sasaki walked out on NJPW a year ago to form WJ. The fans don't forget treachery like that.The fans always hiss for Tenzan's Mongolian Chops - and in anticipation of them. Dunno the origin, but it's a long-standing tradition.Also, "Some Guy" has never seen Gedo & Jado before.Yes, what a useful report. :rolleyes: Oh, and Moj... that picture is of Naofumi Yamamoto v Hirooki Goto - the first of the five dark matches which commenced at 1:30pm - a full hour and a half before the real show started at 3:00pm - so it means nothing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad to see Tenzan reduced to jobber once more. The way New Japan have treated him is nothing short of disgraceful. His build up to become the new ace was good and then they totally grabbed the ball away from him before he had a chance to run with it. As compensation, they give him a totally meaningless tag team run, and now they make him job in another high profile match. When will Chono do the fucking job himself?

Seriously what you smoking, I want some.Chono jobbed at ALL 3 Tokyo Dome shows last year, one to Tenzan, Kobashi and Hogan. He is NJ's most popular draw so jobbing is wrong anyway. Tenzan did a grandslam last year but he's being mistreated. NJ decided to go with Nakamura and take a risk, a risk that look like it's gonna pay off and NJ was so nice how they jobbed Tenzan as they made the match look like a complete fluke keeping Tenzan strong. So cut the bullshit.Besides that it looks like a terrfic show, my man Nakanishi got an important win and looks set for a revival. Nagata/Sasaki will probably be the MOTN. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Kensuke Sasaki. The show was absolutely dead in my opinion until he showed up. Man got booed out of the building. Why?When Tenzan was on offense, everytime he threw a punch the crowd shushed him. Why? He would hit and they would go SHHHHHHHHHHH

"Some Guy" evidently knows nothing about NJPW.These two points, for example...Sasaki walked out on NJPW a year ago to form WJ. The fans don't forget treachery like that.The fans always hiss for Tenzan's Mongolian Chops - and in anticipation of them. Dunno the origin, but it's a long-standing tradition.Also, "Some Guy" has never seen Gedo & Jado before.Yes, what a useful report. :rolleyes:
LOL! I didn’t say the guy was any kind of expert on New Japan. Being the first live report to emerge from the show, I thought it was interesting perspective and slightly contradicted some of Stu Max’s second hand notes.

Guest derelict

moj you are the most bias guy about wrestling ive ever seen and that includes the man you cant shut your trap aboutshow sounds awesome to me and ill be getting the tape as soon as i can (any1 getting it in pal soon?). im so happy nakamura won because hes fast become my fav wrestler. nagata vs sasaki sounds and looks awessome too.paralyzer: thanx for the pix, got any more?

Report of Nakamura vs. Takayama from Stu himself:

Just watched Nakamura vs. Takayama on IWTV. Very good match, similar to their Budokan match last June. It started equally, with Nakamura showing his stuff on the mat. The turning point came when Takayama started attacking Nakamura's broken nose. Ouch. It resembled Takayama vs. Koshinaka from the 2002 G1, only Takayama wasn't taking the punishment here. Takayama worked REALLY stiff with Nakamura, throwing some full force knees, punches, and kicks to the face. Crowd was kind of quiet (although maybe Steve can tell us more, as it's often hard to hear the Dome on TV unless the majority of it is cheering), but some support evident for Shinsuke. The support really picked up later on when Nakamura began showing his fighting spirit. There was a cool scene where Nakamura did the same counter he beat Tenzan with, which got a lot of heat, but didn't finish off Takayama. Takayama kept kicking him in the face during one scene, but Nakamura kept screaming out, remniscent of Chono vs. Takayama from the 2002 G1 final. Takayama landed his running knee kick for 2.5, landed another knee shot, then hit the German for 2... Nakamura turning over and countering. Takayama screamed, then tapped out. There was a HUGE pop, then a hush, as people couldn't believe it (IWTV went off at this point). Really good, as I said, similar theme to Nakamura vs. Tenzan (slightly less one-sided), but a better match. Would have come off better in a building where you can hear the heat more, like Sumo Hall, but heat wasn't too bad. It was weird for a Tokyo Dome main event, not really a "main event", but I think the dream tag match was the "real" main event, and this was on top because of the titles on the line. Right now, Nakamura is an underdog champion who comes across as a genius who picks the right moment to get the win. I think this is a lot more convincing than him suddenly becoming invincible. However, they will need to figure out a way for Nakamura to gradually become "stronger". I think the perfect way would be to pair him above someone notable who he can be even with in terms of offense, then defeat. Then after that, it'd be easier to believe him as having equal offense to someone higher up. Having said that, the "get beat up and come back" persona might work out, because Inoki, Sasuke, Onita, and others have pulled it off with success, and Nakamura has good ring presence. It'll work better when Nakamura is a little more credible overall though. Can't wait to see where the title reign heads, we should find out his February title defense (if any) in a day or two.

Apparently Nakamura is now a genius and mixture of Antonio Inoki & Atsushi Onita ;) Apart from Stu laying it on a bit thick, I agree with his comments on how they're handling Nakamura's reign so far.

Guest LizardKing

Chono jobbed at ALL 3 Tokyo Dome shows last year, one to Tenzan, Kobashi and Hogan. He is NJ's most popular draw so jobbing is wrong anyway. Tenzan did a grandslam last year but he's being mistreated. NJ decided to go with Nakamura and take a risk, a risk that look like it's gonna pay off and NJ was so nice how they jobbed Tenzan as they made the match look like a complete fluke keeping Tenzan strong.

First off, two of Chono's "jobs" were in so-called dream matches with arguably better draws that he. His jobbing to them was necessary in order to get the names involved in the cards. But also, his jobs in these two occasions were nigh on worthless - except making him look weaker than Kobashi (which I can accept) and Hogan (which wasn't very smart). His job for Tenzan happened in a tag match this time last year, and was supposed to be the start of Tenzan's long forgotten push to be ace of the company. Except...no, that didn't quite happen straight away. They left it to the G1 to put Tenzan over, and when they did, they took the belt right away from him. Tenzan's G1 win was great, (yet it was supposed happen last year but someone else - who really needed it - won it). But hey, he got the IWGP Title this year, so that must be good, yeah? Well, no. He couldn't make a V1 defense of the title, and no matter how much they put it over being "fluke Nakamura win", it will still look like they never had the confidence to give Tenzan his long deserved, long promised run as the new ace of the company. You can say that Tenzan was kept strong, but to others it looks perfectly clear that he will never get a chance as a top singles competitor in a New Japan ring. At the end of the day, when the company decides that it would rather have a rookie with just over a years experience as a champion instead of you, it says a lot.But back to Chono and his fear of jobbing. It doesn't take a fucking genius to figure Chono is New Japan's most popular wrestler, neither does it take said genius to realise that Chono is near crippled and his days as a serious top card wrestler are numbered. But to say he is popular so therefore he shouldn't draw is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Hey Chono, you're one of the most popular wrestlers ever, so don't you dare think about putting over anyone. I'm not saying Chono should have jobbed in the tag match, but Tenzan will be around longer than Chono. Whether anyone would ever buy him as a top draw now, I'd severely doubt.

So cut the bullshit.

Coming from someone who thinks jobbing is wrong if you're popular? No thanks. ;) "Hey Liger, don't you dare think about putting over any NOAH juniors this year - you're too popular." :D

Coming from someone who thinks jobbing is wrong if you're popular? No thanks. ;) "Hey Liger, don't you dare think about putting over any NOAH juniors this year - you're too popular." :D

I never meant it like that so stop taking one thing and making it another and getting completely off the point. Your so keen that Tenzan should be pushed to the roof I bet you weren't saying that when he won the title but of course you always have to moan about something.Your asking when Chono will do the job himself? Look at past results and you'll see how many big profile matches he lost this year so stop making something seem like it isn't. You said Tenzan has now been reduced to a jobber? That's complete crap, he's been pinned 2 times since the G1 Climax so he's a jobber.Your talking about Chono being crippled, that's a little extreme too he's just started his comeback and obviously will push himself which makes sense as he is a draw and having him job to someone who he doesn't need to and wouldn't help him if he's to job to maybe Nakamura later on the year? Keep Chono strong which means when he does lose to someone it'll make them look even stronger instead of what you would do and job him to everyone because he's old and have Tenzan win every match because he's mistreated and deserves the title.

moj you are the most bias guy about wrestling ive ever seen and that includes the man you cant shut your trap about

You need to stop attacking me, at least until you learn how to type properly and use capital letters. And some knowledge of what you're on about might be good, too. Also, you should go and fuck yourself. Yes.

Really?You see... I went to see a rugby match yesterday. It was just like football except the players kept kicking the ball OVER the crossbar instead of scoring. Why?Also, they kept handling the oddly shaped ball, yet the referee never blew a foul. Why?Is my first-person report of that rugby match more credible than a report on a rugby fansite, even though the owner of the fansite wasn't there in person?

You've twisted it now.OK, say the rugby match was between Gwent and Ulster. For example. And that the guy at the rugby fansite was a rabid Ulster fan. Also assume that the rugby fansite is known for twisting everything in order to make Ulster seem a lot better than they are, to the extent of publishing incorrect results for matches. In addition, Ulster had lost their last game, but this site bloke had refused to accept it, firstly making the score seem closer, and then publishing the correct score, but with a strikeout through it.Meanwhile on the day, the casual rugby fan has little knowledge of the game, but reports honestly on what he does see, players dropping balls, tries that were good, and so on and so forth.I'll take the casual report any day, thank you very much, until I can see the game for myself. Unless I have no interest in seeing the game, that is.(disclaimer: I'm actually interested in the show for Takemura/Samurai, Inoue-Wolf/Makabe-Yano, Liger/Suguira, Tanahashi/Yoshie (if you're going to pick a midcarder to give the strap to, Tanahashi should be the one.. oh wait, he was penalised by NJ for being stabbed wasn't he), Nakanishi/Tenryu and Nagata's match just for the reaction (prediction: silence) )

You've twisted it now.

Yes. Ain't I a stinker? ;)

(disclaimer:  I'm actually interested in the show for Takemura/Samurai, Inoue-Wolf/Makabe-Yano, Liger/Suguira, Tanahashi/Yoshie (if you're going to pick a midcarder to give the strap to, Tanahashi should be the one.. oh wait, he was penalised by NJ for being stabbed wasn't he), Nakanishi/Tenryu and Nagata's match just for the reaction (prediction: silence) )

The first two of those were dark matches, unfortunately.You should get this though, with it being NJPW's Starting Point Revolution and all. You'll probably like it.Oh, and the strikeout turned out to be justified, as the match has officially been declared a no contest due to premature referee stoppage.$tew