Regal returning?

Rob Lowe

Maybe it just appeals to them and no matter what other people think they think he's great. To them his matches are great because they like what he does - pretty much like me and liking 2003 Hogan more than I do 2003 Angle - it's all about what connects with you as an individual and what your personal preferences are.I too like Regal, and though his matches may not get lots of snowflakes that's of little importance to me - I like his facial expressions and his forearm shots and I like it when he calls people W*nkers on a a US show and they have no idea what he's saying. It's the little things as Si said. He offers something different and no matter what the mass say, I rate his matches highly and will continue to do so until the day I no longer enjoy them.There are already 100 wrestlers on the WWE roster wrestling the WWE way - they should adapt to him to give something a little different but until they do its always fun to Regal playing carny with the likes of RVD.

Edited by Lower Occipital Proturbance

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regal just seems to work to entertain himself, and forgets that his job is to entertain the fans.

Hey, it's a good job the Bushwackers were better workers than Ricky Steamboat, or your argument would be rendered pointless.The problem is, that Regal does try to fit in with the WWE style of working. It's just that their style of 'working' is so unbelievably tosh. Of all the great workers in WWE, I've found the quality of their matches to be significantly lower than when they wrestled elsewhere, in a different style.Benoit, Eddy, Ultimo, Jericho, Rey, Regal. They were all far better workers before they had to dumb down their style. Regal has been the most affected by it, because his unique, British mat-wrestling style is what made him so great. I'm sure he could have a perfect 20-minute by-the-numbers Kurt Angle match, but those matches only work if the 2 wrestlers are over. Because there's no depth in those type of bouts, the people only care because they either love or hate the characters, so they pop for all the big moves and near-falls. If Regal was built up for months as being something important, and was given a character that could get over strongly, then he could quite easily have a 'great' WWE-stlye match. The only difference being that he'd add some colour to the match with his facials, selling, punches, forearms and matwork.

Guest CJ Brown

I quite like Regal myself, i cant wait for his book. Although i really didnt enjoy his matches with Lance Storm when they were tag champs, but looking at the Raw division now maybe i was a bit hasty.

• Paid Members

I'd rather watch him do what he's good at, and he does it very well.

Care to name any in-ring examples since his Benoit match?
I mentioned it in my other threads, almost every Regal match I've seen, it's the little things that Regal does that makes his performances so good, his character, his facial expressions, the forearm to the face, the way he punches. Like Fadda said, you don't need great matches to be a great wrestler.Quite simply Mo, I get Regals work, you don't. That's not a knock on you but he's got some aspects that makes him stand-out to me whcih don't appeal to you.
I do get Regal's matches=cop out. ;) Either that, or you think all of Regal's matches are good. It's all well doing the 'little things' that I'm apparently blind to, but the whole purpose of working matches is to stage entertaining bouts. Regal just seems to work to entertain himself, and forgets that his job is to entertain the fans.
Yes I do think that all Regal's matches are good, and when you get someone who works well with Regal then his matches are great. His matches are entertaining bouts, if they weren't then I wouldn't be entertained by them. And I do think he entertains the fans too.

Yeah, but some people 'get' M-Dogg 20 and Albert.

Yes, I get Albert, I like him too. M-Dogg 20, no I don't get him, perhaps I'm a spot-fan in my own way where each one of Regal's mannerism and traits is a spot and I see it in the same way as a big M-Dogg 20 move.

To 'get' someone is a very weak argument.

Not at all, especially when I've said why I 'get' the subject in question. And in Regal's case I think it's a very apt argument as the divide has shown in this thread

I think it is fair to say his in-ring WWE performances have been rubbish. He worked fantastically as the commissioner, I loved all his stuff, especially when Tajiri was his Butler (a brilliant feud that never was :( ).WM17 is a perfect example. His opener Vs Jericho was pretty much the worst match on the card, he's way off-pace for the style of the WWE and it just doesn't look good. Then later on in that show he does quite possibly the greatest backstage skit I've ever seen with Kamala~.All that aside, I'm glad to hear he's recovering and it would be great to have him back on TV in a non-wrestling role.

i disagree on the part about Regals match with Jericho at Mania 17 bein rubbish, i decided to watch that match again and i thought it was good right up until he didnt move to set up the lionsault an jericho had to suplex him to get in the right place, both his mania matches have been good curtain raisers in my opinion. Then again he totally messed up with his match against Raven at Invasion but its not like that was a gr8 card anyway (except for RVD vs Jeff Hardy maybe)He may not be gr8 all of the time but hes certainly not rubbish as has his match with Benoit at the Pillman Memorial and the 2 Mania bouts have shown, that an his superb mike work has shown, give the guy a chance after all hes been through...

Guest schumacher

Some good to great Regal matches from the WWE in my opinion, whether the Regal haters agree or not.William Regal vs Naked Mideon - No Mercy '00I'm not sure on the dates on the following matches as I taped thm on the back of Shawn Michaels comp but I think early '01.Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle & Steve Regal (Smackdown)Chris Beniot vs. Steve Regal (RAW)Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs. Kurt Angle & Steve Regal (RAW)Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs. Kurt Angle & Steve Regal (Smackdown) William Regal vs. The Rock - RAW 12/11/01William Regal vs. Steve Austin "Strap Match" Smackdown - 29/11/01William Regal vs. Tajiri - Survivor Series '01Goldust vs William Regal "Showgirl Match" - RAW RouletteLance Storm & William Regal vs. Dudley Boyz - Royal Rumble '03Booker T & Goldust vs. William Regal & Lance Storm - Raw 03/02/03Regal vs. Kane (RAW) - A great brawl, not sure of the date but from the Un-American's period.

Edited by schumacher

Somebody just leant me a tape of some 1993 episodes of Worldwide..On several of them, Regal is on commentary alongside the late Gordon Solie. I had forgotten about this, but some of it is absolutely hilarious..<Todd Champion enters the ring, clapping moronically> Regal "Another seal - for goodness' sake, somebody throw him a fish..."..Regal had a good cage match with Jericho on Raw a few years back.

I’m definitely with Mo on this one. It’s not a case of Regal of being “different”; it’s all down to the fact that Regal is both physically and mentally incapable of modifying his style in any way at all…Which is in stark contrast to his work in WCW where he would modify his style to fit his a wide variety of opponents…Whether he be up against a similar style worker in Larry Zybsko or a Jap-Lucha style worker in Ultimo Dragon.Regal is now nothing more than a stubborn washed up wreck of a wrestler…The entire notion that he’s some sort of anti-establishment super worker is hilarious.

• Admin

I think it is fair to say his in-ring WWE performances have been rubbish. He worked fantastically as the commissioner, I loved all his stuff, especially when Tajiri was his Butler (a brilliant feud that never was :( ).WM17 is a perfect example. His opener Vs Jericho was pretty much the worst match on the card, he's way off-pace for the style of the WWE and it just doesn't look good. Then later on in that show he does quite possibly the greatest backstage skit I've ever seen with Kamala~.All that aside, I'm glad to hear he's recovering and it would be great to have him back on TV in a non-wrestling role.

i disagree on the part about Regals match with Jericho at Mania 17 bein rubbish, i decided to watch that match again and i thought it was good right up until he didnt move to set up the lionsault an jericho had to suplex him to get in the right place, both his mania matches have been good curtain raisers in my opinion. Then again he totally messed up with his match against Raven at Invasion but its not like that was a gr8 card anyway (except for RVD vs Jeff Hardy maybe)He may not be gr8 all of the time but hes certainly not rubbish as has his match with Benoit at the Pillman Memorial and the 2 Mania bouts have shown, that an his superb mike work has shown, give the guy a chance after all hes been through...
I don't recall his other 'Mania bout but the one at 17 stuck out like a sore thumb on an otherwise fantastic card. That's my opinion of course, and I was talking about his matches in the WWE so his Pillman memorial match doesn't count. Obviously he's had fantastic matches elsewhere but I can't recall a single match that made me thought he was worthy of a spot on a WWE card, however there were plenty more on the roster in that situation.

• Paid Members

Obviously he's had fantastic matches elsewhere but I can't recall a single match that made me thought he was worthy of a spot on a WWE card...

That's because there aren't any. A good thing for him, therefore, that he's good buddies with Triple H and Steve Austin. If he wasn't, he'd be touring the Town Halls for Dixon as we speak.

Some people appreciate Regal. Others are happy to endure a monopoly promotion in the US that churns out and will continue to churn out identical muscleboys who all have the 'WWE look' but don't know the meaning of charisma or subtleties in the ring. It's all suplexes and finishers from now on. This exact same debate has gone on for years.Keep the Cenas, O'Haires, Jindraks, Ortons, Edges, Angles and Batistas of this world, and I hope you enjoy them (or get used to them - many more carbon copies to come). I'd rather watch Regal. You've got a promotion that is gradually converging to all the wrestlers looking and wrestling exactly the same way. At least Regal offers something different, a dying craft, from the same bland factory-produced homogeneity.

• Paid Members

At least Regal offers something different, a dying craft, from the same bland factory-produced homogeneity.

Here's the thing, though. Regal may offer something different, but what he offers can't touch the work of those he tries to emulate. End result: 'different' but utterly awful wrestling.Just take Fit Finlay from WCW in 1998 as an example. He was able to practice this craft and exhibit those subtleties whilst meshing with different styles and producing many good matches. William Regal, the last three years, has failed abysmally at this. In my opinion of course.

Regal, the last three years, has failed abysmally at this. In my opinion of course.

Ofcourse. I would say the same thing about most of the McWrestlers and indy clones these days, but we all appreciate different things when it comes to wrestling. Regal does his thing - you either love it or you hate it. After the same debate has popped up so mnay times over the years, I don't think any amount of argument is going to make either side see differently. I'm sure some fans today may look back at someone like Jake Roberts and they'll dismiss him because he has no 'workrate', no 'moveset', he didn't take many big bumps, and he's hardly got a classic catalogue of '****+ matches'. They could roll off 20 MOTYCs for an indy wrestler, but try naming 20 classics that Jake had. Plus he kinda looked like a bum. But others (including myself) believe he's maybe the greatest wrestler ever. Same with Regal - all the shit he gets from people criticising him is the stuff I like about him. I don't consider adaptability (in a promotion which places little value on wrestling or variety of styles) the measure of a good worker. Could Santo 'adapt' to the WWE style? Fuck no, but he still rules. Is Regal 'pathetically selfish'? I don't think he gives a shit as long as the $$$ keeps coming in.