Regal returning?

Rob Lowe

• Paid Members

I find Regal performances today rather frustrating, although the subtleties you point out are rather nice to watch....***glances at third picture in sig***

They are frustrating but I can put up with that, why they never had him in matches where they could be brutal and stiff against the likes of Guerrero, Benoit, Al Snow, Dustin Rhodes I'll never know. But I try not to get worked up about it

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love Regals inring style it just a shame not many people on the wwe roster can work taht style. on the mic he's one of the best.

That's the PROBLEM. All of WWE wrestlers working a similar style with no one able to adapt to different styles.WWE wrestlers work the WWE style of wrestling. It is a shame when you in recent years have watched WWE PPVs and you notice that the best worker is STILL Ric Flair. Regal is a great worker but his style makes no sense in short 2 minute matches. Depending on what style of wrestling you like, a few year sago when Regal wrestled RVD on Wrestlemania, I though that was the best match of the show.I really hope Regal is back in the ring and on the microphone soon!

I'll never forget him calling the Rock 'Sunshine' then USA fans actually took signs to the next RAW with 'Listen Sunshine' written on them. Yes, Tajri as his 'House boy' was excellence. WWE needs this man back, maybe as a co Gm with the new Smackdown GM.

Some proper wrestling is exactly what Raw needs!The problem is not Regal's style but the fact that most WWE stars just move from one spot to the next so actual wrestling has gone out of the equation, hence Regal struggles as he works on just wearing his opponent down not spots or high impact moves ... which tends to bore the fans who have the attention span of a ameoba.Regal is great on the mic although I still think Foley was more amusing during his time as commissioner but then he had Edge and Christian to help him while Regal had to carry the ball himself.Regal vs RVD at Wrestlemania was a great match and I think totally disproves the theory that Regal can't adapt.He should be brought in as a manager, maybe he could play a sort of Kevin Sullivan character from WCW, bringing in wave after wave of monster heels to throw at Goldberg to try and get the $100,000.If Regal does have to retire I hope they bring back Dean Malenko to face him in his final match. It's sure to be a cracker and would allow us to give Malenko a proper send-off as well as he just kind of disappeared.OK, sunshine? :laugh:

Edited by Oxen

Regal's in ring work has never bothered me to be honest, sometimes I have enjoyed it while other times I haven't. However I have always liked his mic work and I would love to see him back in a non wrestling role too. As well as the Tajiri and Kamala stuff I really liked his backstage skits with Y2J a few years ago.Regal for Smackdown GM!

• Paid Members

All of WWE wrestlers working a similar style with no one able to adapt to different styles.

Sure, the WWE workers are expected to work a particular style (it should be noted that there's been a significant move towards a slower and more methodical style this year). However, isn't a great worker one who can adapt to different styles?Regal stubbornly sticks to one style. This leads to nearly every Regal match sucking massively, and invariably summed up as 'a styles clash'.Some may find that admirable. I personally find that pathetically selfish.

• Paid Members

All of WWE wrestlers working a similar style with no one able to adapt to different styles.

Sure, the WWE workers are expected to work a particular style (it should be noted that there's been a significant move towards a slower and more methodical style this year). However, isn't a great worker one who can adapt to different styles?Regal stubbornly sticks to one style. This leads to nearly every Regal match sucking massively, and invariably summed up as 'a styles clash'.Some may find that admirable. I personally find that pathetically selfish.
In that case then yes Regal fails spectacularly, if he has to be selfish to work the way he does then I'm more than happy for him to be like that rather than to try and wrestle a style not suited to him that he won't like and probably won't be good at. I'd rather watch him do what he's good at, and he does it very well.

Wouldn't it be better on his return to move Regal to Smackdown as with the exception of Lance Storm it appears to the have the better wrestling talent and may help him raise his game which most of you seem so disappointed by.Maybe Mo could do an editorial on Regal for Powerslam, I'd rather read about him and his career, problems and future than most wrestlers.

Edited by Oxen

• Paid Members

I'd rather watch him do what he's good at, and he does it very well.

Care to name any in-ring examples since his Benoit match?
I mentioned it in my other threads, almost every Regal match I've seen, it's the little things that Regal does that makes his performances so good, his character, his facial expressions, the forearm to the face, the way he punches. Like Fadda said, you don't need great matches to be a great wrestler.Quite simply Mo, I get Regals work, you don't. That's not a knock on you but he's got some aspects that makes him stand-out to me whcih don't appeal to you.

• Paid Members

I'd rather watch him do what he's good at, and he does it very well.

Care to name any in-ring examples since his Benoit match?
I mentioned it in my other threads, almost every Regal match I've seen, it's the little things that Regal does that makes his performances so good, his character, his facial expressions, the forearm to the face, the way he punches. Like Fadda said, you don't need great matches to be a great wrestler.Quite simply Mo, I get Regals work, you don't. That's not a knock on you but he's got some aspects that makes him stand-out to me whcih don't appeal to you.
I do get Regal's matches=cop out. ;) Either that, or you think all of Regal's matches are good. It's all well doing the 'little things' that I'm apparently blind to, but the whole purpose of working matches is to stage entertaining bouts. Regal just seems to work to entertain himself, and forgets that his job is to entertain the fans.

Quite simply Mo, I get Regals work, you don't. That's not a knock on you but he's got some aspects that makes him stand-out to me whcih don't appeal to you.

Well said, it's like with others, some workers will appeal to others while some don't for instance I can't stomach RVD, but loads of people love him, he just does nothing for him, you don't need a ***** classic to neccesarily enjoy a match or a worker.God, I'm rambling like Tazz now :/

• Paid Members

Quite simply Mo, I get Regals work, you don't.  That's not a knock on you but he's got some aspects that makes him stand-out to me whcih don't  appeal to you.

Well said, it's like with others, some workers will appeal to others while some don't for instance I can't stomach RVD, but loads of people love him, he just does nothing for him, you don't need a ***** classic to neccesarily enjoy a match or a worker.God, I'm rambling like Tazz now :/
Yeah, but some people 'get' M-Dogg 20 and Albert.To 'get' someone is a very weak argument.

Plus, Regal turns somersault bumps for no reason and hasn't had a great or even good match since 1999.As Mo said, he should be able to adapt to the style of the company he's working in. When Rob Van Dam went to Japan, he toned down the stalling and thumb pointing and worked a more sedate match. Because he sucks and stuff, he didn't get over, but at least he tried. This means RVD>Regal. Yes.