Regal returning?

Rob Lowe

• Paid Members

Just take Fit Finlay from WCW in 1998 as an example. He was able to practice this craft and exhibit those subtleties whilst meshing with different styles and producing many good matches.

So did Regal.
Yeah, in WCW. His in-ring WWE tenure has been utterly forgettable, unless you're a big fan of wrestlers throwing lots of distinct forearm shots.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take Fit Finlay from WCW in 1998 as an example. He was able to practice this craft and exhibit those subtleties whilst meshing with different styles and producing many good matches.

So did Regal.
Yeah, in WCW. His in-ring WWE tenure has been utterly forgettable, unless you're a big fan of wrestlers throwing lots of distinct forearm shots.
Has anyone made an effort to work a Regal style match and go with him though?

His in-ring WWE tenure has been utterly forgettable, unless you're a big fan of wrestlers throwing lots of distinct forearm shots.

Some people prefer lots of distinct forearm shots as opposed to lots of distinct German suplexes (a whole fucking hour of them!)

Some people appreciate Regal. Others are happy to endure a monopoly promotion in the US that churns out and will continue to churn out identical muscleboys who all have the 'WWE look' but don't know the meaning of charisma or subtleties in the ring. It's all suplexes and finishers from now on. This exact same debate has gone on for years.Keep the Cenas, O'Haires, Jindraks, Ortons, Edges, Angles and Batistas of this world, and I hope you enjoy them (or get used to them - many more carbon copies to come). I'd rather watch Regal. You've got a promotion that is gradually converging to all the wrestlers looking and wrestling exactly the same way. At least Regal offers something different, a dying craft, from the same bland factory-produced homogeneity.

What a load of pretentious crap Just because I passionately dislike Regal's recent work doesn't automatically mean I subscribe to McMahon's vision of what a pro wrestler should be. The simple the fact is that I dislike modern day Regal because he clogs up my TV screen with appallingly disjointed matches, primarily due to the fact that’s he's now totally unwilling to adjust his style in order to fit in with whatever opponents he’s working with.As for the "little things" he does, well I can watch any two-bit All Star worker run through the uppercut and forearm across the face routine...I'll just stick to watching the likes of Doug Williams, Matt Stryker, Tom Cater and Chad Collyer work the “Carny” style more much effectively.

The simple the fact is that I dislike modern day Regal because he clogs up my TV screen with appallingly disjointed matches, primarily due to the fact that’s he's now totally unwilling to adjust his style in order to fit in with whatever opponents he’s working with.

What's this desire for conformity? If he does 'clog up' your TV screen (which clearly pisses you off a great deal), it's usually for no more than the alloted three minutes his matches are given. Maybe one day Regal will learn to work and adjust to Test's style.

It's not a coincidence that most of Foley's best WWF matches were brawling ECW type ones Mo (Rumble 2000, NWO 2000, OTE 98 etc) when has Regal ever got chance to work his style or something similarI'm not claiming Regal's on the same planet as Foley was as a worker but I feel his WWE output is harshly treatedhell Ultimo Dragon isn't producing great WWE work for the same reasons Regal wasn't

• Paid Members

It's not a coincidence that most of Foley's best WWF matches were brawling ECW type ones Mo (Rumble 2000, NWO 2000, OTE 98 etc) when has Regal ever got chance to work his style or something similarI'm not claiming Regal's on the same planet as Foley was as a worker but I feel his WWE output is harshly treatedhell Ultimo Dragon isn't producing great WWE work for the same reasons Regal wasn't

Yeah, but those matches were worked in a way which played up to Foley's strengths whilst still fitting in with the WWF's main event style.Regal may have only a few minutes to go out there and do his thing, but the same can be said for everyone else on the roster. It's what you do with your alloted time that matters. The likes of Benoit, Guerrero and Angle can still work good matches even with the constraints placed by the WWE. Regal can't.As for Dragon, he's only been in the company for a short while, and if I watched Velocity, I'm sure I'd be able to tell you about a few decent Dragon matches from that show. I honestly can't tell you about any decent Regal matches in the WWE.

The likes of Benoit, Guerrero and Angle can still work good matches even with the constraints placed by the WWE.

Angle can work with the contraints of the WWE style? Angle needs those constraints. He can't work any other way. I agree, though. Regal not having decent matches these days can't solely be blamed on the shitty style he has to work. Edited by BionicRedneck

• Paid Members

The likes of Benoit, Guerrero and Angle can still work good matches even with the constraints placed by the WWE.

Angle can work with the contraints of the WWE style? Angle needs those constraints. He can't work any other way. I agree, though. Regal not having decent matches these days can't solely be blamed on the shitty style he has to work.
It's not so much a case of can't work any other way, it's just that he's never been able to work another way. Pretty much his entire career has been in the WWE, so he's been groomed to work their style.I'm personally confident that if he was taken out of that element and placed in, say, New Japan, he'd be able to adapt to guys like Chono, Tenzan and Nagata.

If Regal was this world-class and typically British mat technician that he's done an incredible job in fooling many fans into believing, he'd have had the same impact as Mick Foley. Foley didn't fit into the WWF style, but he was so good at what he did, and was smart enough to adapt his work without totally compromising it, that he won the fans and the promotion over.

I fully agree. Regal would be over like Rover if he jumped off a cage.

Even if you booked Regal in a half-hour match in Croydon against Robbie Brookside, the match would still suck because Regal is a terrible performer who has absolutely no clue about how to assemble a watchable match.

That, my friend, is bollocks.

I honestly can't tell you about any decent Regal matches in the WWE

You don't have to, John did it for you. You must have skipped that bit though.

I'm personally confident that if he was taken out of that element and placed in, say, New Japan, he'd be able to adapt to guys like Chono, Tenzan and Nagata.

Well , whoopdee-do. From one bunch of boring crap to another. ;) . Regal fitted in great in New Japan aswell. Surely a fairer comparison would be this: Could Angle have great matches in AAA?What if Kawada signed for the WWE? He'd have 'shit' matches every week on RAW, and he's one of the greatest of all time. How about Kiyoshi Tamura? Shocker? Takayama?

Guest schumacher

If Regal was this world-class and typically British mat technician that he's done an incredible job in fooling many fans into believing, he'd have had the same impact as Mick Foley. Foley didn't fit into the WWF style, but he was so good at what he did, and was smart enough to adapt his work without totally compromising it, that he won the fans and the promotion over.

Quick somebody get Regal a pair of tube socks :love:

All this critiscism of Regal is totally unfair. The guy was a very good performer in WCW, he had a belter with Benoit at the Pillman memorial card (in which he pulled his own weight in the ring) and has been reasonable in WWE. Unfortunately, he has been booked as a "hard man" of sorts with all that crap about the brass knucks with Edge and then the bland, no-nonsense team with Lance Storm. Hell, even his interviews sucked during that phase!The guy obviously has the know how, he has the potential to physically get there, but he must be allowed to do so!

• Paid Members

Even if you booked Regal in a half-hour match in Croydon against Robbie Brookside, the match would still suck because Regal is a terrible performer who has absolutely no clue about how to assemble a watchable match.

That, my friend, is bollocks.
Whenever I have seen Regal assemble a watchable match, it's been because of his opponent. Regal comes out with the 'subtleties', and it's his opponent that's had to glue that stuff together and then make it look and mean something.

I honestly can't tell you about any decent Regal matches in the WWE

You don't have to, John did it for you. You must have skipped that bit though.
I haven't watched some of the matches John mentioned, but of those I have watched, I didn't think much of them.

I'm personally confident that if he was taken out of that element and placed in, say, New Japan, he'd be able to adapt to guys like Chono, Tenzan and Nagata.

Well , whoopdee-do. From one bunch of boring crap to another. ;) . Regal fitted in great in New Japan aswell. Surely a fairer comparison would be this: Could Angle have great matches in AAA?
Quite possibly. Apparently, 'good matches' and 'AAA' go together like oil and water these days, but I've no doubt Angle could. If lesser workers such as The Habana Pitbulls can make a very successful transition, then Angle almost certainly could.

What if Kawada signed for the WWE? He'd have 'shit' matches every week on RAW, and he's one of the greatest of all time. How about Kiyoshi Tamura? Shocker? Takayama?

Obviously, those guys are used to working longer matches. However, I'm sure they'd still be able to assemble tight and enjoyable TV matches, and then work better and longer matches on pay-per-view. Edited by MoChatra

I enjoy watching William Regal. WWE doesn't allow him to wrestle like he could because they want to put boundaries on their performers. That's WWE's fault.There is a reason why Chris Jericho's and Chris Benoit's wrestling is less exciting now than it was in the mid-1990s, and that's not because they have suddenly lost their skills or become older. The problem is "WWE style". Wrestlers in WWE are supposed to wrestle in a certain way. The result is that most of the performers are more or less clones. When someone, such as Regal, has a unique style and is able to provide something different, he is forced adapt to a style that is the so-called "WWE style". Maybe he has been poor to adapt to the style, or maybe he prefers to wrestle his own style. He has wrestled in the States since the early 1990s BECAUSE of his unique style and has had pride in continuing wrestling a "British" style. I think that is a credit to him.Poor worker or not. Let's put REGAL and ANY WWE worker in the ring without pre-scripting a match and you will find out who is able to WORK a match. The word WORK in this case means WORK a match and not choreograph 3 minutes of rope running with added crash bangs......Regal = good worker.