93 WWF UK tour & a portion of prawn crackers

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

That's interesting that Perfect had a sick note at your show, where it was Bret at ours. 

Funny, because Perfect hadn’t wrestled since October. Light years from today when we know the minute someone’s “endeavoured.” In 93 they simply didn’t know a good way to tell the public “He’s done.”

20 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

My dad gave no shits about wrestling but popped big for Paul Bearer and did impressions of him for the next 20 years

Absolutely sensational dad behaviour, to be fair. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Absolutely sensational dad behaviour, to be fair. 

It started with the obvious "ohhh yeeees" and "my undertaker" but it evolved in to just randomness to try and cause embarrassment. Once brought a new girlfriend home "ohhhhh, are you going for a meeeaal". My mates fell about laughing. It was like his go to for cheap pops with the kids. Top notch fatha stuff.

3 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

It started with the obvious "ohhh yeeees" and "my undertaker" but it evolved in to just randomness to try and cause embarrassment. Once brought a new girlfriend home "ohhhhh, are you going for a meeeaal". My mates fell about laughing. It was like his go to for cheap pops with the kids. Top notch fatha stuff.

What a worker! 

• Paid Members

For the interested, because it's from about the same time period, here's my thoughts from my Telford trip the March thereafter, snipped from a far longer thing I wrote on a long-forgotten blog intended to be part of a series about my (first) 20 years of going to live shows, that I expect nobody would ever have read if I'd continued anyway! Apologies if it repeats anything I wrote in House Show Happenings. There's only so many ways you can describe the excitement of a Kwang match....

-
THE FIRST SHOW
FRIDAY 25TH MARCH 1994 * WWF EUROPEAN TOUR * TELFORD
(1) Kwang pinned Koko B Ware after a spinning heel kick.
(2) Earthquake pinned IRS after the Earthquake.
(3) Diesel pinned 1-2-3 Kid after a big boot.
(4) Bam Bam Bigelow pinned Tatanka with a schoolboy (Tatanka was distracted by IRS).
(5) Jeff Jarrett pinned Doink with a schoolboy.
(6) WWF Tag Team Champions The Quebecers beat Men On A Mission.
(7) WWF Champion Bret “Hitman” Hart pinned Owen Hart with a small package.

The show was a mere five days after WrestleMania X, which I had not seen yet due to not having borrowed the tape from my friend with Sky yet. I knew very little about what I was going to get to see, other than it was the WWF and it was in Telford. To this day, I’ve yet to have a reason to return to Telford. By the by. In the queue to get into the building, my old man kept my expectations in check by telling me “It probably won’t be anyone you know off TV.” It wasn’t an intentional ruse, that was just his nature. I heard another child refer to Owen as being “flukey” and suddenly guessed that he must have beaten his big brother at WrestleMania. I was quite upset. Upon buying the program, I was thrilled to see that all the major stars were on the European tour, and I wondered who I would get to see. During the undercard my personal memories are the shock I felt when I saw Tatanka pinned – to my knowledge at the time, only Ludvig Borga had done that – and my old man’s reactions. He couldn’t believe how tall Diesel was, and when Luna Vachon came out with Bam Bam he exclaimed “What the hell is that?” When the main event was announced as for the belt, I got excited. I didn’t know who the champion was after Mania. When Owen Hart came out as the challenger, my 11 year old brain rationalized that he probably wasn’t wrestling Luger or Yokozuna. Sure enough, my hero came out with the belt around his waist, and I went crazy like only hyperactive children do. I still treasure the memory.
-
And for those that might be interested, while Britain got those shows or a shuffle to Kwang vs Kid, Diesel vs Tatanka, Jarrett vs Koko, IRS vs Doink and Earthquake vs Bam Bam, Germany and Austria usually got ;
Adam Bomb defeated Rick Martel
WWF Womens Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Leilani Kai
Randy Savage defeated Crush
WWF IC Champion Razor Ramon pinned Shawn Michaels
Sparky Plugg defeated Bastion Booger
The Smoking Gunns defeated the Headshrinkers
Lex Luger defeated Yokozuna via count-out

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yay, @Kaz Hayashi is back - welcome back sir.

I absolutely loved reading this, as whilst I’m now totally removed from wrestling and haven’t followed in years for reasons already stated, I can’t ignore that it was a massive part of my childhood and helped form my early adulthood. All the horrendous stuff aside, I have a lot to thank it for in making my younger years very special.

I’d suggest that actually, accounts from people’s childhood memories going to any show with bemused parents would make for an amazing threads. Dads are great, basically.

I want to delve a little into my own archives to check my memory holds up, but I have great memories going to UK shows with Big Daddy and then later Bulldog when I was a kid. I don’t want to dilute the thread from Kaz’a intentions, mind.

This has properly made my day.

Edit: totally forgot to mention how your dad’s Paul Bearer meal enquiry made 4 people on the train look at me weird when I started laughing quite hard.

Edited by Scratch

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Scratch said:

Yay, @Kaz Hayashi is back - welcome back sir.

I absolutely loved reading this, as whilst I’m now totally removed from wrestling and haven’t followed in years for reasons already stated, I can’t ignore that it was a massive part of my childhood and helped form my early adulthood. All the horrendous stuff aside, I have a lot to thank it for in making my younger years very special.

I’d suggest that actually, accounts from people’s childhood memories going to any show with bemused parents would make for an amazing threads. Dads are great, basically.

I want to delve a little into my own archives to check my memory holds up, but I have great memories going to UK shows with Big Daddy and then later Bulldog when I was a kid. I don’t want to dilute the thread from Kaz’a intentions, mind.

This has properly made my day.

Edit: totally forgot to mention how your dad’s Paul Bearer meal enquiry made 4 people on the train look at me weird when I started laughing quite hard.

Cheers mate, yeah, randomly popped back in a month or so ago but didn't have much to say. I really just popped by this time to message Liam, but thought I'd share this nonsense, might stick around a while.