UFC Vegas: Fiziev vs Gamrot - Sep 23 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Enjoyed the first three fights on the main card. Waterson got destroyed. Those knees reminded me of when Anderson Silva made mince meat of Franklin's body with knees in their first fight. Could see the energy just drain from Waterson's body. This could have easily been stopped in Round 1. Crazy to see how heavy Waterson was breathing in the corner after R1, which just showed the damage she took during it.

The final two matches fell flat for me. The main event for obvious reasons, but the Ige match didnt do much for me either. Had R3 been a good round then Id have enjoyed it, but it fell flat during it instead, which sort of killed any excitement.

• Paid Members

Yeah bit of a hit and miss show, I thought.

The end of the main event really put a downer on it overall as well. Shame as well because it was shaping up to be a cracking fight before Fiziev’s knee gave out.

IMG-3389.jpg

🤢

Really unfortunate. From what I’m reading it’s most likely a torn ACL and he’s probably looking at around a year on the shelf now. Shite. Think I touched on it in the opening post as well but I’m not sure what the next move for Gamrot is. I was already stumped where a Gamrot win would take him but a win like this muddies things even more. It’s been such a weird run for him. On paper it looks good, he’s gone 3-1 in his last 4. But if you watched the fights, none of those 3 wins were straightforward. An iffy decision win over Jalin Turner, a really dodgy decision over Tsarukyan and now this. He’s calling for the winner of Makhachev vs Oliveira 2 but I can’t see him getting a title shot coming off this weird run. It’s not even his fault but it’s just been odd and certainly doesn’t scream #1 contender.

Didn’t think much of Bryce Mitchell vs Dan Ige really. Wasn’t bad and I enjoyed some of Bryce’s grappling, it just wasn’t as good a fight as I hoped it’d be and it wasn’t quite the blow away performance Bryce needed coming off that hiding from Topuria. Still, a win’s a win.

And yeah, Rodriguez vs Waterson 2 was a complete mugging. To the point it was getting a bit uncomfortable to watch towards the end of the first round. Definitely could’ve been stopped sooner.

IMG-3384.jpg

No-one’s questioning Waterson’s toughness but, fuck me, she gets beat up a lot. This was a rematch that really didn’t need to happen and despite her getting that ridiculous new 8 fight contract recently, this just felt like the end for her. I wouldn’t be surprised if she announces her retirement soon, or at least announces that her next fight will be her last. Obviously she never said that here but just seeing how emotional and crushed she seemed post-fight suggests she knows it’s over. There was a clip doing the rounds on Twitter on the night of her leaving the cage after the fight and being consoled by her old Jackson-Wink teammate Rashad Evans and it just looked like a moment where the penny has dropped for her that she’s done.

IMG-3380.jpg

I’ve been apathetic previewing her last couple of fights and I’ve said a few times I was a bit baffled by them re-signing her for so many fights given her recent form/age but it’s still rough to see  moments like this. It’s a shame really that they never bothered bringing in an Atomweight division a few years ago when Waterson might still have had something left in the tank. I’ve been saying for years that she’s too small for Strawweight and you have to think they’d have had more talent to choose from in an Atomweight division than fucking about with a Featherweight division consisting of about 3 women at any one time. 

What else? I enjoyed the performances and submissions from Bryan Battle and Charles Jourdain to kick off the main card. Both were fun to watch especially Jourdain vs Ramos. 

Didn’t rate the prelims much, to be honest. Only thing of note was Means vs Fialho, which was a corker and rightly got the FOTN bonus. If you skipped the prelims it’s well worth seeking out just that fight. Think it might be the end of the road for Fialho’s UFC stint though. Shame because he’s exciting to watch and looked like he might carve out a decent little midcard run for himself when he first came in. But this is 4 KO/TKO losses on the bounce now. Fair play to Means still getting it done in the 50th fight of his career though. 

Yeah this show wasn’t the best, lacklustre prelims and the co-main/main brought it down a bit. However, the real downer was for some reason I thought it was UFC 294 this weekend. Absolutely no idea what made me think that but it was a disappointment getting ready for that only to have to watch this…