Merzbow

Let's talk about the times when someone refused to do the job, especially those times when it was daft or bad for business.

What made me think of this was when going on my history of FMW binge (if you couldn't tell, I'm on that Onita kick right now) I was reminded of the time he "retired" in 1995, selling up FMW and having the big explosive cage deathmatch against the next ace of the company, Hayabusa. Instead of giving Hayabusa the big win and cementing him as the top face of the company Onita's ego got the best of him for the millionth time and he had to go over on his way out of the business. Not only that, he went on this weird rant after the match berating our future star as he was being stretchered out after the showing of a lifetime. I love Onita but he's a grade A dickhead so much of the time.

Oh, and let's not forget that he broke a promise to Terry Funk and decided he wouldn't return the favour after beating him.

Honky Tonk Man thinking he was more valuable than he actually was in Dubiya Cee Dubiya in 1994 refusing to job to Marc Mero. Trying to leverage a new deal with Bischoff as if he was Bruno Samartino in the main event at MSG.

Bischoff told him to get to fuck and he never wrestled regularly for a mainstream company ever again.

Edited by IronSheik

5 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Honky Tonk Man thinking he was more valuable than he actually was in Dubiya Cee Dubiya in 1994 refusing to job to Marc Mero. Trying to leverage a new deal with Bischoff as if he was Bruno Samartino in the main event at MSG.

Bischoff told him to get to fuck and he never wrestled regularly for a mainstream company ever again.

Didn't he also refuse to drop the IC title to Macho Man, too?

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Didn't he also refuse to drop the IC title to Macho Man, too?

He played a blinder there to be fair. Still had a long run with the IC title and kept on-side enough for a managerial run in 97 and sporadic rumble appearances and a HOF spot. 

It did lead to Savage winning the strap at WM4 though, so probably cost Ted DiBiase a tital run in the process.

Edited by garynysmon