Mr Perfect. All that?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I didn’t mean it as a knock, by the way. 80s WWF was just a different product and having 10* matches wasn’t what was called for. I don’t doubt the names I mentioned wouldn’t have been capable of having a bunch of classics under different circumstances but it wasn’t what the WWF shows were predominantly about. Didn’t hinder my enjoyment of it. Like, my favourite Jake The Snake match ever is his Blindfold match with The Model at WrestleMania VII. Furthest thing from a workrate wankathon as you can get but it was so well done and it’s stuck with me since I first saw it above any other match either man had.

The weird thing is, if Perfect was around now and in his physical prime having 20 minute matches on Raw every week, we’d probably be sick of him too. He just came along at a time where you mostly saw the stars just squashing jobbers in 3 minutes on Superstars until the next ‘proper match’ on the PPV. A lot of times I roll my eyes when wrestlers from that era claim they had the best matches of their career on house shows but when you think about it, it probably was the case a lot of the time as that’s when they’d have more freedom to really improvise and go with the flow rather than a quick squash on TV or having to stick to whatever the match/angle called for in a big SummerSlam match or something.