Dustin Rhodes - what if?

stefan

I suppose they could have taken him off-screen for a short while, made him join Dungeon of Doom as an undead cowboy thus calling him "The Unnatural" Dustin Rhodes. Strange though as I had this same thought about Dustin Rhodes when I was thinking about WCW's identity just before Hogan commited his one man takeover of the company. Naturally I then started to think about "What if Austin stayed" but he really did need to go to ECW to cultivate his image.

Though as far as alturnative histories go I would have been more curious to see a face Vader lead a resistance to a recently formed NWO.

Edited by FireBrand

• Paid Members

It wouldn't have mattered who'd been up against the nWo with Hogan in charge. Likewise if they'd gone with Sting as the third man the nWo would have just ended up getting fed to Hogan one by one. 

• Paid Members

There's the rub. All the NWO fantasy booking scenarios hinge on anyone getting a fair shake against the NWO, or the NWO angle coming to a logical end with them defeated at some point. The logical people to kill off the NWO were either Sting or a babyface Horsemen, and they couldn't commit to either of those, so they weren't going to fare any better with Dustin Rhodes or Vader as the opposition.

• Paid Members

If Hogan hadn't stuck his oar in it would have been Sting rolling over him at Starrcade '97 clean to finally put paid to the nWo, but where would they have gone from there? I guess cycle the horsemen back in for another round of Sting Vs Flair? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Had Dustin still been there I guess he'd have been involved alongside the likes of Luger in battling Arn, Mongo and Benoit or he'd have been lost in the shuffle. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If Hogan hadn't stuck his oar in it would have been Sting rolling over him at Starrcade '97 clean to finally put paid to the nWo, but where would they have gone from there? I guess cycle the horsemen back in for another round of Sting Vs Flair? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Had Dustin still been there I guess he'd have been involved alongside the likes of Luger in battling Arn, Mongo and Benoit or he'd have been lost in the shuffle. 

I think the ultimate untold WCW story would have been Dustin joining the Horsemen. I'd have done it in '93, and thrown Austin in there too, but there's no reason they couldn't have done it in '97 if Dustin was still around. I just think Dusty could have worked magic with the story of his kid being corrupted into joining the stable he fought hardest against.

Doing Horsemen vs. Sting again after Starrcade isn't the worst idea - you do a classic Flair turning on gullible babyface Sting spot, of having the Horsemen celebrate with Sting for having rid WCW of the NWO, then jump him and resume dominance as the top heel stable. They can still do "NWO Civil War" stuff by another name, have Hogan feud with Nash or whoever after the fact. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think the ultimate untold WCW story would have been Dustin joining the Horsemen. I'd have done it in '93, and thrown Austin in there too, but there's no reason they couldn't have done it in '97 if Dustin was still around. I just think Dusty could have worked magic with the story of his kid being corrupted into joining the stable he fought hardest against.

Doing Horsemen vs. Sting again after Starrcade isn't the worst idea - you do a classic Flair turning on gullible babyface Sting spot, of having the Horsemen celebrate with Sting for having rid WCW of the NWO, then jump him and resume dominance as the top heel stable. They can still do "NWO Civil War" stuff by another name, have Hogan feud with Nash or whoever after the fact. 

As soon as I posted that I thought of a revolving door of nWo members lining up to try and reclaim the title from Sting and establish themselves as leader. Nash, Hall, Giant, Hennig, heck throw Dusty out there for a match. Then either have Steiner as the one to take the belt from him, or Goldberg working his way through nWo members from the bottom up as Sting is kind of working through them from the top down and they end up meeting for the title at Starrcade 98.