Dustin Rhodes - what if?

stefan

So I have been watching some Dustin Rhodes from 1994 and he is very over. So given that, and what we saw from him at Double Or Nothing this year, would he have better off staying in WCW or leaving for WWF in 1995? He was fired, so it wasn't much of a choice. Eric Bischoff has said the plan was to bring him back shortly ofter the blood incident, similar to how Daniel Bryan was fired and rehired by WWE in 2011, but WWF hired him before he got a chance to so that didn't happen.

Obviously he had success in WWF and the Goldust character is somewhat iconic and he got a big Wrestlemania match with Piper. But from 1997 he was relegated to midcard, and when he was brought back in 2002 in later he was mainly used as a nostaligia act although he had two good tag runs, one with Booker and one with Cody.

But how would things have turned out if he stayed in WCW? He was a homegrown guy so could have been a key player along with Sting and DDP in the war against nWo. Bischoff has said he would have liked to use him in that role.

So what do you think would have worked out better for him, leaving like he did or staying in WCW?

• Paid Members

I think he'd have ended up leaving eventually anyway.

He accepted the Goldust gimmick, without understanding it, because he was sick of being "Dusty's kid" and because he wanted to prove himself on his own merits.  He couldn't have done that in WCW where Dusty was influential. Even if he DID manage to break out of the pack there, he'd never know if it was down to his old man or not.

It's even worse considering him and his Dad didn't get along for years.

Throw in the lack of opportunities there, the fact that it was a political minefield, and how desperate the WWF were for talent, I think Dustin jumping was inevitable.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

Throw in the lack of opportunities there, the fact that it was a political minefield, and how desperate the WWF were for talent, I think Dustin jumping was inevitable.

Yeah. Look who Jim Ross hired. Steve Austin, Van Vader, Cactus Jack, Johnny B Badd, Brian Pillman, 2 Cold Scorpio, Barry Windham, Ron Simmons. Dustin Rhodes was jumping to WWF sooner or later. Ross was taking all his ex-WCW mates with him.

• Paid Members

Dustin Rhodes needed the Goldust gimmick. He was a great worker before that, but it was as Goldust that he really perfected character work and timing. There's the old adage about how the best gimmicks are yourself turned up to 11, but I think you need a bit of time working as something a million miles away from yourself before you've acquired the skills to be "yourself". There's no Stone Cold without Stunning Steve Austin, and Dustin Rhodes without Goldust would be half the worker he is.

He wouldn't have been a top guy in WCW through the mid-90s given the influx of WWF talent they had there - you only have to look at how relatively marginalised Ric Flair became during the nWo run to see that "Dusty's Kid" wouldn't have had the selling power it once had.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Its not much of an interview is it? It's 5 or so small quotes from him that tell us very little insightful and loads of fluff from the pen of whomever wrote it to pad it out to something longer. 

Not every publication does long drawn out shoot interviews. I'll let you know how many questions and answers are included next time.