On This Day in MMA History

Noah Southworth

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Noah Southworth said:

. Future Kimbo Slice opponent, Bo Cantrell beat Rocky Batastini, a man who would end his career with a stellar record of 8-22.

Guys like Bo Cantrell fascinate me, there's something about that old school type of MMA heavyweight that always strikes a chord with me. I don't think them types of fighters had much level of training, they were just local tough guys who showed up and had a go. Cantrell, like a guy like Shannon Ritch always seemed to be willing to take a dive if the money was right, not sure if by choice or because they were asked too.

Cantrell's final 6 fights lasted a total of less than 3 minutes and he was finished 5 times (and scored a win over Worsham). Great stats...he no doubt took a dive against Kimbo too, that may have been through fear though, the Kimbo bubble hadn't burst at that point.

d5480.jpg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

he no doubt took a dive against Kimbo too, that may have been through fear though, the Kimbo bubble hadn't burst at that point.

After checking, Cantrell was ill before the fight. Gary Shaw received phone calls before the fight to notify him that Cantrell wasn't feeling his best. He was still cleared to fight though. I'm going to give this one the benefit of the doubt. I don't think Bo took a dive. 

I wouldn't be shocked if Cantrell was given certain instructions beforehand though. Petruzelli was allegedly told to keep the fight standing before his fight with Kimbo. 

2 hours ago, Noah Southworth said:

Vitor Belfort levelled Yoshiki Takahashi in 36-seconds. Frank Trigg, on commentary, was gushing and proclaimed ‘Vitor is back’. Yeah, sure; whatever you say, Frank.

I remember that.

Making it even more foolish, Trigg had written off Belfort as a spent force before the opening bell. Then he did a complete 180 when Belfort scored the stoppage some 60 seconds later. "That's the old Vitor" he bellowed. Trigg was acting like Belfort had chinned a Hendo or Lil Nog, not a journeyman. 

• Paid Members

im not so sure Jim, first off. The elbow Kimbo throws might not even land, it's close. Bo hit the deck and immediately tapped...when i say dive, i don't necessarily mean Bo did it because he was paid off. I mean he hit the deck because he was fucking terrified and didn't want to be in there.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I remember that.

Making it even more foolish, Trigg had written off Belfort as a spent force before the opening bell. Then he did a complete 180 when Belfort scored the stoppage some 60 seconds later. "That's the old Vitor" he bellowed. Trigg was acting like Belfort had chinned a Hendo or Lil Nog, not a journeyman. 

ahhh, i hated Trigg on commentary.

I enjoyed him a radio host outside of his fighting career but commentary wasn't great. As a fighter though Trigg is a bit of a forgotten man in the sport, one of MMA's great heels for me.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed the build up to Serra vs Trigg in the UFC. Besides Big Nog vs Frank Mir, you couldn't really have had a much clearer divide of babyface vs heel for me than those two. I particularly loved Serra ripping Trigg for having a 'tramp stamp' tattoo :laugh: 

I forgot about Trigg returning to the UFC in 2009/2010. I'd completely blanked that he'd fought Serra as well. 

I remember Trigg best for his 2nd fight with Hughes. It was the first great MMA bout I experienced in real time (well, 24 hour delay). Trigg was indeed a great heel, he really hammed it up in the pre-fight video package. This was before TUF 2, so Hughes wasn't universally disliked. In fact, Hughes was pretty nondescript at the time. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

im not so sure Jim, first off. The elbow Kimbo throws might not even land, it's close. Bo hit the deck and immediately tapped...when i say dive, i don't necessarily mean Bo did it because he was paid off. I mean he hit the deck because he was fucking terrified and didn't want to be in there.

Got you. 

• Paid Members

yeh Triggs one of them earlier characters that really drew me in, its not surprising he was mixing in the main event scene. 

I need to get on Fight Pass and watch the couple of fights he had over in Icon between his UFC runs. They were shows i was desperate to watch when they happened but just couldn't get access to them a the time, Trigg/Lawler/Mayhem had a wild series there, ive seen clips but need to revisit the whole fights.

• Paid Members

yeh, brutal finish. 

im pretty sure Trigg finished Mayhem with headstomps there too. The Hawaii scene was mental, ive loved whatever ive seen of it. Whenever people talk of the history of MMA it usually revolves around the US and Japan, but Hawaii is like a little crazy offspring off on its own. Mental crowds, violent fights and loads of well known names.

• Paid Members

Not to mention the time Lawler battered Falaniko Vitale and Vitale's fat sister who looked like Janice off the Sopranos ran in and tried to attack Lawler. 

Hawaii seems a bit of a wild place for MMA. 

• Paid Members

it was/is.

The Rumble on the Rock series are really good too, filled with familiar names but there's a ton of little known Hawaiin fighters, win or lose they always bring it.

• Paid Members

Rumble On The Rock was great. How can you not love a promotion that gave us Penn vs Gomi, Butterbean vs Cabbage Correira and Phil Baroni on commentary. Fond memories.

Surely Hawaii are finally going to get that UFC show soon. Max Holloway is the champ, and they can wheel out BJ Penn on the undercard if they must. Then you can sprinkle Louis Smolka, Yancy Medeiros, Kailin Curran etc throughout the card. 

Rumble On The Rock also produced a mouth-watering tournament in early 2006. The likes of Anderson. Shields, Okami, Condit and Trigg were all involved. Most of these went on to be bigger stars after the tournament, but even at the time, it was still an impressive array of talent. Especially since there were plenty of other promotions that fighters could apply their trade in. The UFC and Pride were both in their element in early 2006, and Strikeforce had just made their debut as an MMA promotion in California. 

Archived