Standing Areas/Ticket Prices

TheLowdown1987

With the Liverpool protest in the headlines and Celtic getting 2,600 'Rail Standing' areas from next season where does everybody see this going?

Personally, I see a direct correlation between fan's wanting a reduction in ticket prices and the return to the German style 'Rail Seats'. I think the time has come for things to change. Now don't get me wrong, I think there is also a need for the more expensive seats in hospitality sections like in the Main Stand at Anfield but the problem is that the seats in the Kop are just that, seats. There isn't a great deal of difference in product so why should they lower the price?

I think when you look at Germany you see that elastication of prices that we dont see here. Sure you can buy an 80 Euro seat at Bayern Munich but you can also get a standing place for 15/18 Euro. Thats the difference. Here, you will never get a seat priced at £15.

Times are changing though and with the Celtic trial which will be a success and the end of the Hillsborough inquiry this year hopefully we will start to see some common sense return.

It really is a nice idea, but its not going to happen

clubs do not give a shit about you, we are all just consumers and as highlighted in the other thread there's plenty of people that will replace those unwilling to pay the prices.

It is too late for clubs to lower their prices to Bundesliga prices. Sad state of affairs but the absolute truth. Football is a business, I doubt the Fenway Group gave much of a shit about yesterday whilst they're trying to nail down an official noodle sponsor for next season.

just wait until Spurs announce their new stadium prices...

I believe safe standing will come in soon enough. Every away match I have been to I have been on my feet for 90 minutes and this can be dangerous. Personally I know five people who have had leg/ankle/foot injuries by getting trapped in the seat in front.

Times have changed since the Hillsborough disaster. Turnstiles can accurately count how many people can come through so we should never get the overcrowding like the Leppings Lane End

Not sure why this needs a separate thread from all the other football ones, but it's worth pointing out that in England, building new stands that aren't all-seater is presently against the law in the top two divisions in England. We're about to experiment with rail seats that for the moment only the rugby club will be able to use, whilst Brentford have about 18 months of leeway left since their promotion. The other 46 clubs seems committed to seating areas only as far as I'm aware.

Liverpool would be one of the last clubs to convert seats back into standing areas because of the hypersensitivity surrounding the Hillsborough disaster. The protest on Saturday wasn't really about that. The fans there were claiming ticket prices can and should be lower – or at least not increased – even without a return to standing. 

The Celtic development is huge though. If anybody truly believes that once the Celtic Standing areas are proven to be great and a success and other clubs in Scotland start to plan for there own sections England wont be far off is deluded. Most clubs are in favor of at least a relaxation in the laws after the 2013 consultation from the Football League.

I say give it 3 years, and we will start to see the Rail Areas in the Championship at least. I am positive about that.

• Paid Members

Agree with Glenryck Pilchards. I think it's inevitible. I can't see anything happening unti lthe Hillsborough inquest concludes but once it does, I think there'll be a real shift in momentum.

It has to happen. Currently people stand all the time at away games. It's a crazy situation. It's not fair on people who want/need to sit. They need to give people the choice. There is a benefit for clubs to get behind it. You can get 3 people into 2 seats with safe standing so there is the opportunity to sell more tickets.

Those tickets won't be any cheaper. safe standing is outside that argument IMO. I'd like the option though, I prefer to stand.

I understand why all-seater was introduced by law and I support the decision at that time. It's also played a part in the rebuilding and revitalising of our stadiums. It's time to change it though. It's a different country now. Most games are all-ticket. Safety is paramount. Everything is under scrutiny. This can happen without fear of reprisal.

Rick, the big argument for me is the standing in seated areas one. How anyone can say that the Rail Standing Areas in Germany would be a step back and unsafe when thousands stand in front of there seats, including home fans (All you need to do is look at the Kop at Anfield against Utd or Everton etc).

Like you say, it's 2016, not 1990 and the world has moved on, not just the game. We also live in a global world where you can see how much better it is in other Countries at the click of a button.

With regards to ticket prices, maybe you are right but I dont think a £40 standing ticket would be acceptable especially with the headlines this week and like I said in my first post, in Germany they have 70/80 Euro seated tickets but they also have 15/20 Euro standing tickets. A standing place would be a completely different product to a comfy seat and therefor would have to be cheaper. Whether that is £5 or £25 cheaper I don't know but it would have to be. 

• Paid Members

Standing would need investment. There's no way clubs will then sell those seats cheaper unless it makes a significant capacity difference. i wouldn't be surprised if we're not asked to pay more to stand because of the investment in rail seating.

The new Spurs ground will have Standing capabilities and so will the new Stamford Bridge. With regards to clubs with all-seater stadiums right now, I don't know. My club (Birmingham City) have said they wouldn't be able to reconfigure the ground if the laws were changed anyway so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Archived