The 2013 UKFF UK50 - Stage Three

Big Benny HG

Damn, missed out yet again. I understand why they rate him but I disagree with Dezeeuw & Cobystag having McKinnan at #2. then again, I know that we appreciate different things and have seen him in different matches.

MK was #2 for me because over the course of the year I saw him have more good / great / amazing matches than anyone (except Marty who was 1 for me). I tried to do my list order based on number of top performances rather than personal favoritism for certain guys.

Obviously not everyone see's every match for every guy so everyone's list will have a lot to do with which shows they went to, but I think if anyone would have seen all the matches me and Coby have of MK that they would rate him very highly too.

It's a shame FCP don't put their DVD's out as often as they should as MK has had some absolute stormers that no one has seen unless you were there on the night (some of them might have started to find their way onto you tube now). On top of the matches Coby mentioned he also had great matches with Adam Cole, Spud, Del Sol, Trent Seven and 2 great tag matches one teaming with Trent vs CZW pair of Alex Colon and Greg Excellent, and another teaming with Gresham to take on the LDRS. So he's had a very strong 12 months.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I genuinely don't understand the love for Marty Scurll. Every match I have seen him in he starts off as a face, doesn't have the likability factor to keep being a face over the course of the match and eventually changes to a heel because the crowd have lost interest in him. The only variation on this was Dragongate this year. His match with CIMA was going fine until he did the worst knee drops in history and the crowd lost interest. I know I am going to be on my own on this but if Marty Scurll is one of the best wrestlers in the UK then I would worry about the job.

I've seen a lot of Marty and the only time I saw him turn during a match was when he lost the Southside Speed Kings Title to Robbie X and that was because the crowd was so behind Robbie and it really played well into the story and it was actually the start of Martys heel turn in general. I was at DGUK and I think his match with Cima was fine, I certainly don't remember one move killing the crowd, but I do remember the crowd already being burst out a bit as Marty and Cima had the impossible task of following on directly from Yamato and Yokozuka (which is still the best match on UK soil this year).

I often hear people having a go at Marty but I never understood what he did to rub everyone up the wrong way. He seems a nice guy if you talk to him and generally Marty is in one of the best matches on any card he's on. He can do the technical stuff, he has good strikes, he can fly if required, he works an exciting and fast paced style, has some charisma, personality and can talk if given the mic. To me I'd say he was one of the most complete wrestlers we have.

This year he's been in the 2 of the very best tag matches (LDRS vs MK and Gresh and LDRS vs Ego), 3 fantastic matches with Robbie X and other good matches with Zack Sabre Jr, Sha Samuals, Darrell Allan, Noam Dar, not to mention his feud with Spud and work in Dragongate UK. And although outside the voting period he just had an absolute blinder with Jay Lethal at Rev Pro.

Archived