Mid-Card matches you could watch all day

Big Bully Busick

With Mania coming up and the lack of focus on Mid-Card matches i started to think about years gone by where more attention was placed on guys that wasnt World title contenders

The late 80s and all of the 90s were stacked on Mid-Card action (Im not fan of Russo but give him his due everyone on the card has something to do)

I guess this thread is a way to show off Mid-Card matches/Feuds that you grew up loving ad can still watch today over and over again

WCWs TV Title was amazing for these kind of matches IMO

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcluwz_ri...-anderson_sport

These Two i could watch go at it all day (anything with a member of The Dangerous Alliance gives me a semi)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9hmjf_lo...-eaton-wc_sport

Eaton and Regal are Two of the best Mid-Cards ive ever watched

Whilst this One contains a bona fide main event guy,the way the feud played out was a huge part in Page moving up in the fans eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRT9ROhl-TM

Hated Santana as a kid but looking back this was such a solid feud to place on a card below a main event

I can think of more but lets see what you guys think

Talk about the matches more please. I'm not clicking the links just to see what they even are. Youtube links are AIDS to discussion threads. And this is a potentially nice thread.

To that end, one I could watch all day is HBK/Bulldog from Saturday Night's Main Event in 92. I'm not a massive Bulldog fan but he was a fucking top top talent in there with the right guy. And as is the case with anybody else in the whole industry, Shawn Michaels was the right guy. It's a really well presented television match that wonderfully establishes a goodie and a baddie, even if you'd never watched wrestling ever. Shawn's a cocky little fuck who's clearly got the nod on speed and technique, but jacked up Bulldog is a total brick wall who should have no problem chucking the little cunt about. A shitbag that he is, he cheats to attack Davey's back, and the match and finish probably mark my favourite use of the exposed turn-buckle gimmick ever. Lovely end sequence too. Really smooth and believable. And Vince and Heenan hit every note on commentary too. This match is fucking brill. They're both in great gear too. The best clobber from HBK's 1992 selection, IMO. Here's the link if you've never seen it, but I'm sure you all have and I'm just indulging myself chatting all this shit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3vkeT-vZ4

• Paid Members

There's a load of mid-card matches I probably could post in here (and perhaps will). For now i'll just go with Umaga vs Jeff Hardy though. I could watch Umaga throw Jeff around all day in general to be honest. They had a fantastic chemistry together, I seemed to love every match they had but my favourite was probably for the IC title at Great American Bash 2007. Just a really fun match. Umaga just chucks Jeff around with all his big nifty offence to begin with and as you'd expect it all looks great being received by Jeff, who really knows how to make his opponents stuff look devastating. Then Jeff starts to make a comeback, and the crowd start getting well behind him and there's a load of neat hope spots but Umaga always manages to cut off his momentum before it gathers enough steam until finally just that happens as Jeff is fighting back, gaining control, looks for the Twist of Fate but Umagas survival instinct kicks in and he fires back with a brutal combo of awesome offense to finish Jeff off.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4g2i4_gr...ws#.UVjEZO1wbIU

Talk about the matches more please. I'm not clicking the links just to see what they even are. Youtube links are AIDS to discussion threads. And this is a potentially nice thread.

To that end, one I could watch all day is HBK/Bulldog from Saturday Night's Main Event in 92. I'm not a massive Bulldog fan but he was a fucking top top talent in there with the right guy. And as is the case with anybody else in the whole industry, Shawn Michaels was the right guy. It's a really well presented television match that wonderfully establishes a goodie and a baddie, even if you'd never watched wrestling ever. Shawn's a cocky little fuck who's clearly got the nod on speed and technique, but jacked up Bulldog is a total brick wall who should have no problem chucking the little cunt about. A shitbag that he is, he cheats to attack Davey's back, and the match and finish probably mark my favourite use of the exposed turn-buckle gimmick ever. Lovely end sequence too. Really smooth and believable. And Vince and Heenan hit every note on commentary too. This match is fucking brill. They're both in great gear too. The best clobber from HBK's 1992 selection, IMO. Here's the link if you've never seen it, but I'm sure you all have and I'm just indulging myself chatting all this shit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3vkeT-vZ4

Fair play

Once ive eaten ill fill in what i should really already put down

Both great choices there though

The same taping had Money Inc vs Savage and Warrior in a tidy little match from a period where wrestling was just colorful and nice to watch.

Also, Money Inc vs Steiners in their cage match is one of my top 10 matches, just superbly exciting stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q2hk_gr...-wcw-worl_sport

This is a great little match

I think it happened as WCW were phasing Muta out so he could return to Japan(well result wise anyhow)

Arn was the perfect mid-card guy hence why he had so many TV Title reigns and Muta in 89 was so new to mainstream U.S viewers

Jtex were a cool stable and with them being at ringside watching this when i was 11 i was convinced Arn had no chance,even though Mutas aura has been smashed at Stacrcade 89

Solid mat based start and great feel good ending

Shit i love Arn Anderson

I am going to nominate one of my favourite matches ever; Brian Pillman vs Tom Zenk from Wrestlewar 1992.

Although it is overshadowed by the legendary wargames cage match later in the card, I think this is a perfect example of American cruiserweight wrestling. It has big moves, high intensity and great psychology. I really enjoy how they work this match with the story that Zenk and Pillman are good friends and former partners. A lot of the match circles around how similar they are and how they know each other so well, so a number of times they go for the same move, or one counters the others offence like they instinctively knew what was coming. As the match progresses too, it evolves form being simple face vs face as they begin getting frustrated and both show little bits of heelishness. The whole story is put across brillaintly on commentary by Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura.

Part 1:

Part 2:

• Paid Members

Rockers vs Orient Express, Royal Rumble 1991.

I remember watching this match, waiting till the rumble finished, rewinding and watching again, not getting to bed till about 4am for a 6:30 start the next day.

It just involved everything I loved about wrestling at the time. Good, tight moves, manager intervention, and action all the way through. the pacing is incredible, and as a warm up match for a PPV, it does it's job perfectly.

Both teams were stuck in the middle of the card at the time, but this was better then any main event I have ever seen.

Rockers vs Orient Express, Royal Rumble 1991.

I remember watching this match, waiting till the rumble finished, rewinding and watching again, not getting to bed till about 4am for a 6:30 start the next day.

It just involved everything I loved about wrestling at the time. Good, tight moves, manager intervention, and action all the way through. the pacing is incredible, and as a warm up match for a PPV, it does it's job perfectly.

Both teams were stuck in the middle of the card at the time, but this was better then any main event I have ever seen.

That is also a brilliant match, which I thought of mentioning too, as well as The Midnight Express vs The Southern Boys from Great American Bash 1990, which is great for exactly the same reasons as the Royal Rumble match. I didn't know if either of them qualified for this thread however as I remembered that they were both openers rather than mid-card.

After checking that out though, I realised that the Bash match was the opener in my old Video of the event, but actually happened a bit further through the card. I used to hate how Turner videos were limited to 2 hours so had lots cut off the actual PPV.

Anyway, they are both well worth a watch and probably my two favourite tag-team matches ever.

While we're waxing lyrical about Beautiful Bobby and Sweet Stan, my favourite match of theirs is from Wrestlewar 90 against the Rock & Roll Express. An absolute classic, from start to finish, even better than the Southern Boys and Pillman / Zenk PPV matches.

They had a fantastic 1990. What a shame it was to be their last year together.

Archived