WCW

WWFChilli

Does anyone agree with me that 1995 was a bit of a chore a lot of the time? A lot of the PPVs featured far too many rematches or rehashes (unless they were the Savage/Flair revival which was very spirited) and even though the arrival of Nitro heralded a new beginning and there were some memorable moments and decent matches, there were also a hell of a lot of characters that I really didnt care for - Evad Sullivan, Renegade and others, and a lot of those early episodes felt like you were just watching last week's again and it was boring at times - can Luger really be trusted? Hogan/Savage vs Dungeon of Doom bollocks over and over again.. zzzzzzz.

Definitely. Too much of it was pretty boring, the midcard was crap and it was all up to the headliners to make things interesting - Flair, Savage, Hogan, Vader etc.

Far too much Duggan and endless Harlem Heat v Nasty Boys too.

There were loads of good heels - AA, Orndorff, Meng, Bubba, Regal, but they couldn't do a whole lot as they had jack shit to work with on the babyface side. So much so, they had to bring main eventers like Sting down to that sorta level.

It did have the emergence of the Loose Cannon though, so it wasn't all bad. Enjoyed the DDP/Johnny B badd series towards the end of the year also, and Double A was always a highlight. I guess they still had Dustin for the first half of the year, but he was getting a bit stale by then too.

Does anyone agree with me that 1995 was a bit of a chore a lot of the time? A lot of the PPVs featured far too many rematches or rehashes (unless they were the Savage/Flair revival which was very spirited) and even though the arrival of Nitro heralded a new beginning and there were some memorable moments and decent matches, there were also a hell of a lot of characters that I really didnt care for - Evad Sullivan, Renegade and others, and a lot of those early episodes felt like you were just watching last week's again and it was boring at times - can Luger really be trusted? Hogan/Savage vs Dungeon of Doom bollocks over and over again.. zzzzzzz.

Definitely. Too much of it was pretty boring, the midcard was crap and it was all up to the headliners to make things interesting - Flair, Savage, Hogan, Vader etc.

Far too much Duggan and endless Harlem Heat v Nasty Boys too.

There were loads of good heels - AA, Orndorff, Meng, Bubba, Regal, but they couldn't do a whole lot as they had jack shit to work with on the babyface side. So much so, they had to bring main eventers like Sting down to that sorta level.

It did have the emergence of the Loose Cannon though, so it wasn't all bad. Enjoyed the DDP/Johnny B badd series towards the end of the year also, and Double A was always a highlight. I guess they still had Dustin for the first half of the year, but he was getting a bit stale by then too.

I thought that 1995 was almost universally regarded as being bloody awful for WCW?

The Dungeon of Doom was just about the worst main event heel group i had ever seen at that point. They were like the anti-nWo; they were deeply uncool, embarrassing to watch and likely to make me turn the channel. The polar opposite of Hall, Nash and the boys.

There was obviously still a load of talent on the roster (as WCW always had so many guys under contract) but far too much time was spent on shite.

• Moderators

Depends where you look. WCW Prime had the Lightning Express and loads of Bunkhouse Buck having fun matches. With the sheer amount of output WCW would put out there was pretty much always something worth watching if you look hard enough.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it was thoroughly unwatchable or anything, just that it was hardly WCW's best year or anything.

Really, if you are a hardcore wrestling fan, you can find something good in most promotions at most times. WWF in 1995 wasn't exactly amazing, but there were still diamonds to be found here and there.

- edit -

wiki says the Lightning Express split up in 1994?

1995 WCW was great i mean how else would they have gotten 100,000 people to attend Bash At The Beach. :rolleyes:

I wish every BATB took place on an actual beach. The card was horrid, but it all looked great. That's one thing I always loved about WCW, all the neat sets and unusual locations. The beach, a shopping mall, Sturgis the following year, and club la vela even later on. Earlier in 1995 they also ran a taping from the middle of a busy city, think it might've been Charlotte. You also had the Disney studios for Nitro over the summer of 96, and the cool set around '94 with the buildings and the long road passing for the aisle.

Btw, what's happened to thebigboot? If a thread like this can't smoke him out, nothing will. :)

• Paid Members

1995 was exceptionally poor, but this is so bad its actually brilliant:

What were they thinking?

Archived