Freddie Mercury

WWFChilli

• Moderators
The guy was a MASSIVE bender though, the sort of vastly rapacious homosexual that could only have existed in the pre-AIDS era. Hearing Brian talk about Freddie's sexual exploits in the late 70s and early 80s, particularly on the German club scene, it sounds frankly terrifying. Even Brian admitted he worried about him a lot, but felt he couldn't talk him out of it. A dangerous and ultimately fatal lifestyle, and it's a pity in a way as I think he'd have loved the sort of living legend status that he would undoubtedly have acquired by now.

There's the story of when he met his longtime partner Jim Hutton (Jim's the one with the 'stache).

tumblr_lcj7zdJxxE1qzoaqio1_500.jpg

When meeting Jim, Freddie came out with this opening gambit:-

I think my mother got me a book from a second-hand shop written by that guy, called "Freddie Bummed Me" or something. I haven't read it.

As it happens, I think getting into Queen in my early teens is the thing that made me the first (and as yet, only) member of my family to not be a raging homophobe.

• Paid Members

I like Queen - not a huge fan though, but I really appreciate their songs. But Freddie Mercury was a genius - immense talent - incredible musician, composer, writer, performer, and his voice; could be the best ever - power with fantastic range & versatility.

Archived