Buying a House

Dork

I have finally taken the plunge and exchanged contracts on a house - which will be ready in the new year.

It feels like a landmark moment in my life and it's very exciting, but there's also that feeling that I'll be skint for the rest of my life.

Anyway, I'm interested in people's advice on the boring stuff - who are the best broadband providers? Which energy companies are the cheapest?

Any good recommendations of where to buy stuff for the house outside of the obvious Ikea, Range etc?

Any little tips or opinions would be appreciated - I'm stepping into the unknown......

Im kinda in the same boat and plan to be buying my own place around this time next year, slightly closer to London for work but still keeping to my routes if its possible. One question I have, if its not too personal, is what kind of deposits people put down on places? For example anything in my area is around

• Paid Members

Good luck with the move. Staying in the city?

In my friend's experience he's not doing brilliantly financially, but that's mainly because he's not always the sensible type with it. It might have something to do with the fact he's from King's Lynn. Anyway, I think times are tight financially for everybody, but like him he's doing fine. Actually I think most of his extra expenses come from his now 2 year old little'un.

Broadband wise, I've got a Sky package that costs a little over

Good luck with the move. Staying in the city?

In my friend's experience he's not doing brilliantly financially, but that's mainly because he's not always the sensible type with it. It might have something to do with the fact he's from King's Lynn. Anyway, I think times are tight financially for everybody, but like him he's doing fine. Actually I think most of his extra expenses come from his now 2 year old little'un.

Broadband wise, I've got a Sky package that costs a little over

We've also got the Sky package with phone, tv and broadband. Like you said it's easier for us to have it altogether plus its perfect for our usage. We bought a lot of our furnishings from BHS (bath towels, bedding, cushions etc.) look out for any sales coming up they have good discounts. Another thing which may be of interest is the government funded free solar electricity schemes that are going on everywhere. We're currently in the process of getting them fitted and if the claims of up to 50% off your leccy bills are true I'll be very pleased with them. And if they're not that efficient, it doesn't matter because we haven't paid a penny for them.

We also put down a 20% deposit for our house, which we paid

For furniture and stuff if the budgets tight, look at freegle/freecycle and various charity furniture shops. It may not be ideal but its a way to sort your house out for furniture relatively cheaply/free. Once its furnished you can always improve, replace when you have the cash

Ask friends and family for stuff they dont want need as well, can often help

As for providers, check uswitch and stuff. Most of the electric providers have just ramped up their prices so they should be on an even keel presently, but some can be cheaper than others if you have both with the same company and pay by direct debit etc.

• Paid Members

I've recently reviewed my finances and seriously trimmed back, the best move I made recently was going to meters for electric and gas, because you become far more careful with how much you are using I have ended up paying a 1/4 on the meter than that of which I was billed on a monthly basis, plus you dont get any bills. I suggest you go onto price comparrison websites for gas and electric and go for a combined tarriff as its cheaper. Also, with your phone, TV & broadband I suggest you go on a combined as well I think BT & Sky are the best for this. Make sure that you dont go for the highest package either, you'd be surprised exactly how much usage you have on your internet, I thought I used loads with uploading, gaming and streming stuff, turns out I use less than 10Gb a month and BT are doing a very good deal at the mo (Plus in my consieration their home hub 3 is the best of the provided routers currently)

I agree with Patdfb as long as your not fussed on gettng brand new stuff then free cycle and friends who are clearing out are a good way forward.

Also dont forget about things like TV Licences etc. these you can get cheaper if you pay by direct debit, but are an absolute necessity.

Gas & Electric Comparrison: http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/ppc...CFYIMfAodGRfCdg

Finally if you are really looking at saving money these guys are pretty cheap and can cover other things such as mobiles and what not too:

http://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

Some excellent responses, thanks all.

To be honest, if I move in with a telly, sofa and fridge I'll be happy, I can add the rest as I go.

Someone else mentioned Wilkinsons to me and I immediately dismissed it, but sounds like it might be worth looking at.

Archived