Cay singer Anet Mook dies

CuckedByMenry

• Paid Members

From NME.com:

"Anet Mook, singer and guitarist in 1990s indie band Cay, has died after being apparently struck by a bus.

The musician passed away in her native Holland earlier this month, where her funeral was held on Thursday (June 15).

Sean Organ, founder of the band's former label Org Records, announced the news of her passing on his blog, Organart.net.

He admitted that details about her death are "a little sketchy at the moment" but that it's believed Mook was struck by a bus in Amsterdam earlier this month.

Mook's former Cay bandmate, drummer Mark Bullock, wrote a lengthy blog after hearing about her death - and was less than complimentary about their relationship.

"I should be honest here: I'm not sure I can say that I even liked Anet," he wrote at sinkofswirlingstars.blogspot.com. "It breaks my heart that Anet is dead. Not because I'll miss her personally or because she and I were ever best friends, but because with her death goes a great deal of passion and possibility."

Bullock then concluded: "I may not have particularly liked her, but I had a lot of respect for Anet. She was my fucking singer, and I'm sorry that I'll never get to hear her voice again."

After forming in London in the mid-'90s, Cay released one album, 1999's 'Nature Creates Freaks', before splitting in 2000. Mook was known to be a drug user, though it's not thought this was a factor in her death.

Little had been heard from Mook and bandmate and partner Nicky Olofssson until news of Mook's death was announced."

In regards to the sketchy details, stories are varying between being hit by either a bus or a train. :/

Without intending to mock the "I was just watching one of his matches" line, I'd only bought their album a week or so ago after spotting it in HMV for next to nothing. Getting all nostalgic for simpler times, I listened to it while Googling them for a read, unaware that she had more than likely passed. Not going to pretend to be a huge fan, and I imagine only a handful of people here can recall them, but it's definitely a shitter.

• Paid Members

i actually wondered what happened to Cay the other day whilst having one of my nostalgia sessions. I used to have a Cay sticker on my bedroom door.

I remember they were being pimped as some kind of British female-fronted Nirvana, they were tipped for big things but just disappeared off the planet after their debut album dropped. I know a friend of mine has the album, i'll have to nab it off him.

Strange to hear this as i'd never really heard anything about her or her band since the beginning of the millenium...im guessing suicide isn't being ruled out at this point.

Recommended them to a mate who likes Pet a while back cos of the raspy loud/ soft voice split and they like that in their female vocalists

Havent listened to the album in eons Liked Skool iirc softer track but still good. Some wierd as song titles like Neutrons Like Brandy iirc.

Rip

I remember her from back in the day. I was never into Cay though, I can't even remember how their songs went. I saw them on the Main stage of Leeds Festival in 2000, it was after that they disappeared for good.

• Paid Members
Recommended them to a mate who likes Pet a while back cos of the raspy loud/ soft voice split and they like that in their female vocalists

Havent listened to the album in eons Liked Skool iirc softer track but still good. Some wierd as song titles like Neutrons Like Brandy iirc.

Rip

It was Neurons Like Brandy, they had to change it from the original title of Nurofen Like Brandy.

Archived