The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During their last administration, there was always the possibility of returning to and redeveloping Feethams but now it has been demolished. I seriously think they are fucked and this campaign waged against the Supporters Trust to get the

• Paid Members

Mark McGhee appointed Bristol Rovers boss.....on the same day Wikipedia is down. Coincidence?

*For those of you that don't understand - McGhee at an Aberdeen press conference told the assembled media "Go and look me up on Wikipedia. I've got a track record".

• Paid Members
The roads around the stadium couldn't cope with any more than 10,000 so its limited to that by planing laws. So even hiring out for concerts etc. wasn't really an option to try and cover the loans

Which is a shame, as I heard that Beyonce was dead set on opening her next world tour up in Darlo - even though it wouldn't be at Feethams, she could still go take a look at the old ground.

It's stupidly complicated

I was reading today that if the stadium land is sold for use for anything other then football, they have to pay 75% of profits generated to Darlington Borough Council due to a covenant, There's also limits to what it can be actually sold for as it won't get planning permission for supermarkets.

They also have loans they need to repay to the investors who own the stadium - as well as paying back the chairmen who put all the money in when they spent loads trying to get promoted, as he only put it in as loans.

I imagine customs having issues with football creditors' rule as well, where those involved with football have to be paid off first.

George Reynolds has destroyed the poor club. The twat is as bent as a nine bob note and gained his fortune from illegal means, mainly safe cracking. He bought Darlington to fuel his own ego as he loved been in the limelight.

The man was deluded, he promised the earth and claimed Darlo would be in the premier league within 5 years of taking charge, he tried to sign Faustino Asprilla but even that nutjob saw the crook for what he was worth.

Unfortunately for Darlington out of all the crackpot ideas Reynolds had the only one that came to fruition was the stadium. Don't get me wrong it is a lovely stadium, but Darlington were never going to fill a 15000 seater stadium, never mind a 25000 seater. The towns population has too many Newcastle fans and plastic supporters of other clubs to sustain a stadium of that size.

The location of it is dreadful as well. It is on the outer reaches of the towns boundary surrounded by farm land,next to a major A road with poor access for public transport and limited parking. Its previous ground Feethams was in the shadow of a mainline train station. If only they refurbished Feethams, Darlo could have been in the upper positions in League 1, possibly the Championship. But they are staring into the abyss and it would be a crying shame if 128 years of history would go up in smoke all because of an egotistical gangster wanting to satisfy his vanity. As a Boro fan I know what its like for your team to be on the edge of extinction and its not a nice place to be in.

However with the current debt situation and the fact that they have no assets of worth, a potential investor would need to be either a huge fan or a fucking idiot.

Thing is, they could have sorted this before. During the last administration, they could have moved back to Feethams but they didn't. They could have cut their losses on the stadium but they didn't. Instead they racked up some more.

I dont think they could move back to Feethams. Going from memory they sold the land to either a property developer or supermarket. The current owners of the land have not been able to develop due to the adjacent cricket club blocking any plans that have been put in front of the council.

• Paid Members

Brighton players in trouble for sexual assault.

Five Brighton and Hove Albion footballers and a Bournemouth FC player have been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman.

Sussex Police said five men from Brighton and one from Dorset were being questioned about an attack in July.

The force said an 18-year-old man, an 19-year-old, two men aged 20 and one aged 24, all from Brighton, and a 20-year-old from Dorset had been arrested.

Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club has not yet commented.

Former Seagulls' player Steve Cook, who was sold to Bournemouth in the summer, is one of the six men who was arrested, the BBC understands.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: "All have been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and taken to different custody centres in Sussex where they will be questioned in relation to an alleged sexual assault on a woman in July last year.

"This was reported at the time and the suspects were identified on Friday last week, January 13, leading to these arrests.

"Four of the men were arrested in Brighton at around 4.20am this morning (Thursday), a fifth, also in Brighton at about 7.20am and the sixth in Dorset at 10.30am."

Archived