2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the realisation is setting in that the new club being given a place in the first division just isn't going to happen, is it?

Even the authorities are indicating they want The Rangers in the SPL within one year of their inception. How can you have a competitive league with integrity and transparency when the governing bodies have already set their stall out whereby it's in their best interests for one team to win? And what would happen if The Rangers found things more difficult in SFL1 than they expected and failed to win promotion? Would they just be promoted anyway?

When you look at it rationally with a sound mind, it's just a totally unworkable option. It's even less feasible than just giving them a free pass to the SPL.

The 3rd division's looking inevitable now, and even that is going soft on them, as they'll have to change the rules to accomodate them and allow them to jump the queue ahead of the likes of Spartans etc. The only slight concession might be some slapdash restructuring to give 3 leagues of 14, giving the new club a chance to be in the SPL within two years rather than three. But even that would be fraught with complications.

That's all if the new club is even in a position to put out a team in the next month. And that's a bigger 'if' than most people assume imo.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster on here, but anyways, my thoughts...

First of all, I'm a Rangers fan.

I think what's most interesting to me is that the SPL, SFA and a lot of the respective chairmen in the SPL are trying to force through a deal that, universally, the fans do not want - and I include Rangers fans in this, as well.

Regarding whether or not Rangers should be allowed in the SPL, my argument is that it's not morally right, but you could argue it's not morally wrong that they remain there. What I mean by this is that, effectively, Rangers league registration is in the predicament it's in because of the parent company going into liquidation. I'm fully aware there are other issues - dual contracts etc - but these are separate issues and shouldn't be taken into account. Now, the argument that Rangers should be relegated to Division 3 as any other newco would is one that I don't neccessarily agree with, but I can fully understand why people do and it's an argument that claims to be "morally right" - ie that it's morally imperative for Rangers to go down to Div 3.

The reason I disagree with this being "morally right" is simple: Rangers are not "any other club" - Rangers (and Celtic) have contributed more to Scottish football than any other club - players for the national team, attracting tv deals, attendances at away matches, representing Scotland in Europe etc. We have given more to Scottish football so, as a result, we should get special treatment, much like if Celtic were in the same situation I would fully support them being allowed back into the SPL.

This, however, seems to have been nixed by other chairmen and "sporting integrity" seems to be the phrase of the day. What profoundly bothers me, however, is how other teams are playing to the base by blasting Rangers, denouncing our actions and claiming to be in support of sporting integrity, yet are trying to manufacture a deal to put us into the 1st Division to allow the tv deal with Sky to continue in it's current form. This isn't what the fans of Rangers want and it's not what the fans of other teams want.I

The reason I'm against it is simple: I don't think it's right that these clubs and the SFA should be kicking us when we're down and then coming to us, cap in hand, looking for us to go into Division 1 to maintain their tv deal. You can't publicly denounce us and then use us as a cash cow. If "sporting integrity" is what they want, then put us into the 3rd division - not whichever division is most convenient for you to save face with your fanbase when you realise the effect Rangers in the 3rd Division would have on your accounts.

St Mirren have came out today and said that they will potentially go into administration if Rangers are not in the SPL, and Motherwell have previously expressed their fear that something similar will happen to them. I don't much care for the media in Scotland but the Daily Record would not have ran that story unless there was evidence that there were secret talks going on. What the Rangers fans want, generally, is to be allowed into the SPL without any sanctions. This obviously will not happen, so we'd rather be put down to the 3rd Division and build our way back up - a Rangers in the SPL with huge sanctions and points penalties does nothing but benefit everyone else and will likely put us in a relegation fight.

My own personal feeling is that we should go down to Division 3. Even if there was an offer on the table to come back into the SPL with no penalties I'd still rather go down. I think we'd need to in order to cleanse ourselves of what's happened at the club and I don't think we could hold our heads high if we stayed where we are. I think Rangers should go down to the 3rd Division not because we "have to", but because it sends a message that we're going to rebuild from the ground up and come back stronger. Also, on a more vindictive note, it calls the bluff of the chairmen who have been so quick to put the boot into us and cry "sporting integrity", but have been even quicker to use us as an ATM.

Regarding whether or not Rangers should be allowed in the SPL, my argument is that it's not morally right, but you could argue it's not morally wrong that they remain there. What I mean by this is that, effectively, Rangers league registration is in the predicament it's in because of the parent company going into liquidation. I'm fully aware there are other issues - dual contracts etc - but these are separate issues and shouldn't be taken into account. Now, the argument that Rangers should be relegated to Division 3 as any other newco would is one that I don't neccessarily agree with, but I can fully understand why people do and it's an argument that claims to be "morally right" - ie that it's morally imperative for Rangers to go down to Div 3.

No- "any other newco" would have to re-apply to join the Scottish Football League with other interested clubs from the East of Scotland League, Highland League etc.

When are some people going to realise that none of this is a punishment for wrongdoings.

No- "any other newco" would have to re-apply to join the Scottish Football League with other interested clubs from the East of Scotland League, Highland League etc.

When are some people going to realise that none of this is a punishment for wrongdoings.

Given that any vacancy in the SFL structure is open to admissions from prospective teams, I think this is an absolute formality. You're not going to tell me that the infrastructure, fan backing and player quality of Rangers would prevent them from being admitted immediately?

Given that any vacancy in the SFL structure is open to admissions from prospective teams, I think this is an absolute formality. You're not going to tell me that the infrastructure, fan backing and player quality of Rangers would prevent them from being admitted immediately?

'Rangers' don't exist anymore. The team applying to join the SFL would be a new company who acquired the assets of Rangers. As it stands their lack of financial records should exclude them from applying at all, so that immediately is a dispensation that this newco would gain simply because of the Rangers connection.

You said any other newco would be relegated to Division 3, when in reality this would happen to no other newco. I dont think Kane Hemmings will spread fear through many defences, third division or not- and lastly I wouldnt be assuming anything to do with "newco" Rangers is an absolute formality judging by the previous 5 months since the now virtually defunct Rangers were placed in administration.

'Rangers' don't exist anymore. The team applying to join the SFL would be a new company who acquired the assets of Rangers. As it stands their lack of financial records should exclude them from applying at all, so that immediately is a dispensation that this newco would gain simply because of the Rangers connection.

Well, the company that owned Rangers don't exist. The badge, the stadium, the training ground, the players (Well, some of them) and the fans still exist.

Well, the company that owned Rangers don't exist. The badge, the stadium, the training ground, the players (Well, some of them) and the fans still exist.

:confused:

• Paid Members

What infrastructure? They don't even know if they will be playing at Ibrox next season.

The "Loyal Bears" were quick to walk away when your lot were shite and winning nothing back in the 1980's. There is nothing to suggest it wouldn't happen again.

As for player quality, Wallace, McCulloch and a bunch of 17 year-olds will hardly set the 3rd division alight.

Rangers were the company; ergo they don't exist anymore. Neither do Airdrieonians or Gretna FC, Airdie Utd and Gretna 2008 may play at the same ground, but they're not the same club and don't have that club's history. For instance I don't think the newco will be allowed to put a star above their badge, since they haven't won any European trophies.

The Rangers stars are to represent 10 titles won, they did that just after they won their 50th, the old club should be getting those stripped though (from 1999 anyway)

Love the bull shit in the press about financial armageddon to the clubs in the SFL, these teams don't play Rangers apart from the odd Cup tie and they will get about

Rangers were the company; ergo they don't exist anymore. Neither do Airdrieonians or Gretna FC, Airdie Utd and Gretna 2008 may play at the same ground, but they're not the same club and don't have that club's history. For instance I don't think the newco will be allowed to put a star above their badge, since they haven't won any European trophies.

In honesty, they can put as many stars as they like on the badge, it is up to them. I mean Man City have three on theirs and that is for decoration.

Archived