Anyone know how to extract text from an executable flash file?

King Pitcos

I've got an old scripts.exe file on a CD-ROM with some scripts in (I didn't create the file). The only way to read them is within the application (it's a basic Macromedia presentation), but I'd like to be able to just rip the text out into a standard text document. The text isn't highlightable so I can't copy and paste it from within the program, but I'm hoping I can somehow explore the uncompiled contents of the application. I don't know how to do this, but I assume it is possible. I tried exploring the CD-ROM, but the scripts were nowhere to be found as separate files on there. Help!

I've extracted three swf files from the exe, but they're just three 3kb graphic buttons and that's all the swf extractor came up with. The exe is 12MB, and contains more graphics, twenty-odd scripts and a bit of music. Am I just naive in thinking it can be decompiled, or is it possible in Dreamweaver or some Macromedia editing program? I don't expect to be able to take a JPEG and put it into Photoshop and extract all the various layers that it was made with, and this might be the same thing.

I've downloaded and installed the trial of Adobe Flash Pro, but don't know what to do from there. It won't let me import the .exe, and I'm not sure what kind of project to open. Although I've just opened the .exe with text editor and the script is all in there, so I can copy it out of that, it's just gonna be a ballache going through all the squiggles and symbols. Thanks for the help, men.

Archived